Midweek Football 8/10 February

andykeenan

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Honestly think if Roy can sort the defence out a bit Watford have the best chance, Sarr to return means they have the best attack of the 4 in my eyes. Norwich will give it all but come up about 3 points short I reckon. But I think it will be a straight fight between Newcastle and Watfors

TBH, having looked at tonight's game and looking at the Newcastle squad and Wilson still to return for the final run in I think Toon will finish ahead of Everton. Everton are in a dog fight and they are not looking good and they don't have a transfer window to fix their awful defence. I am 53 years old and I think there is a real possibility that I may, for the first time in my life, see Everton in the 2nd tier

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Burnley grinding out some decent draws now. If they can find a win soon I'd still back them to stay up.

Edit; Scrub that, four of their next five home games v Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Man. City so probably left it too late this season. We'll see.

Burnley always find a way and will pick up points when least expected. Still think Brentford could be sucked into it. But for our collapse against them I would put them down as certainties for relegation.  Man City tonight so Burnley will will be 10 pts adrift of them with 4 games in hand but Brentford are losing every game so how many more points do people expect them to pick up? Even got battered by Everton in the cup. 

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

Burnley always find a way and will pick up points when least expected. Still think Brentford could be sucked into it. But for our collapse against them I would put them down as certainties for relegation.  Man City tonight so Burnley will will be 10 pts adrift of them with 4 games in hand but Brentford are losing every game so how many more points do people expect them to pick up? Even got battered by Everton in the cup. 

Genuinely didn't realise how bad a run they're on. Apart from beating us they've lost every other prem game since Boxing day.

Looks like classic case of team who overperformed and got past 20 points quickly but now declining.

However they still have to play at home Palace, Newcastle, Burnley, Southampton and Leeds so some winnable games for them and three may be enough.

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Genuinely didn't realise how bad a run they're on. Apart from beating us they've lost every other prem game since Boxing day.

Looks like classic case of team who overperformed and got past 20 points quickly but now declining.

However they still have to play at home Palace, Newcastle, Burnley, Southampton and Leeds so some winnable games for them and three may be enough.

Palace really should beat them, Newcastle are fighting for their lives and have a bit of momentum, Burnley must win for them, Southampton were great last nigjht and Leeds won at west ham and gave us a great game last night. 

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Could be bad observing on my part, but is it me or are freekicks just hardly ever good these days? Perhaps it’s down to better defending but I swear they just always hit the wall or go over.  

I’ve said it before a few times, nobody is good at them any more. They rarely get near the goal. JWP is the only person who goes close regularly. 

15 hours ago, Spoony said:

Could be bad observing on my part, but is it me or are freekicks just hardly ever good these days? Perhaps it’s down to better defending but I swear they just always hit the wall or go over.  

Ward-prowse is an exception of course. 

15 hours ago, Spoony said:

same with corners, they're trying to get that wicked dip and its harder than it looks

messi is the exception! but i think he's one of the few who still tries to achieve a bend / whip rather than the dip, he gets the ball to drop because the ball because its travelling a metre sideways

ward prowse is the same, he goes for the old fashioned inside of the boot whip

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

same with corners, they're trying to get that wicked dip and its harder than it looks

messi is the exception! but i think he's one of the few who still tries to achieve a bend / whip rather than the dip, he gets the ball to drop because the ball because its travelling a metre sideways

ward prowse is the same, he goes for the old fashioned inside of the boot whip

Pretty sure Ben Foster and Cutler said something recently about De Bruyne that the way he takes set pieces has a small margin of error instead of just lumping it in the box

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure Ben Foster and Cutler said something recently about De Bruyne that the way he takes set pieces has a small margin of error instead of just lumping it in the box

Yeah I can see what they mean, it's no longer chuck it in the mixer where the technique doesn't really matter its purposefully trying to get the ball to drop in a specific place in a specific way in the box and it's harder that just chucking it in and letting it be contested 

Strange why they do it, I'm guessing the ball and how it moves has driven it 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I can see what they mean, it's no longer chuck it in the mixer where the technique doesn't really matter its purposefully trying to get the ball to drop in a specific place in a specific way in the box and it's harder that just chucking it in and letting it be contested 

Strange why they do it, I'm guessing the ball and how it moves has driven it 

Was an interesting video, think Myhill was on it too. Something about if you get it perfect its pretty much impossible to defend and a keeper cant collect it

Â