How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?

YLN

How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum number of points you require this season for Gerrard to keep his job?

• 52 (+16)
    • 48 (+12)
    • 46 (+10)
    • 44 (+8)
    • 42 (+6)
    • 40 (+4)
    • No minimum - I want him to keep the job regardless

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, YLN said:

There's 2 weeks to the next game. The reasoning for the thread is in the post. It's an assumption i made that if Villa lost every game between now and the end of the season he would be sacked. So if that's true, the question i had then was how many points does he need to not get sacked. 

It's a little thought experiment to pass the time until the next match, but it seems that there is a large group who wouldn't want him sacked even if he did lose every game until the end of the season. So my assumption is false.

No bedwetting 

No bedwetting? This is a saturated mattress of a thread. The title alone is doom-bait.

Just now, Zatman said:

40 percent completed already 

My biggest concern with him is his record against the better sides. Yes they are better but smith still pulled some wins off against the better sides,  plop, arsenal chelsea, spurs.

Gerrards lost to them all.

10 is the absolute minimum for me IMO. There are 5 winnable games (Burnley X2, Norwich, Palace, Leicester) - I don't expect anything out of Liverpool or Citeh. 

What is very important for me is the manner in which we play and approach these games. 

I need to see something from Gerrard that gives me hope because I haven't yet. The closest comparison I can give is Steve Bruce so far.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lexicon said:

10 is the absolute minimum for me IMO. There are 5 winnable games (Burnley X2, Norwich, Palace, Leicester) - I don't expect anything out of Liverpool or Citeh. 

What is very important for me is the manner in which we play and approach these games. 

I need to see something from Gerrard that gives me hope because I haven't yet. The closest comparison I can give is Steve Bruce so far.

He reminds me of Graham Turner in the mid 80s - who came in with the tough guy approach and amazingly said publicly 

"The Mortimer and Bremner era is over"

One pundit wrote on his epitaph 

'he sowed the seeds of dressing room discontent - which never really healed"

.....and that involved a massive turnover of players...

According to this we have an easier run in till the end of the season, using opponents average PPG. In theory I agree with this slightly, we should have a chance to take points from Burnley x2, Norwich, Leicester (although they are hitting form) and Palace. It's unlikely we'll win against Liverpool and Man City especially with the title race still going on, however this is the Premier League and anything can happen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

If we lost every single game left we'd likely finish 16th or 17th. In what way is that good enough? So we're saying that placing in early November isn't good enough so we sack one manager yet one who finishes us there should get another 100m + spend.

And let's not forget the backing he's already had in Jan window.

I think we'll win a couple of games anyway and muddle through to finish 11th or 12th so he'll get next season anyway.

I still think bringing SG in, was expected that he will build his own team, in time.

I suspect part of Dean's exit, was the squad he assembled, was not sufficient to sustain any semblance of consistency and not JUST the 5 defeats......SG is still working with those players primarily, that will be a significant component in their thinking.

With that said.....Until he shows what his team can do, meaning  significant additions to the squad and to redress the balance of it.....His job is only been partly appraised by the club.

He will be given the chance to see what he can build.

Edited by TRO

No chance he gets the sack. If he loses 11 in a row, yeah ok maybe.. but that's not going to happen.

All those saying 10 points or he goes are on crack. That's 3 wins and a draw. So 4 losses. He's just lost 4 games and isn't in danger. 

It'd have to be something like 3 points. A win Vs Norwich and 6 losses.

He's our manager next season, 99.98% certainty

• Like 1

Ten points won't be the minimum or close to it, last season we took 36 points from our final 27 games, Gerrard has taken 26 points from the 20 games he's had so far, so if we take another 10 points this season, then we will have matched the points total from those final 27 games last season.

Games against Norwich, Burnley twice, and Palace should give us an excellent chance of picking up a decent haul of points, and i don't think Leicester away should be written off either, normally would be a little more lenient with that game, but we really need to end this losing streak we're on and also show we can get results in games where we're second favorites, so would be more disappointed than usual not to get a result in that game given the circumstances.

That's kind of the positive way of looking at it, but if we were to have a disastrous end to the season and only pick up a few more points then I think his job would come under threat, as it wouldn't be just about the final seven games, but hows done overall which wouldn't look great, we've taken 14 points from the last 12 games, if we were to take just a few more points between now and the end of the season that would mean we would have shown relegation form over the last twenty or so games, a significant chunk of the season, we've got a big summer coming up and to need to make sure we've got the right manager so I think the owners would be asking serious questions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Ten points won't be the minimum or close to it, last season we took 36 points from our final 27 games, Gerrard has taken 26 points from the 20 games he's had so far, so if we take another 10 points this season, then we will have matched the points total from those final 27 games last season.

I thought that was a bad thing?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nick76 said:

No way, if a manager loses 11 games on the trot, how could he not be fired?  I don’t think this will happen in the slightest.

Ordinarily no, but the current narrative is that he doesn't have the right players to do the job he wants. Gerrard will argue for a summer window to address the issue and ask to be judged next season.

Personally I think a bad tradesman blames his tools and he needs to change his approach in the short term to maximise the attributes of the players currently at his disposal. The fact he isn't points to him feeling his job is safe this season. So to answer your question, I think he keeps his job regardless of results. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Games against Norwich, Burnley twice, and Palace should give us an excellent chance of picking up a decent haul of points, and i don't think Leicester away should be written off either, normally would be a little more lenient with that game, but we really need to end this losing streak we're on and also show we can get results in games where we're second favorites, so would be more disappointed than usual not to get a result in that game given the circumstances.

That's kind of the positive way of looking at it, but if we were to have a disastrous end to the season and only pick up a few more points then I think his job would come under threat, as it wouldn't be just about the final seven games, but hows done overall which wouldn't look great, we've taken 14 points from the last 12 games, if we were to take just a few more points between now and the end of the season that would mean we would have shown relegation form over the last twenty or so games, a significant chunk of the season, we've got a big summer coming up and to need to make sure we've got the right manager so I think the owners would be asking serious questions.

I think whatever happens, unless we win let’s say 5 out of our last 7 games, the last 18 months has been poor under Smith and Gerrard looking down at it from 20,000 feet.  

As I have said unless it was a really poor ending to the season I don’t think Gerrard is going anywhere, but by god almighty can something just change, be fixed or something, so we all feel a bit more positive and when I go to games I feel we might have a chance.  

Before Spurs I thought we’d lose comfortably 2-0 and I don’t want to feel like that anymore.  I look at the remaining fixtures and I worry where points are coming from.  It’s not like me because I’m more positive when I go to games but. Just don’t these days…I don’t care what the answer is, by who or how, just give me a bit of hope and pride.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dale said:

A manager who doesn't get a point from 11 games is dead meat regardless of their name. I think he needs ten points for the experiment to continue

We should be aiming for 10 points as a minimum. That’s wins against Burnley x2, Norwich and a point against Palace. 

Anything less than 7 points between now and the end of the season and I genuinely would be worried about him being the man to take us forward. That would still be a pretty awful return.

Same as always, it's not necessarily about points it's more about just seeing something positive on the pitch, be it a tactical tweak, youngsters, some sort of penny dropping

Norwich for example we should see a lot of the ball and get to play our stuff, let's see what our stuff actually looks like, if the football looks really good but we miss 10 clear cut chances whilst Norwich fluke a VAR penalty and win 1-0 then the argument is there to let him buy better players in the summer - conversely if the football is shit and we fluke a VAR penalty and win 1-0 then I'd be worried despite the points 

• Like 1