How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?

YLN

How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum number of points you require this season for Gerrard to keep his job?

• 52 (+16)
    • 48 (+12)
    • 46 (+10)
    • 44 (+8)
    • 42 (+6)
    • 40 (+4)
    • No minimum - I want him to keep the job regardless

This poll is closed to new votes

This is hard for me to answer.  

I think he’ll keep his job if he gets another two wins despite how poor that would be.  

I will answer 10 points but looking at the fixtures and our form I’m struggling to see three wins and a draw in the next 7 fixtures.  Man City and Liverpool I’ve ruled out.  

Leicester and Palace will be difficult, so the eyes are on Burnley x2 and Norwich game.  So 10 points from 5 games, 15 points, seems a stretch in our form hence I think he’ll be ok with two wins with the board but I would want 10 points.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YLN said:

Even if he loses every game until the end of the season? I think a return of zero points from the final 33 available would mean his own mother would be calling for his head, if she was a Villa fan. Which she probably isn't.

They don’t call her Villa Momma for nothing. 

I would think it depends a lot on the conversations that go on, on an incremental basis...and the results we post.

• If the club see it as a player problem, in terms of holes in the squad, he will be given the summer.
  • If the conversations are not of a feasible nature and the club feel, he is out of his depth, a culling could happen, but I can't see that.
  • If we start to find some form and results, the rest of the headlines is chip paper.
  • The club will know if the conversations are of a comprehendable nature or Bull****.......I suspect they are the former.

But any manager, cannot preside for too long over defeats.....I think he will get the summer.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And it would be pathetic.

It will be his first return to Villa Park he will be getting a good reception anyway. A pathetic performance and a loss would definitely have the crowd turned

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It will be his first return to Villa Park he will be getting a good reception anyway. A pathetic performance and a loss would definitely have the crowd turned

I'm all for Deano getting his deserved reception, banners etc. ( I've always said that )

None of the rest is productive or beneficial to Aston Villa AT ALL.

It's also quite cringe that this " losing 11 games in a row thing " almost seems like a fantasy some people are genuinely excited about and almost willing into existence for their own satisfaction.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm all for Deano getting his deserved reception, banners etc. ( I've always said that )

None of the rest is productive to Aston Villa AT ALL.

It's also quite cringe that this " losing 11 games in a row thing " almost seems like a fantasy some people are genuinely excited about and almost willing into existence for their own satisfaction.

Well I dont think we will lose every game, its probably not possible but I struggle to see where the next win is coming from. Some people are too high on the Gerrard bandwagon or not wanting to look like a sacking club like Watford that the serious red flags are being ignored. We are not in a healthy spot with this management team not just Gerrard. Beale has shown nothing yet and McAllister has always seemed a yes man

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

None of the rest is productive or beneficial to Aston Villa AT ALL.

The losing 11 in a row is extreme but I think the originators are showing a point.  

We’ve lost four games so far, we have Man City and Liverpool in the next 7 which given our form and general results against the top 8 almost seem like bankers for them, so it may come down to five games.  

Leicester and Palace, difficult fixtures for us and then 3 games you’d be looking to get close to maximum points from in Norwich and the always troublesome Burnley for us.

5 games, 15 points…what would be acceptable? 2 wins, 3 wins? Feels hard to see three wins if I’m honest but let’s say three wins.  That’ll then be 9 points in 11 games.  If we only get 2 wins it’ll be 6 points in 11 games.  Anything following the run since Xmas plus this is weak.

I think we have to try and get 3 wins in the next 7 games, it’s a tough ask!  We could easily get just 1 win and a couple of draws, which is too close to zero wins in total points wise than I care to think about.  

I think the form we are in, low confidence at both ends of the pitch we need to dig out a few victories just to not feel so glum going into the summer.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

lol wtf is this thread, what a joke.

Im neither pro or anti Gerrard, but my lord, the Gerrard bed wetting right now is dialled up to 11, there are some serious agenda's going on.

Really, it doesnt matter how many points Gerrard gets this season i dont think, i cant see Purslow pulling the trigger this season no matter what, i think Gerrard will get the summer window (which they are all already in advanced planning for - as they have said), and i imagine he will be judged on what he does next season, once he has had a window to sort the squad out.

There's 2 weeks to the next game. The reasoning for the thread is in the post. It's an assumption i made that if Villa lost every game between now and the end of the season he would be sacked. So if that's true, the question i had then was how many points does he need to not get sacked. 

It's a little thought experiment to pass the time until the next match, but it seems that there is a large group who wouldn't want him sacked even if he did lose every game until the end of the season. So my assumption is false.

No bedwetting 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Really? I'm not sure. I mean yes it would be unthinkable that we don't win another game this season, but even if that did happen with survival assured and a summer window, surely he would carry on?

If we lost every single game left we'd likely finish 16th or 17th. In what way is that good enough? So we're saying that placing in early November isn't good enough so we sack one manager yet one who finishes us there should get another 100m + spend.

And let's not forget the backing he's already had in Jan window.

I think we'll win a couple of games anyway and muddle through to finish 11th or 12th so he'll get next season anyway.

It’s fine, it’s just a hypothetical. We’ve had them posed before in the manager threads before - “how many points does Bruce need from the next three matches to keep his job?”. No harm in gauging what people think is the bear minimum in a separate thread IMO.

I agree, there’s no way a manager could lose eleven matches in a row and expect to still be in position. So there is a minimum requirement. In hypothetical land, if we did lose the next seven matches, I’d be curious to see how many of those who say they want him regardless, would actually still be of that opinion.

As it happens I don’t think we’ll lose the next seven and I don’t think it’s very many points required to smooth things over. A lot can be written off as a sort of transition period. A bit of upheaval. It would have to be pretty bad for any action to take place.

My own requirements, I don’t know, nothing too specific. A couple of wins, one or two draws. Something like that. Around 42/43 points I guess.

I will say the worse it ends this season, the less time he will have next season if things haven’t started particularly well. ‘Tis the way of things. The glow of winning comfortably at Elland Road can only keep us warm for so long.

LOL this looks like it's turning into a second SG thread...

I've already made my reasons clear for wanting to keep SG in the original thread and I'm not going to repeat myself. That said, with two fixtures against Burnley and one against Norwich, if he can't get at least 4 points from 7 matches, then even I will ask questions. So I answered 4.

Edited by TomC