Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, RicRic said:

Yeah i 100% agree id see the majority with a decent pair of eyes to say the exact same

But the Otavio link is "interesting" because if he was to be coming in as a CM you would think it would be in the more "free" role that JJ / McGinn would probably fill.  McGinn is twice the player pressing in the opposition half as he is doing the same thing in our half.  So I would be concerned about Kamara-McGinn-Otavio.  Would much rather a 8/6 than an 8/10 (or a 10/8) for the new midfielder.  Unless of course we are thinking that rotating Emi2, Couts and Otavio as 10s gives us plenty of options higher up the pitch.  In which case you'd be thinking that Bailey and Bertie are the guys at risk. 

10 minutes ago, KMitch said:

It's criminal just how underrated McGinn is to a lot of our fanbase...  I like JJ and think he can develop into something special, but McGinn is a starting caliber midfielder for a top 8 side at the very least.  

I think McGinn is overated. He has not demonstrated his ability while we have been in the Premier League anywhere near consistently to deserve his untouchable status. I think we need better, or at least much greater contribution and consistency. We certainly need it if we want to match the owners ambitions.

However I don’t advocate selling, it’s a squad game these days and he can be a valuable squad member.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He could be coming in to replace Buendia. By replace, I mean, to compete with. 

I don’t think Gerrard fancies Buendia. He might see Otavio as a 10 alongside Coutinho. 

For that reason alone, Gerrard should be sacked for gross incompetence. 

Edited by Made In Aston

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As.others have noted, Otavio in a tiny bloke, but seems tenacious and has good defensive stats.

We all know, and I'm sure SG does too, that we need more physicality in the squad.

If only we already had a small but tenacious South American winger with good defensive stats

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

If only we already had a small but tenacious South American winger with good defensive stats

Yeah but I don't think Otavio is coming in to be a " winger " as we've discussed to death in the thread.

This is also if there is actually any truth in it to be fair.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He might not rate Buendia? Gerrard out right now for even thinking this for a second. I want him gone! 

I don't even think that is the case, but please don't feed the argument as you are now 😂

Pages incoming!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Otavio is a tiny bloke

I'm having a tough time visualizing.  Can someone tell me how tall he is in Tommy Elphicks please?

Edited by ejs1111
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RicRic said:

So big question and your opinions are always highly regarded imo… if lets say a new CM comes in who would be more under threat Ramsey or Mcginn?

We have to remember, its a squad now, not just a team.

McGinn and Ramsey offer different things, so it depends on what the manager wants to do in a game, and that depends on who we face, what formation....or if its home or away.

When a player has a wide range of attributes, and show a high level of consistency, they are difficult to leave out.....conversely, limited players, are more likely to be rotated.

I am more inclined to favour the word "support" than " threat " but I understand your point.....players need to support each other rather than just take their place....its a team game.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, allani said:

I honestly don't think McGinn gets anywhere close to the starting XI of any of the top 8 sides.  He's not good enough defensively.  He's not good enough on the ball when he is being pressed.  His passing ranges from sublime to woeful (often in the space of seconds).  He's been a big part in the transformation of our club for sure and I would love to keep him at the club - he'd be a great guy to bring on for the last 20 - 30 minutes.  Or someone to play for the first 50 and then get taken off.  I think he is a commentator's delight - because he makes the odd last ditch tackle, sprays the odd Hollywood pass, etc.  But if you actually watch him closely - he loses his man way too often and then has to try and make up for it.  Like Luiz he has been asked to play an unnatural role for the last couple of seasons.  But our problems for the last 2 seasons have been in the main down to our midfield not being good enough.  McGinn is probably the "leader" of that midfield - so out of position or not, he has either under-performed for much of the last 18 months or he is just not good enough to be our "top" midfielder (or even our second best midfielder) if we want to finish higher than we have in the last two seasons.

I couldn't have summed it up any better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

It's criminal just how underrated McGinn is to a lot of our fanbase...  I like JJ and think he can develop into something special, but McGinn is a starting caliber midfielder for a top 8 side at the very least.  

McGinns good at a lot of things and he’s also bad at a lot of things. His long and medium range passing stats are abysmal and his possession stats are abysmal, and that isn’t good enough for a top 8 team

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

McGinn gets a lot of hate on here. Perhaps if he was French, people would love him more. 

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

I don't think he is.

I just think those fans you think don't rate him........see his good points and his not so good points and rate that accordingly....his consistency is questionable too.

However, he can be a driving force, when he is on song and played in the right position.....but that too goes absent at times.

Opponents can lose McGinn too often, when he is played deep......but equally he can bully his way in to the box, too..when played further forward, and only has short runs to make.

John is more a "can be" than a "will be" 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Jean LeGinn? 

I think you overestimate how much people like the French... 

Sanson is revered like he's Zidane on here. Amazing how not playing makes you wonderful. 

• Haha 1