Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I'm starting to think he is to be honest. I wouldn't be totally against the idea of him staying to be fair.

Neither would I. Not the best option as a backup to Kamara, but you know he can do it if needed to. Plus you add him to the mix of our more forward minded mids and it gives us more of that depth of options so many are complaining we don't have. 😁

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

No one’s perfect, Harry Kane missed chances my dead nan would have put away in the first half of the season. 

So you want us to sign Nani?

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Fair but on the other side of that argument you could argue it's a lot harder to stand out and score/assist regularly in that City side because they have so many good players. Look at Grealish FFS, 3 goals and 3 assists last season playing in a 'much better' team compared to 6 goals and 10 assists for us the season before. Watkins is the focal point of our attack so should be scoring regularly. And while we're obviously not at City's level, we have enough creativity for a decent striker to be converting regularly IMO.

What is converting regularly though? 

We've never had a player score 20 goals in the PL

Ollie has 14 and 11 in 2 seasons, Benteke had 19, 10, 13, Carew had 13, 11, 10, I probably don't need to do gabby... Angel had 1, 12, 1, 16, 7, 3, 4 even Yorke had 11, 6, 6, 17, 17, 12

Give him 3 more full seasons here and he'll have more PL goals than Gabby 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Neither would I. Not the best option as a backup to Kamara, but you know he can do it if needed to. Plus you add him to the mix of our more forward minded mids and it gives us more of that depth of options so many are complaining we don't have. 😁

Hopefully if Luiz stays we can still maybe try to get an '8' that can cover DM better than Luiz can! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not enough for us to make significant strides. Midtable again, we may be lucky to finish 10th. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be.

You were perhaps anticipating we'd be signing a squad to challenge Man Utd and Arsenal?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, allani said:

Following on from this comment I do feel that sometimes the spend over a certain period is an unfair metric.  In the last 5 years (partly due to circumstance and partly down to the ridiculous FFP rules which are so heavily stacked in favour of the Sly 6) we have pretty much had to buy 2 entire squads.  1 squad to try and survive in the PL, another to then push us towards mid-table and eventually a third squad to hopefully allow us to push the Sly 6.  Meanwhile most of the teams who are either in the top 10 or should be (and I include Everton as an example of a team who should) have been building / reinforcing an already strong squad.  A net spend of £80 million when you are looking at two or three top quality players / prospects to fit into a strong squad is very different to a net spend of £100 million when you are trying to replace 6 or 7 players at a time.  To suggest that the second of those teams is underachieving if they finish below the first because they have spent more money is very misleading.  Teams like Palace, West Ham, Everton, Leicester, Southampton, etc were simply miles ahead of us 5 seasons ago in terms of the quality of their playing squad.  We basically then either needed to get really lucky (buying players for peanuts who became internationals) or we needed to spend more than other teams in order to try and catch them up.  We paid a huge price for the failures of 4, 5, 6 seasons ago when our recruitment approach left us with a team that won promotion and yet was at least 15 players short of a team capable of staying up.  The new board could have accepted that and planned on a Norwich style approach of bouncing between the divisions a couple of times in the hope that by the second or third promotion we had a group of younger players who'd developed well enough to stay up and kick on.  However, a lot of teams that do manage to stay up the first year then really struggle in the second and third years as their better players move on and they can't bring in the same level of replacement.  Poor management of our previous owners has basically meant that we've needed to buy at least 20 "starting players" in 3 season so it is no surprise that we have spent more.  But we can't then say that as we are the 5th, 6th highest spenders that we should be aiming to finish 5th or 6th.  That just doesn't take into consideration how **** we were 3 or 4 seasons ago.  Like you say other clubs have spent less but have been able to target their recruitment better and also have some time to bed new players into an established squad.  I genuinely think that we can only realistically compare our spending patterns with those of other mid-table teams from last season / possibly even this summer as we were so far behind. 

Agree with every word 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

The top 6 is miles out of reach for us at the moment. 

7th would be winning the league for us. 

Absolutely.

Could we get 7th with our current squad? Personally, I don't think so.

