How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?

YLN

How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum number of points you require this season for Gerrard to keep his job?

• 52 (+16)
    • 48 (+12)
    • 46 (+10)
    • 44 (+8)
    • 42 (+6)
    • 40 (+4)
    • No minimum - I want him to keep the job regardless

This poll is closed to new votes

13 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

So just for fun. If Gerrard left within the next 3 months (for whatever reason, off to Liverpool or sacked because he lost every game, whatever the reason) and Norwich got relegated.

Would you have Dean Smith back?

For me, yes. And thats pretty rare because I cant think of any other ex manager I would want back. 

My heart would say yes but it’s a definite no for me.  Too much gone under the bridge now, like Hippo says 2nd time doesn’t often work, half the fan base thought it was time for him to go, maybe a bit of bad blood, the board did it for a reason to move up to the next step so have to continue with that and truly find the next level manager this time.

• Thanks 1

I  dont see the point of these types of threads. This seasons hes finding out about players in readiness for a mass turnover in the summer.  Judge him next season when hes got the players he wants. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I  dont see the point of these types of threads. This seasons hes finding out about players in readiness for a mass turnover in the summer.  Judge him next season when hes got the players he wants. 

If he makes it that long 😉

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

i think he will 

Me too but kind of the point of the thread of how bad it has to be when maybe he doesn’t.  The fact that this thread has been opened shows people are worried and it’s not a forgone fact that he will stay or should stay if results and performances continue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Me too but kind of the point of the thread of how bad it has to be when maybe he doesn’t.  The fact that this thread has been opened shows people are worried and it’s not a forgone fact that he will stay or should stay if results and performances continue.

Performances more than points. If we produce more performances like we did in the first half against Spurs and against Southampton then this shouldnt be an issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yeah after two weeks of this thread we’ll probably go and smash Leicester 5-0 and we’ll laugh at this thread.  He’s hoping 🤞

TBF the last time we were all at panic stations on here was after losing to Watford at home. Same stuff was being posted then about barely winning another game and we won our next three fixtures to aggregate score of 9-0. Shame we haven't built on that purple patch though...

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Performances more than points. If we produce more performances like we did in the first half against Spurs and against Southampton then this shouldnt be an issue. 

Yep I’m hoping so but the constant early sloppy goals as somebody detailed earlier in another thread and our lack of taking chances worries me.  We can point to some periods of good performance but for me we are seeing far more poor periods of performance game after game that needs to be cut out.  As somebody mentioned while was a good performance first half against Spurs they soaked up a lot of pressure after the first goal and still sliced through us easily towards the end of the half and it’s just easier to forget the second half than cry through reliving it.

My worry for games like Burnley is conceding an early goal and them just bullying us the rest of the game and us never taking any of the half chances we create because we also have a poor creation rate and xG.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

TBF the last time we were all at panic stations on here was after losing to Watford at home. Same stuff was being posted then about barely winning another game and we won our next three fixtures to aggregate score of 9-0. Shame we haven't built on that purple patch though...

I know we are more Jekyll and Hyde than some of my ex’s.  Great six game start, then bad run, then 3 good games and then now on a bad run again.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

He's finding out about around 13 players as that's as many as he's given regular starts to. And he's not learning much considering he keeps persisting with the likes of McGinn.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

So just for fun. If Gerrard left within the next 3 months (for whatever reason, off to Liverpool or sacked because he lost every game, whatever the reason) and Norwich got relegated.

For me, yes. And thats pretty rare because I cant think of any other ex manager I would want back. 

Sounds absurd. Two relatively unqualified managers, and Villa would then act like they are the only ones in the world. As if Man Utd would switch back and forth between Ole and Michael Carrick forever.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

No I love Dean Smith for what he did but never go back. He is better than what we currently have but replacing him was to bring in a superior replacement 

Since then we brought in a clown 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Well he isnt managing a League 2 team with no budget. He should know who the players are before he joined

Gerrard gets too many excuses from Villa fans. We could lose 10-0 with Martinez being replaced by Buendia in goal and people would still stand up for him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Thats 1 and a half performances out of the last 6 I think. 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

He's finding out about around 13 players as that's as many as he's given regular starts to. And he's not learning much considering he keeps persisting with the likes of McGinn.

He has learned that McGinn does a pretty kickass comedy act 

I cant remember if it was Leeds or Southampton we were comfortably ahead and with about 8 minutes left he brought on Ashley Young to see what he can do

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No I love Dean Smith for what he did but never go back. He is better than what we currently have but replacing him was to bring in a superior replacement 

Since then we brought in a clown 

Would you take Ronald McDonald over what we have now?

9 hours ago, duke313 said:

We already were a mid table premier league side.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

We were a mid table though with our highest league finish since 2011 and most points since 2010

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Smith made us a midtable side with an 11th placed finish, not SG

Not in 2021/22 we weren't, we were sitting 15th with 10 points from 11 games and in an effective freefall at the time of Smith's sacking. 

Again, if you took a league table from the day Gerrard took over, we'd be 10th. 

The loss of Grealish and the new need to completely rebuild our front half in a different style was always going to be an enormous challenge this season and it absolutely has been. 

Smith couldn't do it with a summer to prepare, and Gerrard has been inconsistent but certainly hasn't totally bombed. He's at least earned an offseason and he'll need to show improvement next season when it's fully his team and players. I have no doubt the owners will be ruthless and move him on if he doesn't improve us, but they hired him for a reason and they have to give him an opportunity to realise his vision.