Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Not been afraid to spend money in the in the last 22 years 😬

Numbers are obviously not 100% correct but a ballpark estimate. 

Don't doubt for a second that we will continues to spend this summer.

25 minutes ago, sne said:

West Ham, Wolves and especially Leicester have done well according to their spending then...

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

West Ham, Wolves and especially Leicester have done well according to their spending then...

Yeah, not that they are the big ones in this but salaries and signing fees not included in that list.

55 minutes ago, sne said:

Just shows how much money has been wasted by the club given what happened over that period.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s so frustrating. Everton aside look at all the teams around us and where they are. 

Remember when we were miles ahead of Tottenham, they were on the verge of relegation and survived after firing that Spanish guy. We were pushing for Europe. Now they are guaranteed European football every season, we have little hope of that yet. 

They have a great stadium and massive income to come from it. We are lightyears behind there too. 

It's all down to some awful management and transfer decisions. They ultimately got theirs right and villa got them hugely wrong.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Iouonlremaininbusinesitbrinianothemidfieldeanback-uleft-backtheexpectationfonexseasoshouldn'btseriouslchallengtosevenbutmerelfinistohalf.
Foiwilmeathonlwawhavstrengtheneteathafinishefourteentlasseasoanhasn'finishetohalitwelvyearsibaddintwcentramidfieldertthstartinelevenonowhicirelativyoungsteanwilnetthcountrythothewdon'knothidentitoyetancentradefendethawhilsseeminglgoodwdon'knohomucoaimprovemenhe'gointboMingoKonsa.
ThteawilbimprovedanhopefullGerraranthcoachinstafhavinpre-seasowitthplayerwilalshelpbuchallenginfoEuropwilbmorohoprathethaaexpectation.
Attacneedimprovinganthmidfieldewbrinineedtbgenuinimprovemenowhawalreadhave.

What is with the font and colouring? Feel like I’m strobing out with the colours and  reading Shakespeares original documents with the font.  Plus words are split on different lines.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

We're being linked with sixteen year old Bristol City attacking midfielder Reuben Mcallister.

Newcastle, Brighton, Leicester, Rangers, and Celtic also linked, so we're one of a few but artilce says that Gerrard is ready to go toe-to-toe with his rivals for the youngster.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, useless said:

Iouonlremaininbusinesitbrinianothemidfieldeanback-uleft-backtheexpectationfonexseasoshouldn'btseriouslchallengtosevenbutmerelfinistohalf.
Foiwilmeathonlwawhavstrengtheneteathafinishefourteentlasseasoanhasn'finishetohalitwelvyearsibaddintwcentramidfieldertthstartinelevenonowhicirelativyoungsteanwilnetthcountrythothewdon'knothidentitoyetancentradefendethawhilsseeminglgoodwdon'knohomucoaimprovemenhe'gointboMingoKonsa.
ThteawilbimprovedanhopefullGerraranthcoachinstafhavinpre-seasowitthplayerwilalshelpbuchallenginfoEuropwilbmorohoprathethaaexpectation.

I am not one to be a particular downer on Gerrard but I think we have to realise that whoever we bring in on the pitch, other managers in the top six/seven include Pep, Klopp, Conte (arguably the top three in the world), plus a CL-winner in Tuchel and Ten Hag being very well thought of. Even if all players were equal you’d expect them to finish well clear of us. So talking about challenging Europe is either hoping Arsenal fall apart as Arteta is also unproven/inexperienced, or that we are the best of the rest in a fight for ONE place, seventh. I think top half is the realistic aim, whatever the ambitions of the owners, and then we just have to hope we are the ones out of us, West Ham, Leicester etc who have the big year.

Edited by Adam2003

First things first is to overtake the likes of Leiciester, Wolves, and West Ham, but I think they're there for the taking, all three have actually shown signs of decline.

I think where we differ from these clubs is that we don't just want a one off season or two where we challenge top seven or six, we want to get there and stay there, turn the top six into a top seven or whatever, I'm sure those clubs would have liked that too, what I mean is that our owners will show the ambition to match that lofty aim.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I refuse to read this.

2 hours ago, sne said:

I ran the numbers via TransferMarket and the rough number I have is £834.63m over 22 years. The average spend (I'm looking simply at spend averages around £38m per year on transfers when rounded up).

I think it's really dishonest to compare to other countries when for example here TV money in the Premier League is vast compared to other countries and in 2003 via Abramovich and the arrival of Sports Washing Man City had influences on big transfer fees and spends.

If you exclude some of MON's extravagencies, we boast a fairly modest spend pre-relegation. Those excesses for me set the course for where we ended up ultimately. There was a big drop in spending when Lerner lost interest (got divorced etc). The next big transfer spend came from the sales of the likes of Benteke in that relegation season and whilst not repeating history, the club had to massively spend to avoid relegation. The seasons out of the league were when TV money massively tilted the football calculus, it was impossible to not spend, lest you become Norwich. And you could even make an argument that the parachute payments helped the big initial spend under the clown shoes Xia era.

Every country has a different economic context as far as football environments go - for example, some clubs like Barca and Real can dictate TV money and still run themselves into effective bankruptcy. We almost suffered a similar fate. But like a lot with life, these contextless figures don't really tell us much. Football has changed massively in a short amount of time, let alone 22 years. Therefore, for me, such stats when compared to other countries and other clubs, doesn't really stick. Especially when we are living in the reality of countries owning clubs and UEFA allowing the most elite clubs to continue with their unsustainable methods.

This isn't aimed at anyone, but an observation on similar graphics that pop up. Perhaps it's more a reflection of how unsustainable the Premier League is and how much of a closed shop certain clubs have made it. I imagine we'd see much different positions if we factored in factors like wages. Transfer fees are one facet of a much more broken, uneven and unsustainable puzzle called the Premier League.

Edited by The_Steve

Unlike pretty much any other club on the top half of those list we've spent those eye watering sums without getting any money from CL football. Or player sales really, it's Grealish and the odd £ here and there.

Club has been run in a terrible way for most of that period, but we've spent money.

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Unlike pretty much any other club on the top half of those list we've spent those eye watering sums without getting any money from CL football. Or player sales really, it's Grealish and the odd £ here and there.

Club has been run in a terrible way for most of that period, but we've spent money.

Nobody would dispute how poorly the club has been run - relegation was a long time comig - nobody would dispute that. Again, I don't think that's really fair of a comparison.

Transfer spend in 3 seasons leading to relegation:

2013/14 - £17.86m (£7.29m outgoing)
2014/15 - £12.11m (£1m outgoing)
2015/16 - £59.90m (£58m outgoing)

Transfer spend since PL return:

£143.55m (2.7m outgoing)
£91.22m (2.49m outgoing)
£116.84m (114.3m outgoing)

The comparison is staggering because that's how quickly the league has changed - especially with obscene TV money and the likes of Chelsea and Man City grossly distorting wages and fees further still.

If we factor in the latest window, Leeds have spent over £200m on players sice promotion. This isn't just being badly run, but a reality of the cost clubs face to be competitive.

• Like 1