Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

He was until he actually came back and started playing then we remembered he was crap.  When he was out injured he was being talked about as if he was Makalele.

He had a really good run of 4-5 games when SG came in, resulted in him being voted Villa player of the month IIRC.

Then he got injured and struggled upon his return.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He had a really good run of 4-5 games when SG came in, resulted in him being voted Villa player of the month IIRC.

Then he got injured and struggled upon his return.

Imo, he had a couple good games that coincided with our uptick in form then he got injured and we lost form soon after and everyone was convinced that Nakamba was the reason why we were winning.

• Like 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Imo, he had a couple good games that coincided with our uptick in form then he got injured and we lost form soon after and everyone was convinced that Nakamba was the reason why we were winning.

To be fair, his form was incredibly considering what we were used to from him. He was like a different player and then we fell apart after he was gone.

It was a fair belief that really drove home our need for a proper DM and had a few of us who doubt Gerrard overall thinking that a DM could get us back to that form, which had us easily in the top 6 of the form table at that point. That it might just pull together the rest of Gerrards bizarre system and make it work.

Here's hoping Kamara can do it

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

To be fair, his form was incredibly considering what we were used to from him. He was like a different player and then we fell apart after he was gone.

It was a fair belief that really drove home our need for a proper DM and had a few of us who doubt Gerrard overall thinking that a DM could get us back to that form, which had us easily in the top 6 of the form table at that point. That it might just pull together the rest of Gerrards bizarre system and make it work.

Here's hoping Kamara can do it

Every system is bizarre, if there's holes in it.

Man City in talks to sign LB Sergio Gomez. Will be interesting to see how he gets on. Hopefully not another missed opportunity like Alvarez.

On another note, Raspadori has handed in a transfer request. Tricky, versatile striker that could give us something different. Won’t happen now Archer is staying but you never know.

• Like 1

Hammers, Everton and Newcastle all interested in Cornet, we should be all over that imo, he is affordable, improves the team and squad and will make an impact straight away. West Ham at end of august looks like it could be a tough game, they've made some solid signings and their transfer business is really taking off at this point

Just now, Villatillidie95 said:

Hammers, Everton and Newcastle all interested in Cornet, we should be all over that imo, he is affordable, improves the team and squad and will make an impact straight away. West Ham at end of august looks like it could be a tough game, they've made some solid signings and their transfer business is really taking off at this point

Where would he play? Who would he be back up to? 

20 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Well it’s not an opinion that he won player of the month, he was solid for 4-5 games.

Don't really know what our main position of need is right now but you'd think money is available to get at least one more in.

Still expecting/hoping for more transfer revenue from Davis, Guilbert, El Ghazi and Traore which would represent our best summer of sales in a long time (not including Jack)......

18 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Just the type of signing we need, another winger.  Maybe he can replace Traore on the bench.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I don't think he would improve out team,  his finishing can be worse than Ollie's. I am happy to steer clear of him

• Like 1

Hammers agree 33.5m for Onana, they are investing and will be difficult to overtake next season. I think the highest we can realistically aim for is 8th. But hopefully we will punch above our weight and they will slip up or maybe buy Cornet and put him in the starting 11 🤣

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Surely we our net spend we have not finished buying in this window? 

We seem to be stacked in the centre of midfield but, for me, there is still room for someone who can play out wide. We have Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Traore who can do that but three of them seem to prefer to play narrower and one who is inconsistent and who seems to be not too fancied by Gerrard. I think the perfect fit would be Jonathan David, like a few others have mentioned. He can play wide or down the middle.  

I suspect 'net spend' is becoming less important to the club financially, as the wages go up. This is not to say unimportant, but if the wage bill has gone up £20m a season, then the net spend has to balance that, unless we're getting money from elsewhere. 

We also need to be focusing on buying 'starters' in my opinion. That's not the 11, but those 15/16 players who play a lot, rather than those who will fill in.
They are harder to come by, and we can't be fleeced by other clubs, so it's often better to wait for the right players than get another body in to fill the squad, but then who we can't shift for 3 seasons and become the so-called 'bomb squad'.

Our spend each year is not a target, its a budget i.e. the maximum allocated for spend on players. If we recruit for the positions we have agreed to recruit for and our net spend is lower than the budget that does not mean we should go an spend more. We need the club to be sustainable and profitable.

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think he would improve out team,  his finishing can be worse than Ollie's. I am happy to steer clear of him

No its not but he isnt a striker either

12 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

he dosent need to play as the main striker, he is useful cutting in from the side too. for some games him and Bailey for example would be awesome as inverted forward types cutting in and unleashing shots around the box. we need to be able to have the players to vary it up and he fits the bill imo, especially if traore is on the way out

Just now, Zatman said:

No its not but he isnt a striker either

I know, I didn't say he is a striker, but we would expect goals from a winger and his finishing is not good enough imo, not that we even want a winger. The point of the comment is about the quality of his finishing