Pre match thread.

mottaloo

46 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Win here would be result of the season.

I wouldn’t go that far but they’re certainly very strong and we’ll have to be on our A game. Their fans are going to be giving Ings loads of stick, really hope he scores.

Feeling a little more confident after the win at Brighton, think if we score first we might nick it 2-1. If they score first I'll go 2-2.

They are a good side on a great run of form but perhaps their FA Cup win last night might mean they may lose a bit of focus in the league - let's hope so.

Buendia for Watkins and Sanson for Luiz would be my only changes. 

• Like 1

Once again, will we progress after that win last week and back it up with another win, or once again take one step forward two steps back.

They've had an excellent season considering most including me thought they'd be in a battle to stay up and finish at best where they did last season. 

They finished 16th last season and sold Ings, Vestergaard and lost Bertrand on a free yet have been much better so fair play to them and Hassenhuttl.

Still think people need to get real with all this fearing teams above us in good form. We should still be able to win this if we play to our best and it's about time we did. 

Our results against them in recent years have not been good enough and a last home win in 2004 needs to change quickly. 

A draw isn't terrible considering the form they're in but we would have backed ourselves to win this at the start of the season and have to do so now.

Praying we can find some consistency and go on a winning streak up to West Ham away. Our aim has to be to finish above Southampton and given their fixtures are kinder than ours to the end of the season we really need to beat them to narrow the gap if we are to stand a chance of finishing above them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I also realised we haven't won at home since Leicester on December 5th, jeez. Really need to put that right. 

We haven’t played too many at home since but this really is awful. My team for Saturday:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Digne

Sanson McGinn Ramsey

Buendia Coutinho

Ings

Wouldn’t be against Ramsey being rested for this one and playing:

McGinn Luiz Sanson

Buendia Coutinho

Ings

Unfortunately, I think it will be Luiz and Watkins instead of Sanson and Buendia. If he leaves Buendia out again then I won’t be happy. 

Edited by Villa87
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

We haven’t played too many at home since but this really is awful. My team for Saturday:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Digne

Sanson McGinn Ramsey

Buendia Coutinho

Ings

McGinn Luiz Sanson

Buendia Coutinho

Ings

Unfortunately, I think it will be Luiz and Watkins instead of Sanson and Buendia. If he leaves Buendia out again then I won’t be happy. 

Agree with all of this. I might be wrong but I assumed that Buendia was left out because he wasn't 100% fit and not down to his recent performances or tactical reasons, therefore I expect (& hope) he comes back in to the starting eleven.

1 hour ago, Villa87 said:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Digne

Sanson McGinn Ramsey

Buendia Coutinho

Ings

McGinn Luiz Sanson

Buendia Coutinho

Ings

Yeah I wouldn't be against resting Ramsey who has looked a bit leggy last few weeks. The formation worked fine last week but Ings and Watkins has been a pain all season so I wouldn't be against bringing Buendia back in.

Nothing against Saints fans but this one is more delusional than most opposition fans I've come across (From Saints web):

I think they have a better keeper and Coutinho is very good and that's basically it. Konsa probably beats out our second cb too. Salisu, our fullbacks, our midfield, and Broja are miles better than what they are working with imo. Stuart Armstrong immediately improves that side and Adams is comfortably outscoring every player they have.

Combined 11 for me is

Martinez

Tino Salisu Konsa Kwp

Jwp romeu

Coutinho Armstrong

Broja Adams

Obviously they can still beat us, player for player no Middlesborough players start for spurs, but I am personally think we should be targeting 3 points.

Yeah cos us beating Southampton is really like Boro beating Spurs, what a donut. Not quite sure what he's been smoking thinking Armstrong gets in our team, wouldn't even make the bench. 

JWP is the one player I would 100% have in our team from them, then there's a few players who might start, but pretty sure a combined 11 would contain mainly our players. Martinez, Coutinho, Konsa he's mentioned, Digne easily gets in their team, if Broja is in his team based on one season then Ramsey should be too, McGinn, Watkins, Buendia and Cash would surely push for a start in their team too. 

One thing I would say about them is they are extremely well drilled and Hassenhuttl is a very underrated manager. We will have to work very hard to win but that is the case against most teams in this league. Hopefully we can win because it might bring one or two of their fans back down to Earth.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I really rate Walker Peters, Spurs should've given him a proper chance rather than spending endless money on full backs who are no better than what he is in Emerson Royal and Matt Doherty.

After taking a year to settle in Salisu been great aswell so would be a boost if both are out although Livramento is pretty good himself and Jack Stephens is a threat from set pieces.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I really rate Walker Peters, Spurs should've given him a proper chance rather than spending endless money on full backs who are no better than what he is in Emerson Royal and Matt Doherty.

After taking a year to settle in Salisu been great aswell so would be a boost if both are out although Livramento is pretty good himself and Jack Stephens is a threat from set pieces.

Yeah tbf Saints really do recruit well. Been so impressed with Broja this season. Capable of scoring all sorts of individual goals, a proper handfull. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Yeah tbf Saints really do recruit well. Been so impressed with Broja this season. Capable of scoring all sorts of individual goals, a proper handfull. 

ditto