Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Ramsey is young and could probably do with being taken out the team every now and then—the new CM will rotate/challenge both Ramsey and McGinn. Martinez being vice makes sense as if McGinn’s form drops, he will be there.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sne said:

If McGinn was going to be more of a squad player we could have signed a new one to be a starter. If McGinn is to start it seems unlikely we will sign a new (quality) one to sit on the bench instead of Nakamba or Sanson.

Guess Ramsey or Kamara might still be benched for a new one but doubt it.

More likely JJ IMO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

so we’re dropping Ramsey?

If he deserves to be he will be or is he immune to being dropped as he's 1 of our own. 

I believe every is droppable, even McGinn regardless of the armband. 

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We'll have players on the bench this season that will have expected to start games.

Here's an eleven:

Martinez, Cash, Diego Carlos, Mings, Digne, Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Bailey, Coutinho, Watkins

Our bench with that eleven will look really strong:

Olsen, Chambers, Konsa, Young, Nakamba, Ramsey, Sanson, Buendia, Ings

You'd have the likes of Kesler, Guilbert, Hause, Traore, El Ghazi, Iroegbunam, Chukwuemeka, Davis and Archer not even making the matchday twenty.

There’s not enough games in our season too keep this squad happy then, let alone any new signings? 

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We'll have players on the bench this season that will have expected to start games.

Here's an eleven:

Martinez, Cash, Diego Carlos, Mings, Digne, Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Bailey, Coutinho, Watkins

Our bench with that eleven will look really strong:

Olsen, Chambers, Konsa, Young, Nakamba, Ramsey, Sanson, Buendia, Ings

You'd have the likes of Kesler, Guilbert, Hause, Traore, El Ghazi, Iroegbunam, Chukwuemeka, Davis and Archer not even making the matchday twenty.

The issue for me is a lot of these (the ones I’ve highlighted above, and I think I’m being pretty generous to Ings) don’t get into any European challenging team. Our squad just isn’t as strong as we make out at times. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

The issue for me is a lot of these (the ones I’ve highlighted above, and I think I’m being pretty generous to Ings) don’t get into any European challenging team. Our squad just isn’t as strong as we make out at times. 

So Ramsey, our players player of the season and arguably most existing u21 England prospect at present doesn’t even get into a euro challenging side? 

how high is your bar for Europe? Harry **** wonks is in a euro side!!?

• Like 3

We need to trim the squad before we do anything else. As much as I like us making signings, I (sadly) also like to see us succeeding whilst keeping our net spend fairly low.

To be starting just our 4th season back in the PL with the squad we have is pretty incredible. The first summer we had to do a Forest and spend big just to get a squad together, and we built on that the following year. But last season our net spend was low and, so far, we’ve not gone crazy this summer with a net spend of about £30m.

There has to be money available, but there’s no point just adding more and more players to the squad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't get the dislike for SJM. I think he is up there as one of our better players. He has had his off days, as most players do, but an element of that is down to the role is he was being asked to undertake at times. I am excited to see what he can do this season with the freedom that Kamara will give him and the better options - a settled Coutinho, second season Emi and a fit Bailey - in front of/alongside him.

Equally, i do think he has better captain characteristics than Mings.

And captaincy does not guarantee game time. E.g. Henderson does not start every game for Liverpool and Citeh rotated the arm band last season.

I have a suspicion SG wants some leadership further forward....and Ty need to focus on his own game.

back to signings.....I wouldn't be surprised if we go with what we have, as unloading is proving to be difficult.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have a suspicion SG wants some leadership further forward....and Ty need to focus on his own game.

back to signings.....I wouldn't be surprised if we go with what we have, as unloading is proving to be difficult.

Yeah, reading between the lines, I think SG wants Tyrone focused on defending and communicating at the back more than dealing with everything the captain has to deal with too. Also, maybe McGinn can make the ref laugh and that will lead to more favorable treatment? 😁

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Yeah, reading between the lines, I think SG wants Tyrone focused on defending and communicating at the back more than dealing with everything the captain has to deal with too. Also, maybe McGinn can make the ref laugh and that will lead to more favorable treatment? 😁

well, he does have that Norman Wisdom trait at times( Norman Pitkin in Square Peg).....with a cap turned to the side, a dead ringer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

There’s not enough games in our season too keep this squad happy then, let alone any new signings? 

With 5 subs, more players will see some game time, if not as much as a starter.

9 hours ago, TomC said:

With 5 subs, more players will see some game time, if not as much as a starter.

Just because there are 5 subs doesn’t mean they will be used, Gerrard subs so far have normally started later than Smiths.

If any of the players have got a bit about them, which I’m not doubting, they won’t be ok with some game time, especially if the favourites keep getting picked every game regardless of personal or team performance.

Edited by MellbergsBeard
Auto correct 😂
  • Like 1