Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, allani said:

OK in that case I misunderstood you - I thought you meant starters.  I think Digne is probably the best left back outside the Sly 6.  As for the others I think they probably could all get on the bench - but then like you say so could about the same number from a number of our other direct competitors.  I just think that we as a collective underestimate our rivals and overestimate some of our own players.  Finishing top 10 is not a foregone conclusion for any team outside the Sly 6.  There are probably 6 or 7 teams with a "realistic" expectation of finishing top half next season.  The league is pretty tough these days.

All fair points. However, I think that we probably have more players that would feature in a top 6 side/squad than our peers in and around us. Leicester and West Ham might have more. 

I think the league will be tight from 7th or 8th down to about 13th, but even though there will only be a few points difference I still believe we should be near the top of that group based on the quality of our squad. I think that is where the manager comes into it, managers like Lage, Potter, Vieira, Frank arguably got the absolute maximum out of their squad last season which is why they finished where they did whereas Gerrard fell short (although took over a team that was doing really quite badly). One of the things used to defend Gerrard was his lack of experience and he will get better, but those other managers don't have much experience at this level with the possible exception of Potter. Gerrard will definitely be judged favourably if he gets us in the top 10, and if he doesn't I think he'll be judged unfavourably. Maybe it isn't as black and white as that, but that's football and it's up to him to extract the very best out of this squad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dotcomsimon said:

Has anyone actually been linked with Sangaré? 

I think he would be a great addition, 

if we could get Suarez on a 1year deal as well, I know he’s not popular but he’s the type of nasty gritty person you hate to play against, just what we need, bring him on with 10-15 mins to go 

get them 2 and I think we’d be fine 

We've definitely enquired and been told pay release clause please. £32m I think it was. 

Not sure for that price myself, and I think he'd hold off on signing with us immediately in case a big stupid club who can't get their shit together like United came in for him late in the window.

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

Preece seems like a good guy but he really doesn't help himself does he. Didn't he literally say we were done transfer-wise only like last week or something.

Done, as it is, was the phrase he used.  As in, no purchase without sales.  I think he’s right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

it sounds like you want to bring in a first choice RB to replace Cash, no?

Capable of replacing him is the way I would put it.

I felt we needed the same at left back too, it is hard to bring in better so you get someone close that hopefully develops to be better.

14 minutes ago, allani said:

Finishing behind Leicester and West Ham this season would not be terrible.  We are definitely still playing catch up with them.  Newcastle could go either way.  I think we (and others!) underestimate Palace, Brighton and Wolves and there is almost always a team that spring a surprise.  It is also slightly crazy that a club like Everton are being completely written off by everyone.  But that is 13 clubs all with an eye on the top half.  I'd be slightly reluctant to blame Gerrard entirely if we miss the top half as there could be many extenuating circumstances and (as I may have mentioned once or twice) I still think we need 1 more midfielder so that we have the likes of Luiz, McGinn and JJ coming off the bench before we can really put us in the group with West Ham and Leicester at the top end of that pile. 

Interestingly some people are using the fact that based on the league after Gerrard arrived we were 9th as "proof" that we should finish top half this season and yet others blame him for us finishing 14th.  I think, like Smith before, he has some pros and cons but we do need to give him the right support so that he can have a proper crack at things here.  Recruitment wise I think he has done really well and I don't think we have signed a dud yet - also it seems like we have been addressing the right issues this year, whereas I still can't believe that we didn't sign a CM last summer.  I guess that is what is triggering my anxiety.  We seem so close and it would be really annoying to miss (or increase the risk of missing) the opportunity because we left one target position unfilled.  I don't think we will.  There is still enough noise about us looking for a CM.  Fingers and toes crossed!

I think taking our ambitions in to consideration McGinn and Luiz have to really step up, in order for us to fulfill them.

JJ is still learning and we have to factor that in......but we must develop that "hard to beat" edge, to have a chance of anything.....we have to stop, giving away our hard work to sloppy defending, else we will be midtable once again.

I am delighted with Kamara, but another quality CM is required and possibly a striker, before the predictors have us beyond 10th-8th.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Done, as it is, was the phrase he used.  As in, no purchase without sales.  I think he’s right.

Maybe.

We’ve spent a fair chunk, but then have sold/released some players as well.

Feels like we have 1 more purchase to go, irrespective of whether we sell.  

For example, let’s say we sell El Ghazi for £5m.  Does that make the difference between us buying a striker or CM for £30-40m?  I’d say it probably doesn’t IF the right player becomes available for the right price.

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

I **** love it when I’m scrolling and then it stops to scroll on a tweet that is a pixel bigger than its bounding box

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I'm sure it never used to do this... Or maybe it's just more frequent now.

I’m also sure it never used to do that but it is damned annoying. I’m guessing there is nothing VT can actually do about it if it’s just the way these forums work. 

• Like 1

Against Leeds did we play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? 

If SG is changing it up to a 4-2-3-1 I think Sangare would be perfect with Kamara, but if not there might be better options for a more box to box 8. Milinkovic-Savic would be unbelievable if we were really going to pull a rabbit out of the hat, can’t see Arsenal signing him and Teilemans.