How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?

YLN

How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum number of points you require this season for Gerrard to keep his job?

• 52 (+16)
    • 48 (+12)
    • 46 (+10)
    • 44 (+8)
    • 42 (+6)
    • 40 (+4)
    • No minimum - I want him to keep the job regardless

This poll is closed to new votes

6 hours ago, KMitch said:

I love Deano...  Favorite manager of my entire 16 years following the sport and supporting the Villa, but that bridge has been burnt.  The board would need to throw big money at a Mourinho-type appointment, promise to give him 4-5 years without any interference with the squad, and a war chest as big as FFP allows for.  The money and foundation is there to take this team into Europe for a proven elite manager...  We know our owners have the ambition to get us there, but it will take a much higher profile proven manager than Gerrard or Smith lead us on the pitch.  

Exactly where I am.

If Stevie G doesn't work out we have to change our approach to appointing managers.

You want top 6 in the PL get a guy in who has done that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Exactly where I am.

If Stevie G doesn't work out we have to change our approach to appointing managers.

I'm sure the club will be beating them off with sticks 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Exactly where I am.

Ancelotti would be the answer if he doesn't stay in Madrid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Could easily be. I think our owners’ attitude to Villa’s development means their judgement of Gerrard will be the same as Gerrard’s judgement of his playing staff.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Happily take Unai Emery :)  

Unless Villareal win the CL this year they'll miss out on it next season. Maybe he's interested in coming back to England?

Fwiw I thing Gerrard is safe no matter what. Would need to lose every game remaining of the season and be pelted with Brussels sprouts at the final home game for the club to entertain letting him go.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

Unless Villareal win the CL this year they'll miss out on it next season. Maybe he's interested in coming back to England?

Fwiw I thing Gerrard is safe no matter what. Would need to lose every game remaining of the season and be pelted with Brussels sprouts at the final home game for the club to entertain letting him go.

Are sprouts the new choice of food to throw, what happened to tomatoes, eggs or rice?

1 minute ago, sne said:

Really not so sure he is.

I think the club might balk at his plans. 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Are sprouts the new choice of food to throw, what happened to tomatoes, eggs or rice?

Anything from the cabbage family is good.

• Haha 3

On 13/04/2022 at 18:18, hippo said:

All true and I agree your GT analysis.

The comparison I made was a guy talking tough but failing to deliver.

The Digne/Target deal reminds of the Steve foster / Paul Elliot transfer.

It was Doug's first real move in hiring and firing managers IMO he let GT go on far too long because of this. I'm hoping that Purslow isn't so invested in SG that he makes the same mistake.

Billy McNeil always carries the can for relegation - but as you quite rightly say - Turner had left the club in a pretty bad shape.

Do you know what you are alluding to here, Hippo?

• Haha 1

On 14/04/2022 at 02:02, ThunderPower_14 said:

Not in 2021/22 we weren't, we were sitting 15th with 10 points from 11 games and in an effective freefall at the time of Smith's sacking. 

Again, if you took a league table from the day Gerrard took over, we'd be 10th. 

The loss of Grealish and the new need to completely rebuild our front half in a different style was always going to be an enormous challenge this season and it absolutely has been. 

Smith couldn't do it with a summer to prepare, and Gerrard has been inconsistent but certainly hasn't totally bombed. He's at least earned an offseason and he'll need to show improvement next season when it's fully his team and players. I have no doubt the owners will be ruthless and move him on if he doesn't improve us, but they hired him for a reason and they have to give him an opportunity to realise his vision. 

So if Smith had the whole of this season, you don't think he would have picked up some form and some wins?

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

So if Smith had the whole of this season, you don't think he would have picked up some form and some wins?

Of all the mangers in the world Dean has form for turning things around. Look at our first season back post lock down. Gerrard too in fairness got past one dire run. It's the dire runs being longer than the brief interludes that concerns me! 

9 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Possibly, I absolutely loved Smith, but the owners had obviously decided that they didn't think he could take us further. 

Gerrard might not be that man either, but you have to at least give him 1 summer to implement his vision. Take solace in the fact that we know the owners won't give him forever if he doesn't push us forward next year. 

14 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Possibly, I absolutely loved Smith, but the owners had obviously decided that they didn't think he could take us further. 

Gerrard might not be that man either, but you have to at least give him 1 summer to implement his vision. Take solace in the fact that we know the owners won't give him forever if he doesn't push us forward next year. 

It’s not down to me to give him a summer, but if it were I definitely wouldn’t.

the year is 2022, players are brought with a system in mind and clubs deviating from that are really stupid with the amounts of money involved.

All giving him a summer will do is buying players to fit a different system, likely selling players a replacement manager would have wanted and he has done less than nothing this season to warrant that privilege.