At LB I would not want our only cover option to be Young if Digne got injured. Unless Chrisene is expected to step up next season.

Then you've got the CM and ST positions where there is still a real problem with consistency. Kamara will benefit the midfield, but I'm not confident in McGinn or Luiz being enough to help us dominate more often than not.

Will be an interesting next few weeks, and will be even more interesting to hear what everyone thinks of our transfer business once it has completely finished for the summer.

• Like 1

Without wanting to sound like a patronising git (I know I can't help it sometimes), its only July 4th. There is no need to panic or worry that we won't sign anyone else. We've been very active so far and improved the team already. If we'd have signed Carlos and Kamara today, everyone would be jubilant. As we did it weeks ago, they are forgotten about as the thirst for new signings takes over. 

I don't think for a moment that that the investment/money has dried up. Our owners are looking to increase the capacity of the ground, build a new inner city academy. Hardly the actions of owners who have reached their limit. Ultimately though we cannot keep throwing £100m plus out the door in every window. We have talented players. We need to get the best out of them. Bailey for example - a quality player, and hopefully like a new signing this summer. 

Anyway, Bobby McFerrin said it best:

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why would Hickey want to move to a club where he needs to wait *3-4 years* for serious game time, when he can instead move to a club who will give him game time next season and finished above us in the table? And don't you think that there will be another talented young left back we can find when we go looking in 1, 2 or 3 years' time?

Are you a closet Brentford fan?

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Four summers ago we were rummaging through scrap bins looking for players as we prepared for another season in the Championship. Now there are fans who think if we don't finish in a European spot next season we're a failure. I get having ambition, and I love optimism as much as the next guy, but some of you lot could do with a nice dose of reality. 

Villa have had an active window to this point. There's a lot of window left. The club wants to improve. It wants to reach Europe. Losing Jack Grealish was a big setback in that pursuit. It can still happen regardless. A little more patience, and a little less bedwetting.

We have to be aiming for Europe surely. At least Challenging. Aston Villa is a big club man. We need to think big

48 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You'd think Luiz was staying judging on the content released by the admin today. 

Let’s not do this to ourselves. There isn’t really a history of players leaving being cut out of commercial releases is there?

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

We have to be aiming for Europe surely. At least Challenging. Aston Villa is a big club man. We need to think big

We are aiming for Europe. It's just a longer trip than many on here seem to realize.

5 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Four summers ago we were rummaging through scrap bins looking for players as we prepared for another season in the Championship. Now there are fans who think if we don't finish in a European spot next season we're a failure. I get having ambition, and I love optimism as much as the next guy, but some of you lot could do with a nice dose of reality. 

Villa have had an active window to this point. There's a lot of window left. The club wants to improve. It wants to reach Europe. Losing Jack Grealish was a big setback in that pursuit. It can still happen regardless. A little more patience, and a little less bedwetting.

Maybe you need a dose of reality? It isn't four years ago, and we have spent £400,000,000 since then.

4 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Now there are fans who think if we don't finish in a European spot next season we're a failure.

Well when your CEO of your football club thinks it was failure 12 months ago not to achieve European football that season, you can understand why fans have that mind set for the upcoming season after the investment and quality of players coming in since.  

I’m guessing the owners and CEO want European football next season and will see it as a failure if we don’t get it.  That’s why they are investing, that’s why they brought in Gerrard so if they thought it was disappointing not to get European place in the league in 20/21 do you honestly believe they won’t see it as a failure if we don’t achieve it in 22/23?

That’s why the fans expect more because the club people do!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Maybe you need a dose of reality? It isn't four years ago, and we have spent £400,000,000 since then.

Should be in the CL with that amount spent.  Everyone out!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

The top 6 is miles out of reach for us at the moment. 

7th would be winning the league for us. 

I don't disagree, the spending of the top 6 really is off the scale at the moment. Even Spurs throwing money around like there's no tomorrow, God knows where they're getting their money from, Levy is usually extremely tight fisted. 

I do think the longer we go without getting into Europe the harder it will be though, purely because Newcastle are now a serious threat. 

• Like 1