CB Mings (Chambers) Feeney

LB Digne (Augustinsson) Young

CM Kamara (Nakamba) Chukwuemeka

CM McGinn (Luiz) Iroegbunam

CM Ramsey (Sanson) A. Ramsey

AM Buendia (Traore) Philogene-Bidace

AM Coutinho (Bailey) El Ghazi

ST Watkins (Ings) Archer

In my opinion, we still look like we need another senior option in central midfield as none of those four are consistent and we need two of them to be in form at any one time. Defensively, we seem ok as long as we're prepared to drop underperforming players sometimes... Naming no names... TM. Attacking wise there are questions over Bailey and, more so, Traore. Up front we do seem a little short, especially if Archer isn't deemed ready. Some talented kids help pad the squad out further.

Personally I'd be looking for that elusive midfield engine who can tackle (fairly McGinn!) and create and then a striker.

Really good post which highlights we effectively have 3 teams, get there is a variety of quality however you cant just 1. keep buying and adding to the wage bill 2. keep blocking the pathway for players - Realistically i would look to get rid of 5-6 of these through loans and sales and buy one more top draw (Kamara bracket) midfielder and if the right deal came up a striker however it would have to be next level for me rather than more of the same

10 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I still don't think were going to break into the top 10.

A midfielder and striker short and I'm also not 100% convinced the manager has it tactically.

That would be a massive failure on our part if that if it were the case. 

I think with the personnel we've got, we're fine - we don't need anyone else to be able to get a top 8 spot. 

• Confused 1

Depends on timeframes I guess, all the talk at the end of 21/22 was we were disappointed with our league position. All the players are talking Europe this time around. 

To get Europe this year, what with all the improvements the Sky 6 have made, we definitely need a quality starting CM minimum. If Carney goes we need some depth too. 

If the owners are happy with top 10 this year then these plans can be relaxed but I don’t think top 10 is enough for them. 

20 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I still don't think were going to break into the top 10.

A midfielder and striker short and I'm also not 100% convinced the manager has it tactically.

If we dobt break top 10 this year then serious questions will have to be asked of gerrard.

But i think we will

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

But bringing in another RB just blocks the path for KKH.  Cash is first choice, Guilbert as backup and then others who can cover… AND we could still loan out KKH.

Bringing in another body there would be madness. 

If you think cash and Guilbert is the quality required to get us where we want to be, that’s fine.

I don’t

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we dobt break top 10 this year then serious questions will have to be asked of gerrard.

But i think we will

that should be the bare minimum expectation, unless its like 2 seasons back when we had a great points total and didnt crack it

Just now, paul514 said:

If you think cash and Guilbert is the quality required to get us where we want to be, that’s fine.

I don’t

Where do we want to be? We arent making top 6 this season and we will only play about 43 games this season

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don’t

I would say Cash is good enough for the mean time. Guilbert lacks the quality. 

However Cash is rarely injured and Chambers is a capable back up fullback. After all we have 4 other centre backs. For me Chambers place in the squad is as much back up right back and DM, as centre back. 

The quality of right back we need could well be KKH. So to stick with Cash, and have Chambers and Young as back ups to right back, while KKH develops some more makes sense.

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

that should be the bare minimum expectation, unless its like 2 seasons back when we had a great points total and didnt crack it

Yup top ten is the minimum. 7th or 8th with European qualification is what we really need. This would be a statement of intent, more money, more games so we'd be able.to accommodate a Deeper squad, and make us more attractive to those top tier talents. 

I'm pretty sure the board are desperate for this.

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

We really need to be getting ahead of the Palaces, Brightons and Wolves of the world with the outlay we've made.

You’d think so but I think you have to remember we were playing catch-up on those teams. First season spending was hugh but it was because we had no players ! It was to build a squad just to stay up. Last 2-3 seasons we have spent a lot but is it a significant amount more than those 3 teams mentioned ?  

Be interested to see how our wages look against those teams though and whether it’s a lot higher now.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’d think so but I think you have to remember we were playing catch-up on those teams. First season spending was hugh but it was because we had no players ! It was to build a squad just to stay up. Last 2-3 seasons we have spent a lot but is it a significant amount more than those 3 teams mentioned ?  

Yes agreed. First season spending felt huge at the time because we had just come from the Championship. However, looking back, we really only spent 1 Jack Grealish and half a Maguire building a full squad that survived in the PL. 

Compared to the big 6 teams we are trying to (eventually) catch, we are still spending a lot less than them.  It just doesn't seem excessive for them because they have so much more turnover that they can easily spend £50m on a player and have it not work out. 

And for the 3 teams that we need to overtake ASAP, we started with a worse team than them, so we have to spend more than them to overtake them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't get why people think top 10 is so ridiculously hard to achieve.

In my opinion:

• there aren't 10 teams with better striking options with us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better a better keeper than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better creative options than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better equipped squads than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with a better DM than us 
  • there aren't 10 teams with 2 first team quality players for more positions than us

Let alone all of the above.

Well its because we all really want 7th (including the owners, Gerrard and Purslow) and would be a little disappointed with 10th this season.

Edited by ender4

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Be interested to see how our wages look against those teams though and whether it’s a lot higher now.

Do you still think they have better teams/squads than us? Our wages will definitely be higher than all 3.

Just now, ender4 said:

Well it because we all really want 7th (including the owners, Gerrard and Pirslow) and would be a little disappointed with 10th this season.

I'm responding to the numerous posts there have been over the last few weeks and months saying we need x more starting players to finish in the top 10. I agree that the club likely see it differently and would be disappointed with 10th.

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't get why people think top 10 is so ridiculously hard to achieve.

In my opinion:

• there aren't 10 teams with better striking options with us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better a better keeper than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better creative options than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better equipped squads than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with a better DM than us 
  • there aren't 10 teams with 2 first team quality players for more positions than us

Let alone all of the above.

Nice ingredients, what’s the recipe and chef like? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, burchy said:

Depends on timeframes I guess, all the talk at the end of 21/22 was we were disappointed with our league position. All the players are talking Europe this time around. 

To get Europe this year, what with all the improvements the Sky 6 have made, we definitely need a quality starting CM minimum. If Carney goes we need some depth too. 

If the owners are happy with top 10 this year then these plans can be relaxed but I don’t think top 10 is enough for them. 

The squad is decent - certainly enough for top 10.

Not a dig at NSWE - they have been great for us - the new stadium plans show long term commitment.

However as things stand I don't think we are getting much above 10th. 

Personally I would rather see a stonking first 11 - than taking delight at cover in various positions. perhaps its an age thing. ! 

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

Nice ingredients, what’s the recipe and chef like? 

I almost said there aren't 10 teams with higher paid managers than us, but I thought it's not strictly relevant! If we can't get top 10 without spending another £80m on a starting midfielder and striker then imo he isn't good enough - would be great if we made these signings anyway. I really hope it does all come together this season.