How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?

YLN

How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum number of points you require this season for Gerrard to keep his job?

• 52 (+16)
    • 48 (+12)
    • 46 (+10)
    • 44 (+8)
    • 42 (+6)
    • 40 (+4)
    • No minimum - I want him to keep the job regardless

This poll is closed to new votes

If Gerrard wins every game until the end of the season, obviously he remains the manager for next season. If he loses every game until the end of the season, he obviously should not be the manager next season as that would be 11 losses in a row. I think that much is clear

So presumably there's a number of points between zero and 33 where he loses his job. What is the minimum number of points he has to get before the end of the season to keep his job then? Is six points from the remaining 21 available enough? I think 6 or fewer and he should be sacked, as that would be a finishing run of 6 points from an available 33, which is the equivalent of ~21 points for the season. Would fewer than 11 points from the remaining games be enough - a finishing run of 11 points from 33 available - 38 points across a season on averages.

I think he'll get between 6 and 11 points and keep his job. Any less than that and he should be sacked.

TLDR; For you, what is the minimum number of points you require Gerrard to get this season before you're calling for his head? Not what do you think the club will allow him to get away with.

Just now, Wurzel said:

His job isn't in danger is it? I would fully expect him to be given at least the summer to get players in that fit his style of play.

I reckon it is tbh.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Wurzel said:

His job isn't in danger is it? I would fully expect him to be given at least the summer to get players in that fit his style of play.

it’s not

Edit - though I also said Grealish would never leave.

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

A manager who doesn't get a point from 11 games is dead meat regardless of their name. I think he needs ten points for the experiment to continue

Edited by Dale

2 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

His job isn't in danger is it? I would fully expect him to be given at least the summer to get players in that fit his style of play, and surely he should be? I get the feeling the board haven't got Gerrard in without realising there was major surgery needed to progress.

I am not sure about that. Surely thats why the last manager got sacked that they did think the players were good enough

2 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

His job isn't in danger is it? I would fully expect him to be given at least the summer to get players in that fit his style of play, and surely he should be? I get the feeling the board haven't got Gerrard in without realising there was major surgery needed to progress.

Even if he loses every game until the end of the season? I think a return of zero points from the final 33 available would mean his own mother would be calling for his head, if she was a Villa fan. Which she probably isn't.

Just now, Dale said:

A manager who doesn't get a point from 11 games is dead meat regardless of their name. I think he needs ten points for three experiment to continue

Really? I'm not sure. I mean yes it would be unthinkable that we don't win another game this season, but even if that did happen with survival assured and a summer window, surely he would carry on?

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I am not sure about that. Surely thats why the last manager got sacked that they did think the players were good enough

Indeed after the Jan window - CP was quoted as saying he was looking forward to a strong 2nd half of the season.

• Like 1

Really? I'm not sure. I mean yes it would be unthinkable that we don't win another game this season, but even if that did happen with survival assured and a summer window, surely he would carry on?

Not a chance in my view. 

• Like 1

If he lost every game (including Norwich at home) that would either cause or be the cause of some serious unrest at the club.

Purslow would have to act.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Indeed after the Jan window - CP was quoted as saying he was looking forward to a strong 2nd half of the season.

I've given you Coutinho and you've gone backwards would be the conversation... 

• Like 4

Just now, hippo said:

including Norwich at home

The crowd would well and truly turn. Would hear Dean Smith's claret and blue army very loudly 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

No way, if a manager loses 11 games on the trot, how could he not be fired?  I don’t think this will happen in the slightest.

14 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

no which means this thread could be applied to every manager in the league...yes, even pep or klopp. as i doubt they'd be given the summer if they lost every single remaining game

it's almost worth an 'in before the lock' gif

• Haha 1

I’m sure there are others threads on the forum to talk about the manager, maybe like the managers thread? 🤣