How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?

YLN

How many points does Gerrard need to keep his job?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum number of points you require this season for Gerrard to keep his job?

• 52 (+16)
    • 48 (+12)
    • 46 (+10)
    • 44 (+8)
    • 42 (+6)
    • 40 (+4)
    • No minimum - I want him to keep the job regardless

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I just don't see that he can be sacked without an absolutely disastrous end to the season. 

He's made us a mid table side Premier League. Of course we'd like to be better than that, but the owners will give him time to bed in and have an offseason to shape his team.

If you take a league table from November 11th when he joined until now, we're sitting 10th with 26 points from 20 games. Again, not great, but not disastrous and enough to give him a summer. 

Smith made us a midtable side with an 11th placed finish, not SG

• Like 1

If we lose to next week to Leicester and then slip up vs Norwich then it could turn sour as the fan base is somewhat divided already.

I think we will win at least 1 game and even just that will keep Gerrards place safe until the Autumn.

I think even it does go down the pan Purslow will be reluctant to pull the trigger as Gerrard was obviously his man and we allegedly paid a lot of money to get him and his coaches down from Rangers

Edited by david-avfc

2 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

If we lose to next week to Leicester and then slip up vs Norwich then it could turn sour as the fan base is somewhat divided already.

I think we will win at least 1 game and even just that will keep Gerrards place safe until the Autumn.

I think even it does go down the pan Purslow will be reluctant to pull the trigger as Gerrard was obviously his man and we allegedly paid a lot of money to get him and his coaches down from Rangers

Yeah I recall the on going wranglings with rangers as they faught tooth and nail to keep their head coach.

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

As long as we dont get relegated Gerrard is going nowhere. This board is going to give him the summer (and rightly so in my opinion).

So if we lost the remaining 7 games and didn’t get relegated you think he should “rightly” keep his job?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So if we lost the remaining 7 games and didn’t get relegated you think he should “rightly” keep his job?

I think he should get the transfer window even in those circumstances.  I've been disappointed with him so far but the club's plan when bringing him in was to attract a higher calibre of player so sacking him before that window wouldn't make much sense.  I don't think we will lose more than 3 games anyway.

The lower we end up the less likely it is we can convince Coutinho to stay. A 10th place finish and a solid base to push on next season is a lot more enticing than a 16th (or dare I say) potential 17th place finish. Sadly I don't think we look like there is much hope of a midtable finish with our leaky defence, wet midfield and the goal draught of a front line. 

• Like 1

If we were to lose all our remaining games there's no way he'd keep his job, that would be eleven defeats in a row, and anyone now saying that he should stay in that scenario would probably soon change their minds if it actually happened, it's not as if the squad is complete rubbish, it might not be good enough to challenge for top eight yet, but should be showing at least midtable form.

That said we're no more likely to lose all our games than we are to win them all, so seems like an almost pointless scenario to bring up, any manager would be in trouble if they lost that many games but people don't worry about it before the fact because it's an unlikely scenario, we will probably get enough points alone from the Norwich and Burnley games for him to keep his job.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think he should get the transfer window even in those circumstances.  I've been disappointed with him so far but the club's plan when bringing him in was to attract a higher calibre of player so sacking him before that window wouldn't make much sense.  I don't think we will lose more than 3 games anyway.

If it was me and we lost the next 7 games, I just don’t see how we could keep him on.  

Yes, maybe attract higher caliber of talent but would they come, seeing us losing 11 games on the trot, just avoided relegation and what would be seen as bigger underlying issues.  

Additionally, he’s not going to change the whole team in the summer so if he can’t get any tune out of the current squad, what makes anybody think another few player changes are going to make such a dramatic turnaround next season.

It’s not going to happen losing another 7 games but if he did, I think his job should be at massive risk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Depends on how we lost each game tbh. I am not wedded to Gerrard but I think he deserves a pre season and a full transfer window based on what he has shown so far. 

But really my point is I think the board and CEO will not fire him unless we get relegated just because it would mean starting from square one again with yet another team revamp and yet another play style, I dont think they want that and I think thats the right call.

1 minute ago, useless said:

That said we're no more likely to lose all our games than we are to win them all, so seems like an almost pointless scenario to bring up, any manager would be in trouble if they lost that many games

Agreed

1 minute ago, useless said:

but people don't worry about it before the fact because it's an unlikely scenario, we will probably get enough points alone from the Norwich and Burnley games for him to keep his job.

But pondering the original question, if he lost 6 or lost 1 and drawed 2 for example…I think people are starting to consider what “bad” they would accept.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If it was me and we lost the next 7 games, I just don’t see how we could keep him on.  

Yes, maybe attract higher caliber of talent but would they come, seeing us losing 11 games on the trot, just avoided relegation and what would be seen as bigger underlying issues.  

Additionally, he’s not going to change the whole team in the summer so if he can’t get any tune out of the current squad, what makes anybody think another few player changes are going to make such a dramatic turnaround next season.

It’s not going to happen losing another 7 games but if he did, I think his job should be at massive risk

There’s no way he can stay if this happened. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Depends on how we lost each game tbh. I am not wedded to Gerrard but I think he deserves a pre season and a full transfer window based on what he has shown so far. 

But really my point is I think the board and CEO will not fire him unless we get relegated just because it would mean starting from square one again with yet another team revamp and yet another play style, I dont think they want that and I think thats the right call.

Fair enough!

I think if they had any doubts they would get rid off because we haven’t had the team revamp yet, so if they are at a pivotal point in the summer because they can’t splash the cash then dump him ten games into the new season.  

If they had doubts I think they’d fire him, get a new manager, then splash the cash.  Depends what they are thinking and how bad the last 7 games are both performance and results wise.

• Like 1

To be fair if he lost the next 7 games then that would be what 11 games in a row? Not sure how many teams in the PL have ever managed to lose that many straight. So while the question is interesting (and is part of being a fan) I think its a pretty unlikely scenario. 
Not winning any more games is more likely which is also pretty troubling.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough!

I think if they had any doubts they would get rid off because we haven’t had the team revamp yet, so if they are at a pivotal point in the summer because they can’t splash the cash then dump him ten games into the new season.  

If they had doubts I think they’d fire him, get a new manager, then splash the cash.  Depends what they are thinking and how bad the last 7 games are both performance and results wise.

hmm good point. I could see that. "hey before we throw a 100M at this guy lets find someone who can use the previous 100M worth of players we bought first"
interesting thought.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

To be fair if he lost the next 7 games then that would be what 11 games in a row? Not sure how many teams in the PL have ever managed to lose that many straight. So while the question is interesting (and is part of being a fan) I think its a pretty unlikely scenario. 
Not winning any more games is more likely which is also pretty troubling.

Yeah after two weeks of this thread we’ll probably go and smash Leicester 5-0 and we’ll laugh at this thread.  He’s hoping 🤞

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I see you're argument.

But we seem to think SG is the only man on the planet who can attract these high calibre players.

If you think about is sensibly that isn't the case.

• Like 2

So just for fun. If Gerrard left within the next 3 months (for whatever reason, off to Liverpool or sacked because he lost every game, whatever the reason) and Norwich got relegated.

Would you have Dean Smith back?

For me, yes. And thats pretty rare because I cant think of any other ex manager I would want back. 

Just now, ciggiesnbeer said:

So just for fun. If Gerrard left within the next 3 months (for whatever reason, off to Liverpool or sacked because he lost every game, whatever the reason) and Norwich got relegated.

Would you have Dean Smith back?

For me, yes. And thats pretty rare because I cant think of any other ex manager I would want back. 

No.

I think he had taken us as far as he could.

2nd time around rarely works out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1