Pre match thread.

mottaloo

Dare I hope that the team bring their fighting spirit shown yesterday (and at Everton recently) back home ?

Consistently inconsistent comes to mind. I feel we need to be on our game against a team in decent form - and not give away free kicks around our box, cos....y'know....

I'll go for an ugly 1-0 win; Ings to score as a 2nd half sub.

• Like 1

I predicted a win against Brighton and I'm predicting the same against Southampton.

Difficult to change a winning team but surely Buendia needs to come back in?

A win here and we have a game in hand on them too which may help us cement a place in the top ten.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

We won't be playing 2 strikers against these; Buendia should be back, probably for ings as Watkins scored.

I hope we keep the full backs from playing too high again as it suits these players more to have our midfielders where they are used to being.

Luis owes us a good game, as I'm sure he will be starting, but I really hope Tim gets a bit more time from the bench.

Usually a bad match up for us.

That said I feel we'll peak for this one and probably put in our best performance of the remaining fixtures.

A surprisingly convincing 3-1 win. We really need to score first though as we never get results off them when we concede first (usually within first 10 minutes).

• Like 1

Not sure if we'll keep both Ings and Watkins. Ollie's goal, despite a very average performance, will probably bank him another guaranteed start in the next five games so I expect to maybe see Ings drop to the bench. Watkins is definitely a confidence player so hopefully his very well taken goal on the weekend gives him the encouragement and confidence he needs. I think Buendia will be brought back into this one as it'll be a dogfight in the midfield and we will need Emi's tenacity. 

I would like it if we started with Ings and there could be reason to keep an unchanged team. For me, I'd be approaching this like an away game. We always go right for Saints and usually always succumb to early goals and defeats. That needs to change so hope we can stay solid in midfield and at the back.

Should be a good game but really think we need the first goal to give ourselves the best shot at not losing to these. Oh, and as others have said, avoid giving away set pieces from less than 30 years out to help avid the obligatory. 

I watched their game against Norwich and they looked pretty solid and measured.

Norwich made some horrendous blunders, which gifted the game to Southampton.

The result left Southampton with hopes of Europe but they didn't look as good as either Wolves or West Ham.

Villa will have to be on their mettle to get the three points.

2 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I think SG is set on the two strikers playing. I would be surprised if he changes anything, personally I would like to see Sansom from the start

As i understand it was a one off to counter Brighton's style. Hopefully the result wont over shadow the attacking performance which was very clunky.

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Last home win was Leicester wasnt it? Going to be tough. Maybe we’ll nick a draw.

Want to hear something mental.. Last win for us at home to this lot was in 2004, Carlton Cole scored. God, we have some awful records 😩 

I was there that day (as I imagine lots on here were) and Cole was so good and linked up really well with Vassell, I thought we had a real player on our hands. 

how wrong was I 😂😂😂

probably the only game Carthorse Cole bothered to turn up to! 

• Like 1

We've only played only 3 home games this year:

Man Utd - 2-2 Draw

Leeds - 3-3 Draw

Watford - 0-1 Loss

Feels like we really need a home win.

The crowd and atmosphere didn't feel good at the Watford game. An early goal or at least a couple of good chances will get that home support singing again!

Edited by ender4

Our recent record against them at Villa Park is not good

Last 6 games at VP we've lost 4 and drew 2

They've beaten us on there last three visits here. 4.3 - 3.1 and 4.2

We have to go back to 2004 the last time when we beat them 2-0 at VP

A tough game but all good runs come to an end at some time or another.

Lets hope it's this Saturday

Southampton are obviously in good form at the moment so not really confident going into this however i'm not sure they are a side that can keep sustaining it. Villa are due a win at Villa Park since it feels like ages since the last time won a home game and think last weeks win should give the players a confidence boost. Think we will edge this 

• Like 1