Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Botman would be a better signing than any of our centre backs.

one of our CBs still hasn't kicked a ball for us so not sure how you can come to that conclusion

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

What he said. We need a progressive passer. 

Yeah Gallagher doesn't make sense for us, we have a lack of experience in midfield and we lack a top level passer. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah Gallagher doesn't make sense for us, we have a lack of experience in midfield and we lack a top level passer. 

It’s a shame that we never got Ward-Prowse last summer.  Him next to Kamara and Ramsey would have been a nice blend.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Are we allowed to sign a young one or are they banned?

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Botman, who knows if he will succeed of fail in the Premier League. This is VT and the main reason people love Botman is because he is young. Anybody Young from a foreign league is automatically better than any player over 25 already at Villa

So your saying Kamara is not as good as Nakamba? 

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

Botman would be a better signing than any of our centre backs.

Doesn't look from the stats on fbref like there's much in it between Carlos and Botman. Botman has aerial advantage, probably helps he's 4" taller.

Smarterscout ratings benchmarked for Prem look like this:

image.png.6c965eecc21862db9ba635f9772ff443.png

1 minute ago, tomsky_11 said:

Doesn't look from the stats on fbref like there's much in it between Carlos and Botman. Botman has aerial advantage, probably helps he's 4" taller.

Botman is also probably 5 years from his prime though 

3 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

There's loads between them.  Carlos significantly better defensively and with ball retention, and  slightly worse in an offensive sense.

It's not a surprise though, he's older and if he isn't a better player than Botman next season I'll be absolutely amazed.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Botman is also probably 5 years from his prime though 

Yeah sure he's obviously got room to grow that Carlos and Mings don't given ages. If the argument is around who's the better defender right now though, that doesn't look so clear cut.

Like I said initially I would assume Botman would make our starting back 5. I don't think anyone else from Newcastle does.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

There's loads between them.

The raw stats on fbref aren't that different. I think part of the difference probably comes from La Liga being a stronger league when compared to the Prem on smarterscout.

3 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

The raw stats on fbref aren't that different. I think part of the difference probably comes from La Liga being a stronger league when compared to the Prem on smarterscout.

Botman and Carlos both weren't in the prem. If the "defending quality" and "defending quantity" are subjective scores that smarter scout puts in then fair enough it maybe isn't so clear cut.

Botman is better in the air than either of our choices so may complement our existing defender in Mings better, but looking at those images I'd say Carlos is a significantly better defender.

Edited by MrBlack

AS Saint-Etienne need to sell to generate 20m euros for balancing their books with their league's financial watchdog according to l'equipe.

Lucas Gourna-Douath was someone we were linked with last summer. 18 year old defensive minded midfielder. They have another young midfield talent on their books, although more attack minded - 19yo Adil Aouchiche.

May be that they have to sell both, and both would go for around £10m.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Doesn't mean he'll get any better.

Of course not but he has a lot more long term potential to go higher in the game than Carlos or Mings with the right environment. Heerenveen is a top academy he came from and Lille have developed top talents themselves so is on a good path

18 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

I love Tyrone. I think we are super lucky to have him. Konsa was the weak link last season. Going to be an interesting battle for the CB spots with Carlos onboard. 

• Like 1