Pre match thread.

mottaloo

They seem to be heavily focused on using their full backs for instigating the majority of their attacks, given how high we push our FB’s that may be where the game is won or lost.

Potentially fortuitous for us however is that they’re playing tomorrow night in the cup, given they have little else to play for I hope they put out a full strength side and the match goes to extra time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Gerrard has made us like MON 2.0 as we are miles better away from home. We don't know what do to when we have lots of possession. Maybe a 1-1 draw.

Yet we have scored 5 goals in our last 3 home games.   

With average possession of 52% in those 3 matches.

It's actually our defence which has been the problem.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 2

If we could avoid giving away silly free kicks within 30 yards of our goal we might stand a chance of winning.

Ward Prowse doesn't tend to waste too many opportunities against us as we've seen before.

• Like 1

Tough game against a side full of confidence managed by a very good coach. 

I hope we play as we did against Brighton and hit them on the break. They are not a grear side but they are good enough to batter us if we arent compact and on our game. 

• Like 1

On 27/02/2022 at 13:07, Tomaszk said:

It's clicked for them big time.

They pack the middle of the pitch, just like we try to. It will be a brutal battle in there.

I'd bring in Sanson for Luiz and play him as the central player. McGinn and Ramsey competing crucial.

JWP and Romeu playing really well.....Adams is a well rounded forward and Walker-Peters is a very accomplished full back.

Broja can be a handful on his day too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

Yet we have scored 5 goals in our last 3 home games.   

With average possession of 52% in those 3 matches.

It's actually our defence which has been the problem.

It has, but we need to be defensively alert all over the pitch....if the 2 backs go awol, we will get stuffed.

The defence as we know it, needs protection.....

despite Matty cashs fine goal, he was caught out a couple of times against Brighton.....similar to Veltman, getting caught by Ollie.

To play wing back well....you have to be a good reader of the game, amongst other things....know when to go and when to stay.

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Gerrard has made us like MON 2.0 as we are miles better away from home. We don't know what do to when we have lots of possession. Maybe a 1-1 draw.

I think you are touching on it.

We are not that good on the ball in the middle, first touch and ball control/ ball retention, is iffy......we rely on the counter, its easier to do away from home....and great moments in the game are our forte.

At home, the onus is on us to take the game to the opposition, and because we lose the ball so easily, it creates the oppositions counter attacks.

We need better personnel in the summer, in the middle, players who can stay on the ball, in the main....and control the middle of the park....better press resistant players.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are touching on it.

We are not that good on the ball in the middle, first touch and ball control/ ball retention, is iffy......we rely on the counter, its easier to do away from home....and great moments in the game are our forte.

At home, the onus is on us to take the game to the opposition, and because we lose the ball so easily, it creates the oppositions counter attacks.

We need better personnel in the summer, in the middle, players who can stay on the ball, in the main....and control the middle of the park....better press resistant players.

The only time we have been good on the ball in the last 15 years  is probably for a couple of months under Houllier and the first half  of the lockdown season under Deano. The rest of the time we never know what to do with it.

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The only time we have been good on the ball in the last 15 years  is probably for a couple of months under Houllier and the first half  of the lockdown season under Deano. The rest of the time we never know what to do with it.

Last night, we saw Jack Grealish's first touch for his goal( world class).......that's part of what we are missing, only PC can do that, but we need more players, with at least a better touch than they have...and a better fist of staying on the ball.

Edited by TRO

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree but it’s funny because yet again, twice in the last few days, I’ve seen John McGinn touted as being ideal for Man Utd. I have no desire to see him leave but sometimes I wonder whether these people have actually seen him play more than a couple of times (in todays case Rio Ferdinand).

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

I agree but it’s funny because yet again, twice in the last few days, I’ve seen John McGinn touted as being ideal for Man Utd. I have no desire to see him leave but sometimes I wonder whether these people have actually seen him play more than a couple of times (in todays case Rio Ferdinand).

many folk are guilty of seeing players, in the odd moments and forming opinions.....I do it, like many and we chop and change our opinions.

as an example.....just recently seen Bissouma, have some iffy games.....a lot of money £50 mill, for inconsistency.

We are midtable and we are midtable for a reason.....with 2 or 3 world rated players in our team....so it gives us some perspective, of what it takes to be a top team.....We can struggle against lowly teams, having super players in our ranks....its because the blend is not there, yet.

Blend plays a huge,huge part for me, and by that, I mean players who compliment each other and form a cohesive unit, who can attack and defend with equal proficiency....its happening, but its slow.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nigel said:

Saw this a few days ago. I don't see what referees can do about it as it's near impossible to prove an injury is being faked. I only hope our management team and players are aware of Southampton's gamesmanship (cheating?) and use it to immediately take on drinks and energy as well. At least then the advantage is equal for both teams.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

JWP and Romeu playing really well.....Adams is a well rounded forward and Walker-Peters is a very accomplished full back.

Broja can be a handful on his day too.

Borja to me is exactly the type of forward we need for next season, he's doing what Ollie was doing for most of last season. If Southampton haven't got a fixed price agreed with Chelsea I'd be straight in with a bid end of the season.

They can have Ings back.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Borja to me is exactly the type of forward we need for next season, he's doing what Ollie was doing for most of last season. If Southampton haven't got a fixed price agreed with Chelsea I'd be straight in with a bid end of the season.

They can have Ings back.

Lots of clubs will be in for Broja but the Chelsea situation could make deals difficult... I don't think they want Ings back....