Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

That said though, if Gerrard goes back to the 2 8s as inverted fullbacks. The energy needed is insane. In that scenario we may aswell sell Chuk as he doesn't have it and Gallagher would be pretty perfect. Maybe then he could play with JJ in those roles.

I have my doubts about the system in general but JJ and Gallagher would both be about as good as we could get for those roles.

McGinn and Sanson in rotation could maybe work with it too. (McGinn of old would be perfect but perhaps just needs more regular rest in order to get his trademark stamina back)

I really, really dislike the two 8's playing as inverted fullbacks. I'd much prefer seeing them get forward and us playing with wingers. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really, really dislike the two 8's playing as inverted fullbacks. I'd much prefer seeing them get forward and us playing with wingers. 

I thought about this as well.

If we had a proper unit of a DCM, sitting in front of the back 4, when the Fullbacks bomb forward, it would make more sense example, if the LCB drifted left, the RCB drifted right, and the DCM temporarily dropped into the central CB spot temporarily.

Instead of the midfielders faffing about. This is the kind of outstanding option someone like Kamara could offer.

• Like 1

In: 

Firminho

Edmund Tapsoba

Coutinho (make perm) 

Olsen (make perm)

Expensive, I Know! 

Out: 

Luiz or Nakamba

Davis

Targett

Steer

Wesley

Thats all I can think of at the moment. I think if Atleti offered an extremely favourable amount for Cash, then it would surely have to be considered. I think Guilbert should be looked at again. I like Cash though, so wouldn’t be against him staying. 

Edited by Tayls
Added Wesley to the list

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I thought about this as well.

If we had a proper unit of a DCM, sitting in front of the back 4, when the Fullbacks bomb forward, it would make more sense example, if the LCB drifted left, the RCB drifted right, and the DCM temporarily dropped into the central CB spot temporarily.

Instead of the midfielders faffing about. This is the kind of outstanding option someone like Kamara could offer.

But was no unit of a DM at Rangers in the same system. Was Steve Davis played DM

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

tbh, i think its fairly clear he is trying to get us playing like Liverpool, to do this he basically required 3 x 6's (kind of like a hybrid 6/8 type - like Kamara, Timmy, etc etc), who are both good defensively and going forward.

@TRO also alluded to the Liverpool thing, and the 3 x hybrid 6's in previous posts.

We clearly dont have that type of midfield right now which is i think, one of the reasons the tactic just isnt working with our current players,  i think of the senior players, only Ramsey is good enough for that midfield 3 right now imo.

Timmy also looks that type of player, a player who can be a 6 defensively, but also an 8 if required, and be just as good at both.

I can see why Gerrard is going after the Kamara types (if true), the quintessential 6 who is also very good on the ball and is basically a hybrid 6/8 type in reality.

I know we arent liverpool, but in the same way Liverpool have the midfield of Tiago, Fabinho, Henderson, or similar, i think Gerrard will want 3 very capable all round midfielders next season, which will actually allow the full backs to get forward and have proper cover behind them, but it will also allow the midfield to be as good going forward (if needed versus lesser opposition), or being a brick defensive wall ahead of the CBs.

I think the way Liverpool play is very clever, defensively they have the back 4, plus 3 6's (or hybrid 6/8s) who offer super, super defensive solidity, so the defensive side is strong, but going forward they have the front 3, 2 attacking full backs, and a couple of the midfield 3 also very, very capable going forward, whether Gerrard can implement that effectively here, with players not as good as what Klopp has, who knows.

I think, and i could be very wrong, but i think i see what we are trying to do, but we just dont have the players right now to do it effectively.

Before anyone jumps on me, im not comparing us to Liverpool perse, or expecting us to be like them, but if you look at Klopp's first season or two, they were a bit of a mess until Kklopp got the players in he wanted to play the system correctly, maybe we are now in that same position (fingers crossed it is that, and not that we have no idea what we are doing).

I also wonder if Gerrard likes the Klopp system, but also wants to show he can make that system work (ie: he could continue the Klopp method if he got the job)......so it will play in his favour when the Liverpool job comes up, im not bothered by this at all, as if it works, it will be great, its just a possible observation.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can't envisage any situation where Gallagher leaves Chelsea this Summer permanently and to be honest, rightly so. They'd be mad to let him go now. 

Agreed. If they had another £150m+ to spend on players and they went about signing big names. I'd see an opportunity like with Tammy or Tomori where a talented player moved on for first team football.

With their ownership and unknown financial issues, there's no way they let young prospects on long contracts leave permanently this year.

I also think Viera is as much of a draw as Gerrard. They are already backing their huge young talents massively, they're already getting England call ups etc. He'd likely go there. We'd need a hell of a summer to have us be the major step above Palace that we'd need to be imo. Yes, we all know we should be already far ahead of them and have the investment to break the big time etc. Etc. 

