The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

I'm with GiffGaff who are generally really good.  I have no need for masses of data so I'm on the £6 a month goodybag with unlimited UK calls and texts.  They run on the O2 network, you can cancel at any time and their prices are fixed until at least the end of 2023. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, trekka said:

I'm with GiffGaff who are generally really good.  I have no need for masses of data so I'm on the £6 a month goodybag with unlimited UK calls and texts.  They run on the O2 network, you can cancel at any time and their prices are fixed until at least the end of 2023. 

I've been expecting them to put their prices up, and I suppose it is just a matter of time.

21 hours ago, bickster said:

There last two incarnations of the iPhone have had vastly improved cameras

I generally agree, I'm still on an iPhone X but I am considering an upgrade in the coming weeks

iPhone 8 here. 

IPhone 7 for work duties

iPhone 6 as a burner for bitches to contact me

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ishk9cwv9qh3cp6prs9

One of these may be a lie

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

iPhone 8 here. 

IPhone 7 for work duties

iPhone 6 as a burner for bitches to contact me

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ishk9cwv9qh3cp6prs9

One of these may be a lie

I think I know which one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Work duties obviously, he spends his whole day in the khazi

Worst thing about WFH. I have to pay for my own bog paper! :(

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Worst thing about WFH. I have to pay for my own bog paper! :(

Been meaning to discuss this anway but when did bog roll get so expensive? Can't believe the price of it. We get through about 12 rolls a week in this house as well. I swear they use a roll per wipe. 

Edited by sidcow

Apparently according to RAC fuel stations are now keeping the cost of Diesel high to subsidise cheaper Petrol prices. Wholesale crude oil has dropped to half it's cost since the 2022 extremes. So why are they not passing it onto the public, diesel should be around £1.50 litre?

Also anyone with a petrol car noticing poor fuel consumption. E10 fuel now has a 10% ethanol mix, which apparently is reducing fuel consumption in some petrol variants. Better fuel consumption is achieved using the crazy expensive super E5 fuel, which only has a 5% mix of ethanol.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Also anyone with a petrol car noticing poor fuel consumption. E10 fuel now has a 10% ethanol mix, which apparently is reducing fuel consumption in some petrol variants. Better fuel consumption is achieved using the crazy expensive super E5 fuel, which only has a 5% mix of ethanol.

Yup.

It's meant to be more environmentally friendly, increasing the ethanol from 5% to 10%.

The DfT claim this only reduces fuel economy by 1-2%. WhatCar found it reduced fuel economy by around 10%. My own anecdotal data says says about 8% in my car. Meanwhile, has the price dropped? Has it ****.

It's no better for the environment when you need to refuel more often, it's worse for the environment, worse for our wallets, but great for the fuel companies and the taxman. It's the next diesel scandal. 

• Like 1

I've been using SIM free 30 day contracts for the last ten years. Would never dream of entering into a 2 year contract with one of the big boy operators.

Never paid more than £10 a month for the contract. Change my phone every 3-4 years, pay no more than £200 for a Moto or Xiaomi handset

• Like 2

British Gas.

I noticed that this month’s direct debit was a weird number. Went on my British Gas account and BG had done the annual review and reduced my direct debit.

But they also put a note on my file, that at the new DD they anticipated I wasn’t paying enough and there was a risk I could end up in debt.

I mean, wtf sort of system is that?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

British Gas.

I noticed that this month’s direct debit was a weird number. Went on my British Gas account and BG had done the annual review and reduced my direct debit.

But they also put a note on my file, that at the new DD they anticipated I wasn’t paying enough and there was a risk I could end up in debt.

Being literal, id say quite a good one. First good thing, they think you were paying too much, so reduced your dd. Next good thing, they (internally) accept tiart, though prices are predicted to change downwards over the next year, the exact amount may not be spot on, for your dd.

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

British Gas.

Yeah, Shell energy do the same to me if I set "too low" a DD amount, saying they're worried I might put myself in debt.

Or.......

worried it might impact their £32bn profits.

Not sure which. 🤔

8 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Yeah, Shell energy do the same to me if I set "too low" a DD amount, saying they're worried I might put myself in debt.

Or.......

worried it might impact their £32bn profits.

Not sure which. 🤔

I think it might be a third thing. They’ve all been warned not to deliberately overcharge customers via DD payment revisions and as such have adopted this methodology of setting a genuinely estimated level, but nudging customers via “risk of accumulating debt”. Most folk will happily accept that risk - it’s better than overpaying, but some will go for a higher payment to remove any “worry”.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

Been meaning to discuss this anway but when did bog roll get so expensive? Can't believe the price of it. We get through about 12 rolls a week in this house as well. I swear they use a roll per wipe. 

Oh, something I can answer,

According to the International Energy Agency, paper production is the 4th most energy intensive industry accounting for 6% of total global energy consumption, that's why your bog roll is more expensive.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Is this potentially going to reawaken the thread "how do you wipe your arse"?

Â