Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

easy tiger......Luke Robinson is a good guy, who is the main man on UTV podcast.....met him going to the game, nice fella and Villa bonkers, what is there not to like?

Its entertainment and light hearted, from very committed Villa Supporters.

I would have gallagher all day long.

Fair enough. Maybe I'll check out a few more.

The one I listened to yesterday just gave a bad impression as Preece has no credibility in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I struggle to see what additional Midfielder we can get in this market that will be an improvement on Luiz. 

Bissouma or Phillips would have improved us. 

Koné, sangare, aouar, Fabian Ruiz, all upgrades

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

The one I listened to yesterday just gave a bad impression as Preece has no credibility in my opinion.

Preece is a good guy but it’s hard to take him seriously chatting about transfers. For the love of Paul McGrath is the best pod if you’re looking at transfer links scouting etc imo 

• Like 2

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

Preece is a good guy but it’s hard to take him seriously chatting about transfers. For the love of Paul McGrath is the best pod if you’re looking at transfer links scouting etc imo 

Yeah I definitely don't get a sense that Preece is anything but a good guy. I just don't think he has any actual ITK info.

• Like 2

Unless we are changing system I can't see why we would be in for Soucek. He's not mobile enough to be an 8 and would be baffling if we signed Kamara to put him on the bench.

And I doubt we spend £30m or whatever to have Soucek as a rotation player. He's OK, good in the air and pops up with the odd goal which is nice. Although 6 from 49 games last season isn't spectacular.

8 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think Soucek would be an improvement too. Defensively sound and such a threat in the air! 

His defensive stats are pretty poor, as are his passing and possessions stats- why do think  West Ham are keen to sell? He doesn’t fit into how we are set up to play.  Limited footballer as found out last season when the goals dried up whose massively  overrated for the fees involved. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

To be fair, Villa are very tight lipped these days and rightly so....Ashley is just doing a job, like us all.( when I was working)

He will be going out to Australia, so his paymasters must take him seriously, else they are wasting money.

I guess he hears bits and pieces, but opinions behind the scenes I would imagine change day to day, like the weather.

I'm not trying to promote the show, buts ok at a time when a bit of Villa Banter is welcome....some of these podcasts are decent light entertainment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

His defensive stats are pretty poor, as are his passing and possessions stats- why do think  West Ham are keen to sell? He doesn’t fit into how we are set up to play.  Limited footballer as found out last season when the goals dried up whose massively  overrated for the fees involved. 

I was shocked when I looked at his stats there, I don’t know if it was just the season he had last year or the jealousy of the physicality West Ham had but I definitely had the blinkers on

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I don't think we will ever make that jump. Thats not a criticism of anyone at Villa, but the top 6 have such an advantage, its a huge ask to overhaul and stay there. 

Do they have such an advantage? It's not only a matter of money and perceived size of the club, but also competency.

The closest thing to a permanent football aristocracy in England that will probably always be bigger than Villa is Liverpool, Man U, and Arsenal, and even those clubs have their down periods. Man U is incompetently run by the Glazers right now, and Arsenal is still recovering from the costs of their stadium and the rot of the late Wenger era. Liverpool is the only one that is "up" right now.

By any historical measure, City, Spurs, Chelsea, Villa, Everton, and Newcastle are the "second tier" after Man U, Liverpool, and Arsenal. We were a more successful club than any of them except Everton for most of the 1980s and 1990s. Can we match them now?

Abramovich was determined, free-spending, and competent for Chelsea, but he's gone now. We will see if the new ownership is as determined and competent or whether they turn into Blue Glazers.

The Abu Dhabi group at City are determined and free-spending, but their competency is largely based on Guardiola. They were certainly successful before he got there, but not dominant. While they will remain dominant for another 5 years or so, we will see if the current success outlives Pep, or whether Pep's eventual retirement is like Ferguson's retirement at Man U.

If no other of the current top 6, Spurs is a club we should be able to match...maybe not CL every year, but certainly capable of getting there a few times a decade.

Everton spent a ton of money but completely incompetently, the prime example of why money doesn't work by itself. It remains to be seen whether Newcastle's ownership is more like City or more like Everton, but so far, I like our moves in the transfer market more than theirs.

Finally, we have the benefit of being in the richest league. As more players want to come to England, and places like Italy and Germany become less competitive, there's more room for more English clubs to be "big."

I like our ownership and management. They have both the key factors: Competency and money. They clearly intend to build slowly, and that's wise given that we're recovering from a decade of rot, including three years out of the PL. But I think that at least occasional top 6 or even top 4 finishes are in our medium-term future.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I was shocked when I looked at his stats there, I don’t know if it was just the season he had last year or the jealousy of the physicality West Ham had but I definitely had the blinkers on

well, how ever he gets rated.....they always manage to beat us with him in midfield....admittedly he has rice as his partner in crime.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

easy tiger......Luke Robinson is a good guy, who is the main man on UTV podcast.....met him going to the game, nice fella and Villa bonkers, what is there not to like?

Its entertainment and light hearted, from very committed Villa Supporters.

I would have gallagher all day long.

Indeed, can't help but like the bloke, so it took me off guard when the " shit podcast " comment was made, seems a lovely, and genuine bloke.

ALSO, the notion that he Evans just came out with  " We want Gallagher " etc is bollox, I actually watched the episode.

Luke et al specifically asked him about names, and he gave his thoughts.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I struggle to see what additional Midfielder we can get in this market that will be an improvement on Luiz. 

Bissouma or Phillips would have improved us. 

Neither of them wanted a move to us though, so be it.