But if I was a young attacking talent playing for Viera, getting called up to England and my choice was Chelsea or a midtable club - I'd probably go back where I was already doing well. Between Gallagher, Guehi, Mitchell, Eze, Olise they have a great crop of upcoming talent too.

Our advantages over them are pretty hidden at the moment with our performances/form and lack of anything to show for our investments plus we don't have the media hype of say Newcastle. I think it'd be a tough sell to get Gallagher.

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But was no unit of a DM at Rangers in the same system. Was Steve Davis played DM

Bring him home? 👀

😂

Not saying it would happen or he would do it mate.

Was just thinking, it would probably be a good way to do it, if he insists on doing it.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Tayls said:

In: 

Firminho

Edmund Tapsoba

Coutinho (make perm) 

Olsen (make perm)

Expensive, I Know! 

Out: 

Luiz or Nakamba

Davis

Targett

Steer

Thats all I can think of at the moment. I think if Atleti offered an extremely favourable amount for Cash, then it would surely have to be considered. I think Guilbert should be looked at again. I like Cash though, so wouldn’t be against him staying. 

Is this serious? Genuine question as if we had someone like Firminho we would need goal scoring wide forwards which we currently don’t have. Is he also much of an upgrade to what we have now?

We have an issue at DM and you want to sell one of ours and not replace?

Tapsoba isn’t a bad shout for CB but we would need more than 2 signing plus making the other 2 permanent to really kick on. Midfield is crying out for upgrades

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Agreed. If they had another £150m+ to spend on players and they went about signing big names. I'd see an opportunity like with Tammy or Tomori where a talented player moved on for first team football.

With their ownership and unknown financial issues, there's no way they let young prospects on long contracts leave permanently this year.

I also think Viera is as much of a draw as Gerrard. They are already backing their huge young talents massively, they're already getting England call ups etc. He'd likely go there. We'd need a hell of a summer to have us be the major step above Palace that we'd need to be imo. Yes, we all know we should be already far ahead of them and have the investment to break the big time etc. Etc. 

But if I was a young attacking talent playing for Viera, getting called up to England and my choice was Chelsea or a midtable club - I'd probably go back where I was already doing well. Between Gallagher, Guehi, Mitchell, Eze, Olise they have a great crop of upcoming talent too.

Our advantages over them are pretty hidden at the moment with our performances/form and lack of anything to show for our investments plus we don't have the media hype of say Newcastle. I think it'd be a tough sell to get Gallagher.

Or to really stuff them, when they come to Villa Park next month, as well as to finish above them?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

Is this serious? Genuine question as if we had someone like Firminho we would need goal scoring wide forwards which we currently don’t have. Is he also much of an upgrade to what we have now?

We have an issue at DM and you want to sell one of ours and not replace?

Tapsoba isn’t a bad shout for CB but we would need more than 2 signing plus making the other 2 permanent to really kick on. Midfield is crying out for upgrades

Yea, pretty serious. I think Watkins can go out wide when needed, and he has a tendency to do that anyway. He needs to make some changes to his game though. Firminho is brilliant. I think we keep hold of Ings as well if we can. 

Re the DM - one word - Iroegbunam. 

• Like 1

I really want Ndicka at CB. Young and left sided. Be a great potential upgrade to Mings with good experience already and wouldn't completely devalue Mings' good qualities and attributes he brings to the squad. There'd still be a place for him

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Yea, pretty serious. I think Watkins can go out wide when needed, and he has a tendency to do that anyway. He needs to make some changes to his game though. Firminho is brilliant. I think we keep hold of Ings as well if we can. 

Re the DM - one word - Iroegbunam. 

Do you think that would make us better? Watkins isn’t the best out wide and if he was to he tends to be put on the left so where would that leave coutinho? If it was 18 months ago firminho I agree would be an upgrade but now I’m not so sure.

We need to not overhype Iroegbunam too much. He looks a fantastic prospect and should be in and around the first team but as with any youth player there are no guarantees so if we are to sell one of Nakamba or luiz I would want a replacement to come in.

For me I would be happy with Ginter, one or two from Kamara, bissouma, Grillistch or kondogbia and for upfront I would try and go all out for Nunez as unrealistic as that is he is the type of quality that we need to be looking at

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, i think its fairly clear he is trying to get us playing like Liverpool, to do this he basically required 3 x 6's (kind of like a hybrid 6/8 type - like Kamara, Timmy, etc etc), who are both good defensively and going forward.

@TRO also alluded to the Liverpool thing, and the 3 x hybrid 6's in previous posts.

We clearly dont have that type of midfield right now which is i think, one of the reasons the tactic just isnt working with our current players,  i think of the senior players, only Ramsey is good enough for that midfield 3 right now imo.

Timmy also looks that type of player, a player who can be a 6 defensively, but also an 8 if required, and be just as good at both.

