How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?

YLN

How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum number of points you require this season for Gerrard to keep his job?

• 52 (+16)
    • 48 (+12)
    • 46 (+10)
    • 44 (+8)
    • 42 (+6)
    • 40 (+4)
    • No minimum - I want him to keep the job regardless

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

According to this we have an easier run in till the end of the season, using opponents average PPG. In theory I agree with this slightly, we should have a chance to take points from Burnley x2, Norwich, Leicester (although they are hitting form) and Palace. It's unlikely we'll win against Liverpool and Man City especially with the title race still going on, however this is the Premier League and anything can happen.

Teams with lower PPG to this point are about to become much more difficult to beat owing to the relegation battle. It happens every year.  Similarly, sides chasing European football.  Basically you're looking for the teams playing in flip flops at this stage of the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Teams with lower PPG to this point are about to become much more difficult to beat owing to the relegation battle. It happens every year.  Similarly, sides chasing European football.  Basically you're looking for the teams playing in flip flops at this stage of the season.

Yep - I think we beat both spurs and Chelsea towards the end of last season.

The whole dynamic changes for example it will get to a stage where single points are no good for Watford and Norwich - so they will be less likely to shut up shop and play for a point.

Just now, hippo said:

Yep - I think we beat both spurs and Chelsea towards the end of last season.

The whole dynamic changes for example it will get to a stage where single points are no good for Watford and Norwich - so they will be less likely to shut up shop and play for a point.

Chelsea were still competing for top 4 and a champions league spot at the time so bad example. Then Leicester bottled it and they went on to win the CL anyway.

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Chelsea were still competing for top 4 and a champions league spot at the time so bad example. Then Leicester bottled it and they went on to win the CL anyway.

Were they ? - I thought they backed off as the CL final was only days later. 

I really hope we're not considering replacing Gerrard until at least January next season - not because I think he's particularly great or anything, but just sacking managers early doors after bad spells is an awful way to go about things. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's true, Burnley have been a banana skid for us for the last few seasons as well so I really hate that fixture. I just hope we can put this losing streak to bed and finish decently.

I just don't see that he can be sacked without an absolutely disastrous end to the season. 

He's made us a mid table side Premier League. Of course we'd like to be better than that, but the owners will give him time to bed in and have an offseason to shape his team.

If you take a league table from November 11th when he joined until now, we're sitting 10th with 26 points from 20 games. Again, not great, but not disastrous and enough to give him a summer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I just don't see that he can be sacked without an absolutely disastrous end to the season. 

He's made us a mid table side Premier League. Of course we'd like to be better than that, but the owners will give him time to bed in and have an offseason to shape his team.

If you take a league table from November 11th when he joined until now, we're sitting 10th with 26 points from 20 games. Again, not great, but not disastrous and enough to give him a summer. 

We already were a mid table premier league side.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

We were a mid table though with our highest league finish since 2011 and most points since 2010

I've been on here for years and years, and we always want to sack the manager. 

We just have short periods of time where we refuse to admit it. 

Love you guys, never change. 😅❤️

Edited by daft

6 hours ago, hippo said:

He reminds me of Graham Turner in the mid 80s - who came in with the tough guy approach and amazingly said publicly 

"The Mortimer and Bremner era is over"

One pundit wrote on his epitaph 

'he sowed the seeds of dressing room discontent - which never really healed"

.....and that involved a massive turnover of players...

SG is no Graham Turner. He was a "yes man" and he allowed HDE to pull his strings.

He took over the former champions of Europe from Tony Barton in the summer of 1984 and contributed significantly to our being relegated, having been sacked in the September of our relegation 1986/87 season. His managerial experience was at Shrewsbury, before he joined us.  As a player he played for Wrexham, Chester and Shrewsbury.  SG is an England international who has won major trophies as a player and had won the league with Rangers, before joining us.

Graham Turner ranks as one of our worst managers, given time SG may earn his place amongst our best. He will be given the time for us to be able to find out. 

32 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I would be absolutely shocked if he was fired this Summer. He will get a transfer window & a training camp to justify his tactics & style of play. 

If the unthinkable happens and we don't get anymore points this season then everyone should be sacked. 

We have Norwich to play and Burnley twice, so surely we've got some points there. 

We played much better against Spurs, we just couldn't score. 

I hope he gets the summer at least, I'm seeing enough improvement to warrant that.

We don't wanna be sacking every manager at the first sign of discontent, we aint Watford

2 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

That's true, Burnley have been a banana skid for us for the last few seasons as well so I really hate that fixture. I just hope we can put this losing streak to bed and finish decently.

what a banana skid?......is it a long poo mark in your pants, with a bend in it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, John said:

SG is no Graham Turner. He was a "yes man" and he allowed HDE to pull his strings.

He took over the former champions of Europe from Tony Barton in the summer of 1984 and contributed significantly to our being relegated, having been sacked in the September of our relegation 1986/87 season. His managerial experience was at Shrewsbury, before he joined us.  As a player he played for Wrexham, Chester and Shrewsbury.  SG is an England international who has won major trophies as a player and had won the league with Rangers, before joining us.

Graham Turner ranks as one of our worst managers, given time SG may earn his place amongst our best. He will be given the time for us to be able to find out. 

All true and I agree your GT analysis.

The comparison I made was a guy talking tough but failing to deliver.

The Digne/Target deal reminds of the Steve foster / Paul Elliot transfer.

It was Doug's first real move in hiring and firing managers IMO he let GT go on far too long because of this. I'm hoping that Purslow isn't so invested in SG that he makes the same mistake.

Billy McNeil always carries the can for relegation - but as you quite rightly say - Turner had left the club in a pretty bad shape.