Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

This one word, "despite," irks me here:

But The Sun have also suggested that Villa are eyeing a move for a new striker, despite already having the likes of Ollie Watkins, Danny Ings and prospect Cameron Archer in the squad. Supporters have also been discussing the possibility of another striker arriving at Villa Park this summer after one report claiming an unnamed Premier League club had tabled an offer for a Barcelona star. [My itals and bolding]

Why despite? Why oh why TF would anyone be assuming we're magically going to get more skilled in front of the goal when much evidence suggests that we're likely to see more of the same excellent-but-never-get-us-to-Europe levels from the same players? I just don't understand the seeming lack of ambition in this kind of analysis. I thought the plan was "Europe."

Ok, off my chest. I think I've used my italics allotment for the summer.  😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This one word, "despite," irks me here:

Why despite? Why oh why TF would anyone be assuming we're magically going to get more skilled in front of the goal when much evidence suggests that we're likely to see more of the same excellent-but-never-get-us-to-Europe levels from the same players? I just don't understand the seeming lack of ambition in this kind of analysis. I thought the plan was "Europe."

Ok, off my chest. I think I've used my italics allotment for the summer.  😉

I don't see why they wouldn't say despite. Watkins and Ings cost £60m and have overall been more good than not so it would be a surprise if we went big on a striker. Maybe there's a case for a third challenger if Archer goes out on loan but he looks ready to play a role to me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wes said:

They also purchased a Turkish striker last summer, Deniz Undav, who they sent on loan to the Belgian league and was the top scorer in the league with 25 goals. I think he'll be in the first team reckoning for them this season.

Ah ok wow, knew he was back off loan, didn't realise had scored so many while on loan.

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

My nan could score 20+ a season in the Belgian league.

Which is interesting, because Christian Benteke scored more in the Premier League than he did in that there shite Belgian League.

• Like 3

Just now, bobzy said:

Which is interesting, because Christian Benteke scored more in the Premier League than he did in that there shite Belgian League.

Wesley and Samatta also looked prolific in that division.

5 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

I see your nan is better than Jonathan David, Victor Osimhen, Christian Benteke, etc., etc.

Ash hasn’t told you his nan is Ivan Perisic

Edited by a m ole

9 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Wesley and Samatta also looked prolific in that division.

Samatta scored 20 goals once, Wesley topped out at 13.  Benteke's highest was 16 goals and he scored 19 in his first season with us.

Belgian League > Premier League.

Just now, RicRic said:

It would be sickening to lose carney for practically nothing at this stage, considering the potential and the plans we had for him , honestly a total disaster 

Not much we can do.  We can't cave into to every demand from a youth player, need to put the foot down at some stage and show youth players they can't demand what they want no matter how good they are. 

Our youth system is the best it's ever been, I think Carney will quickly be forgotten as soon as a new player bursts onto the scene.