I can see why Gerrard is going after the Kamara types (if true), the quintessential 6 who is also very good on the ball and is basically a hybrid 6/8 type in reality.

I know we arent liverpool, but in the same way Liverpool have the midfield of Tiago, Fabinho, Henderson, or similar, i think Gerrard will want 3 very capable all round midfielders next season, which will actually allow the full backs to get forward and have proper cover behind them, but it will also allow the midfield to be as good going forward (if needed versus lesser opposition), or being a brick defensive wall ahead of the CBs.

I think the way Liverpool play is very clever, defensively they have the back 4, plus 3 6's (or hybrid 6/8s) who offer super, super defensive solidity, so the defensive side is strong, but going forward they have the front 3, 2 attacking full backs, and a couple of the midfield 3 also very, very capable going forward, whether Gerrard can implement that effectively here, with players not as good as what Klopp has, who knows.

I think, and i could be very wrong, but i think i see what we are trying to do, but we just dont have the players right now to do it effectively.

Before anyone jumps on me, im not comparing us to Liverpool perse, or expecting us to be like them, but if you look at Klopp's first season or two, they were a bit of a mess until Kklopp got the players in he wanted to play the system correctly, maybe we are now in that same position (fingers crossed it is that, and not that we have no idea what we are doing).

I also wonder if Gerrard likes the Klopp system, but also wants to show he can make that system work (ie: he could continue the Klopp method if he got the job)......so it will play in his favour when the Liverpool job comes up, im not bothered by this at all, as if it works, it will be great, its just a possible observation.

It’s absolutely true Liverpool’s midfield trio are defensively minded. Villa’s midfield is much more attacking which could be a problem in this system. But while Ramsey may be our best midfielder, he’s also the most attack minded of the three which actually makes him the worst fit.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I hate these but I'm bored at work.

Out:

Guilbert £2m

Hause £7m,

Targett £15m

Luiz £25m,

AEG/Trez £7m combined

Traore £12m (🙁)

Ings £20m

Chuk or Sanson £10-15m? (🙁)

Total: £103m

In:

Olsen (Perm, Free)

Hickey £15m

Ndicka £23m

Gomez £20m

Kamara Free (hefty signing bonus)

Bissouma £35m

Coutinho £33m

A Striker £40m (I have no ideas)

Total: £166m

Net £63m outlay

Maybe an argument for only one CB and utilising Chambers there as backup to Konsa. But I think we actually lose Konsa or Mings and the above is maybe too optimistic. NDicka may already not come to challenge for a start and want it guaranteed

Maybe it needs another winger. Ideally you'd keep Traore but I don't think we will. Either make room for Bidace (too soon probably) or sell Nakamba to part-fund a move for Madueke.

Leaving my Pretend-Post-Summer Squad as:

image.png

That is some team there. Strengthened the spine massively and added a lot of steel but also improving ball retention capabilities

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Belotti please. 

I think he may actually be attainable. Where as you normally see players value massively soar during a tournament (James Rodriguez a great example) I feel Belotti may actually be undervalued following a disappointing Euros.

Will still be big teams in for him as he's on a free - Atleti (apparently linked to every high-profile Bosman) and West Ham favourites. But think he could be attainable if we made a big enough pitch and case for it

He'd want good money but compared to spending £40-50m+ on another striker. It'd be a great deal and would open up funds for Midfield (particularly if we don't land Kamara) or into CB if we do get Kamara.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

I think he may actually be attainable. Where as you normally see players value massively soar during a tournament (James Rodriguez a great example) I feel Belotti may actually be undervalued following a disappointing Euros.

Will still be big teams in for him as he's on a free - Atleti (apparently linked to every high-profile Bosman) and West Ham favourites. But think he could be attainable if we made a big enough pitch and case for it.

What's he like as a player? Can't say I've seen much of him. 
Signing players like Belotti and Kamara on free transfers, albeit with big wages, would be great and allow us to spend bigger money elsewhere. I do think though we'd need to get rid of some of the top earners. Take Ings for example on a reported 120k a week. If he isn't starting, we need to move those wages on to someone else. 

Going to be a helluva Summer. 

Wish we would bring in someone like Victor Osimhem. A bright, full future ahead -- and he definitely knows where the net is.  I feel worried the likes of Newcastle will end up pricing us out of the market this summer. I don't know enough about Villa finances to say, but if not now, when do we indicate we're aiming for Europe?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

12 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Wish we would bring in someone like Victor Osimhem. A bright, full future ahead -- and he definitely knows where the net is.  I feel worried the likes of Newcastle will end up pricing us out of the market this summer. I don't know enough about Villa finances to say, but if not now, when do we indicate we're aiming for Europe?

Osimhen is already out of our market, we aren't signing a player for £100m.

• Sad 1