The Champions League

maqroll

That top sides field weakened teams with backup players in the later stages of this tournament says everything you need to know about the state of the tournament. What a bore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

That top sides field weakened teams with backup players in the later stages of this tournament says everything you need to know about the state of the tournament. What a bore.

They are 5-0 up and they’re going for three trophies. What do you expect them to do? 

When you are fighting on many fronts then obviously he’ll (Pep) play a weaker team in any competition if he can still get the overall result he wants.  I’m not sure the OP is a reflection of the competition to be honest, he just has the ability because he won the first leg 5-0.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'd suggest watching Real - PSG. I can call CL badly organised, but last thing I'd call it is a bore.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

And Pep will still cry for 5 subs.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Scraping the away goal rule has killed the tournament.  It just favours the big sides. Its not exciting anymore for me without this

I don’t think it has any real impact. Man City scored 5 unanswered goals in Lisbon and went through. Liverpool scored 2 unanswered goals in Milan and went though.

The most exciting game so far was the only one in which the away team hadn’t scored in the first leg.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think it has any real impact. Man City scored 5 unanswered goals in Lisbon and went through. Liverpool scored 2 unanswered goals in Milan and went though.

The most exciting game so far was the only one in which the away team hadn’t scored in the first leg.

But lets flip it and say first leg was in manchester and lisbon got a 1-1 draw . They ahve the advanatge 2nd leg with their home fans. 

Its more exciting with away goals without question. 

Edited by Demitri_C

My biggest / only problem with away goals was always that it counted in extra time, giving one team an additional half an hour to score a goal that is effectively worth 1.5 - a virtually unsalvageable situation for the home team. Presumably this was to prevent as many matches going to penalties as possible, but I still found it inherently unfair.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

My biggest / only problem with away goals was always that it counted in extra time, giving one team an additional half an hour to score a goal that is effectively worth 1.5 - a virtually unsalvageable situation for the home team. Presumably this was to prevent as many matches going to penalties as possible, but I still found it inherently unfair.

On the other hand it goes some way to compensating the team that has to play the extra 30mins of the two legged tie at an away ground. 

7 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

agree

i also dont know why organisers dont want penalties, miles better than extra time

edit - agree with londonlax too, theres no real "fair" way to do extra time in a 2 legged game, straight to pens

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

On the other hand it goes some way to compensating the team that has to play the extra 30mins of the two legged tie at an away ground. 

I'd argue that an extra 30 minutes away from home after playing two whole matches with identical reversed scorelines is a small disadvantage that's more in line with luck of the draw (or seeding?) than the large advantage of giving that team a kind of silver goal, but I take your point.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Am I right in guessing that we / the PL couldn't play our game last night because UEFA ban league matches being played on CL nights? 

But they are fine with them being played on EL nights? 

Liverpool and Spurs played the night that United played Atletico

Â