Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

5 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I feel like dawson is a fine short term replacement til carlos is back. We were never gonna sign another 30m defender this window. Dawson-Mings should be solid enough

Why not? Serious question....

I don't think we need to do that personally but our net spend is very low.

29 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

From what i was told after the fact is that there was a deadline to decide villa or new lucrative contract...guess he did not want to come in the end.

Just wondering whether or not it’s outside the realms of possibility now or whether a deal could still be done or lined up. I would imagine the player would love to join a PL team and earn a lucrative wage… maybe there’s still some kind of release clause in his new contract? Failure to qualify for Champions League may affect his thinking too?

Or should I just move on and stop dreaming? 😆

As the days go by, the concerns over failing to address the midfield grow… maybe a deadline day signing is in the works but… who can say?

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Just wondering whether or not it’s outside the realms of possibility now or whether a deal could still be done or lined up. I would imagine the player would love to join a PL team and earn a lucrative wage… maybe there’s still some kind of release clause in his new contract? Failure to qualify for Champions League may affect his thinking too?

Or should I just move on and stop dreaming? 😆

As the days go by, the concerns over failing to address the midfield grow… maybe a deadline day signing is in the works but… who can say?

spacer.png

1 minute ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I've just heard on the grapevine who the mythical new forward signing is going to be......

.......Dwight Gayle.

Right age profile at least for recent signings

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Why not? Serious question....

I don't think we need to do that personally but our net spend is very low.

Because if we were to spend another 30m, it would be to replace Mings, when our priority right now is to find a short term solution for Carlos .

Also net spend is overrated, our wage structure has exploded. Net spend is a too simplistic way of looking at finances. We are simply in a position where we need to sell first, trim the squad.

not to forget signing on fees* free players aren't much cheaper than other players these days

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

I've been wondering if we might perhaps move for Adama Traore, a wide forward with pace, which is something we seemingly want after coming close to signing Sarr, in the last year of his contract with Wolves and doesn't look like he's going to sign an extension, they're a selling club so would probably be open to letting him go, better that than losing him for nothing next summer, he also wouldn't cost anymore than what we were going to pay for Sarr.

Starting to doubt that we will sign another midfielder now, I know the media know very little about who we're going to sign in the transfer market, but they usually link us to players in positions where we're looking to strengthen, we're not even being linked with any midfielders at all.

As I say I wouldn't be surprised if Luiz's new deal has already been agreed and they're holding that announcement back just in case we have an underwhelming end to the window in which case they can use Luiz's contract announcement as a distraction of sorts..

Edited by useless

14 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I've just heard on the grapevine who the mythical new forward signing is going to be......

.......Dwight Gayle.

Could be worse... could be John Gayle! 

9 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Because if we were to spend another 30m, it would be to replace Mings, when our priority right now is to find a short term solution for Carlos .

Also net spend is overrated, our wage structure has exploded. Net spend is a too simplistic way of looking at finances. We are simply in a position where we need to sell first, trim the squad.

not to forget signing on fees* free players aren't much cheaper than other players these days

It doesn't have to be to replace mings at all Carlos usually plays left centre back anyway. It could be a defender who plays RCB.

As for our wage structure exploding, it's in the top half of the table of wages spent.... so what?

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Dawson is much better than Bednarek. He'd actually be our best CB after Mings. I'm all for this one as long as it's a short term deal. We might actually be threatening from set pieces now too.

He’d be our top scorer

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It doesn't have to be to replace mings at all Carlos usually plays left centre back anyway. It could be a defender who plays RCB.

As for our wage structure exploding, it's in the top half of the table of wages spent.... so what?

Right now, we need to replace Carlos, as he'll be our for a long time.

I have no idea what our wages are relative to other teams, I'd be surprised if there are many teams outside the top 6 who spend more than us (I found one random list, where we are 8th, surrounded by two clubs that are skint). Doesn't matter though, as our wages spent should be relative to our own income, not what others spend, which most likely isn't the best of the rest yet, I am certainly unaware of any lucrative commercial income or anything other  massive incomes we currently have.

The amount of money we have spent since promotion has to be in the top 3 in the premier league I'd guess. All well looking at how much we have spent this summer, sadly in the real world, money spent in the past counts too.