Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

As long as we do get another midfielder who can help out defensively, make us look after the ball better and add some physicality, I’m all for more signings of quality.

I just really really want Buendia’s place in the side to be more assured… we haven’t made the best use of his talents. He’s the most creative player we have and his workrate is immense.

A stronger midfield will allow our two South American no. 10s to thrive and express themselves… we will be so entertaining to watch and win more games.

We need the CF to be more clinical but a more consistent supply of genuine chances is only going to help… we will score more as well as defend better if we sort the balance of the side out. We have to be better in possession.

If we are to line up with two playmaker 10's like Coutinho and Buendia then have a 3rd player that can play in a similar vein makes sense, as this is a squad game. Buendia gets injured every now and then and Coutinho is a little injury prone. Relying on just those two isn't sensible. Yes we have Ings and Bailey who I both rate (really hoping Bailey shows something good this coming season).

BTW I'd say Coutinho is our most creative player. 

I think we have at least 2 signings left in us, possibly 3. If we sign Otavio and / or a defensively minded midfielder then that will follow outgoings I suspect. If Dougie moves on then that defensively minded midfielder comes in. If we move on Sanson or Mcginn then someone like Otavio will come in. If Ashley doesn't sign another contract with us then a back up left back will definitely come in too.

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Agreed, balance is key, you need a mix of different elements or attributes.

Barca weren’t a team completely full of small or light players and the ones that were were supremely technically gifted - that can’t be said for many teams/players. We’re talking world class here.

Not every small player is as skilled and capable with the ball, and when under pressure, anywhere near as well as the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. It’s too simplified a view to say that they were a successful “small” team.

People seem to forget they had physical (and even tall) such as Busquets and Puyol, Pique, Abidal, Mascherano (warrior), Yaya Toure, Alves they weren’t all diminutive skilful players, there was some necessary steel/grit/physicality to help out too but again - supreme technical prowess… absolute top level.

They could get stuck in and fight when needed… no one ever watched the El Clasico’s for example? A lot of togetherness and team spirit as well as fight when needed too. Can’t be said for every team and there aren’t many players on their level, majority of them were world class. A fairly unique team. And it bloody well helps when you have Messi…

Anyway, I would love something similar 😆 The more skill and talent in the side the better imo, I want to be entertained, but balance is again key. We don’t want to be overrun and overpowered… I’m sick of seeing that and it is what has held us back (particularly against better opposition) for too long, particularly in midfield.

Some people have suggested a midfield of Otavio (if even interested), Ramsey and Kamara. That’s even more lightweight than it is now… we would be destroyed 🤣

We lack physicality…

Carlos is going to help in defence, but Kamara needs a hand in midfield and shouldn’t have to bear the burden of the midfield scrap and defensive responsibility… it’s unfair and almost a recipe for distaster with such a young player playing abroad for the first time in his career… we shouldn’t be taking such huge risks and putting him under so much pressure. He is class but let’s help him bring that out rather than make life more difficult for him…

When it comes to scrapping, McGinn tries… but it’s not enough and I don’t think he should ever be guaranteed a spot. He needs to improve in possession too. The whole side does…

I remember SG saying we lack steel and grit. I agree, let’s hope we fully address that now while keeping talent and skill in the side such as the likes of Coutinho and Buendia (START HIM! 😆).

100% this. I'll be amazed if our no8 signing isnt of the more physical type. 

• Like 3

Just now, eholm said:

100% this. I'll be amazed if our no8 signing isnt of the more physical type. 

I'm the same.  I think he needs to be more defensive minded rather than attack minded, which will allow the more attack oriented CM (Ramsey or McGinn) to go forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ashley Preece is having a shocking window. 

I feel for him a bit. He's a nice dude but genuinely has 0 contacts at the club and just makes predictions on gut feel. 

• Like 4

Just now, PieFacE said:

I feel for him a bit. He's a nice dude but genuinely has 0 contacts at the club and just makes predictions on gut feel. 

I agree. You can see he is a genuine guy etc. 

Clearly desperate for some kind of solid link to the club but nobody seems to want to give him any info, so he merely predicts.

here’s some ITK nonsense for you 

I have a friend who works at Nike (account manager for athlete sponsorships) she’s just told me that Eriksen is prepping to move on from Brentford. Giving me the the ol eyeball emoji 👀

She told me last year Jack was staying at Villa, so she’s not fully in the know.. just passing on office goss. 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I have a friend who works at Nike (account manager for athlete sponsorships) she’s just told me that Ericsson is prepping to move on from Brentford. Giving me the the ol eyeball emoji 👀

She told me last year Jack was staying at Villa, so she’s not fully in the know.. just passing on office goss. 

It's widely reported he's joining United is it not?

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I have a friend who works at Nike (account manager for athlete sponsorships) she’s just told me that Ericsson is prepping to move on from Brentford. Giving me the the ol eyeball emoji 👀

As in Sony?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

If we are to line up with two playmaker 10's like Coutinho and Buendia then have a 3rd player that can play in a similar vein makes sense, as this is a squad game. Buendia gets injured every now and then and Coutinho is a little injury prone. Relying on just those two isn't sensible. Yes we have Ings and Bailey who I both rate (really hoping Bailey shows something good this coming season).

BTW I'd say Coutinho is our most creative player. 

I think we have at least 2 signings left in us, possibly 3. If we sign Otavio and / or a defensively minded midfielder then that will follow outgoings I suspect. If Dougie moves on then that defensively minded midfielder comes in. If we move on Sanson or Mcginn then someone like Otavio will come in. If Ashley doesn't sign another contract with us then a back up left back will definitely come in too.

The confusing thing for me is.....many of us agree Dougie is not a defensive midfielder, just deployed there, while we sorted ourselves out.

yet we still talk about him as if he's a no6 ......If he goes, we are losing a No 8 imo.

Unless Nakamba is capable of playing alongside Kamara in certain games, we do need another defensively capable midfielder......BK will find the going tough, if we don't provide him with some help.

Midfield needs to have a robust tone to it.....for us to improve.

• Like 3