Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

18 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I thought all those players were underrated on here at the time (same with some of our players now) and am not at all surprised by their subsequent success but I think your post could also be used as an example of how even signing really really good players doesn’t work IF you sign them too early. Fine if you plan to loan them out and let them develop, not if they’re all going into the team.

I think the problem was the infrastructure around them, the senior pros at Villa like Lescott, Gabby and Richards and the management team. Come in now this time we actually have senior pros in Martinez, Mings and Coutinho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Are you kidding? An 18 year old Paraguayan kid vs a16 year old Scottish kid but it’s not the same. 

Can’t see that the Paraguayan league is that good after doing some research on it just

Or do you want to compare him to 20 year old Cameron Archer?

Essentially we’ve just brought a young Scottish kid for peanuts with massive potential and they’ve spent a bundle on a South American kid with massive potential, certainly scope there for comparison.  Odds are we have the better deal.

Well one has senior international caps and one has only played youth football. So yes, they are not the same.

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well one has senior international caps and one has only played youth football. So yes, they are not the same.

giphy.gif

so if you don’t have senior caps you can’t compare 😂 Archer doesn’t have senior caps but I wouldn’t swap Archer for this kid.  JJ doesn’t have senior caps but I wouldn’t swap for this kid….

Edited by nick76

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

He'd be perfect along side Kamara if we were to ever play 4-2-3-1 however I just don't see SG ever playing that formation unfortunately, he seems intent on making a 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 work.

I genuinely think we will play something between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-2-1 next season.  I think SG wants two CMs who will be more "holding" players - allowing JJ or McGinn a little more freedom to roam.  So we will line up as a 4-3-2-1 but with the expectation that one of the midfield three will look to join Emi2 and Couts when we are on the ball - with the other two holding back so that the FBs can provide the width to our attack.  I can see JJ or McGinn getting a lot of chances by either attacking the top of the box late or by bombing past Couts / Emi2.  In that type of system I think Hojberg would work pretty well.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Is this genuine? Cant tell what's fact and fiction anymore.

The second 'l' in villa in the twitter handle is slightly shorter than the first one.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

giphy.gif

so if you don’t have senior caps you can’t compare 😂 Archer doesn’t have senior caps but I wouldn’t swap Archer for this kid.  JJ doesn’t have senior caps but I wouldn’t swap for this kid….

Archer and JJ both have senior appearances at club level though.  That’s why Brighton have had to pay what they paid. If Rory Wilson had senior appearances for Rangers and International caps for Scotland, we would have to pay a hell of lot more.

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Archer and JJ both have senior appearances at club level though.  That’s why Brighton have had to pay what they paid. If Rory Wilson had senior appearances for Rangers and International caps for Scotland, we would have to pay a hell of lot more.

So we got him before we had to pay more for him is all that means then. 

It’s bizarre you are arguing with me trying to prove Brighton are doing better deals on kids than Villa which is the whole point of my argument and response to the original posters comment.  Given all we have done on teenage prospects over the last couple of years, to argue against that and in favour of Brighton is bizarre but each to their own.

Edited by nick76

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So we got him before we had to pay more for him is all that means then. 

It’s bizarre you are arguing with me tying to prove Brighton are doing better deals on kids than Villa which is the whole point of my argument and response to the original posters comment.  Given all we have done on teenage prospects over the last couple of years, to argue against that and in favour of Brighton is bizarre but each to their own.

I never said the deal was better just not comparable. One was signed for big money and will feature in the first team next season. One was signed for peanuts and will continue to play youth football for the next 3 or 4 years unless he’s the next Wayne Rooney..

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Last season

Gana PSG 

Veretout Roma

Adama Traore loan at Barcelona 

Think them signings actually weren't the problem. Even Ayew played for a team that finished above us and Amavi will be playing European football next season 

Yeh was thinking more about those years before where we were signing relatively unknown prospects from around the world. Sanchez, Okore, Helenius, Tonev, Luna, little skilful Spanish players who’s name I forget, Benteke etc.. Every now and then you get a good one.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:
  Hide contents

I know, we all know. Just shut up 

This fake account confused me for ages as it looks like he has the same @ as the real villareport. If you look closely on of the L’s is a capital i. Very clever 👏🏻

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I never said the deal was better just not comparable. One was signed for big money and will feature in the first team next season. One was signed for peanuts and will continue to play youth football for the next 3 or 4 years unless he’s the next Wayne Rooney..

Ok whatever! I’ve gone past caring, you just have a bizarre way of looking at it but you probably feel the same about my view.  Enjoy your day!

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Expect our new left back could be Josh Doig from Hibs … 

Bologna and now Verona also interested according to "The Scotsman" (link: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/josh-doig-new-front-runners-in-chase-for-hibs-starlet-as-fresh-italian-club-enter-market-3736913 ). Given that, would he be willing to move to Villa Park, to act as a PL:):  

image.jpeg.d51c3b891f1bfe3a08e9edea31a31733.jpeg

Doubting Ox because of his injury record is one thing, doubting him because of his ability is ludicrous. He’d be the perfect foil, cover and potential mentor for Ramsey. He would arguably immediately be our 2nd best midfielder.

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Doubting Ox because of his injury record is one thing, doubting him because of his ability is ludicrous. He’d be the perfect foil, cover and potential mentor for Ramsey. He would arguably immediately be our 2nd best midfielder.

He's got some ability (as has any player that plays for Liverpool) but not enough to significantly improve us and move us from midtable wannabes to top 6/7 challengers. His numbers are pretty weak for a supposedly more attack-minded midfielder. And that's without mentioning his injury record or age.

He's certainly one of Liverpool's poorer signings of the last few years and for the money spent on him Arsenal mugged off Liverpool big time. Definite Barkley vibes about that one and hope it isn't true.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Do we actually have any targets or are we going to sleepwalk to the start of the season again without sufficient strengthening of the squad. Lange I am looking at you 

8E27717D-6F24-4AD9-B6AB-4248F0178B3B.gif.85dd1f0ca18cc61bc7086796b9b28c69.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nicho said:

Brighton have just paid £9 million for an 18 year old Paraguan Striker called Julio Cesar Enciso. The exact kind of football manager business I want us to do. 

TBF we were linked with that Alvarez guy a year ago. Who knows how genuine that link every was but would've been more interesting to get him in than Ings which was a total curveball signing.

Even if we sell Ings somehow I think at least Ollie has had two years of premier league football behind him so while we all know his flaws the CF situation isn't as critical as it is to solve now as in summers 2019 and 2020 so we could go development again and have him and Archer waiting on bench ready to make their mark over the season.

I actually think Brereton Diaz would be interesting option. Scored a good range of goals last season for Blackburn and looked good for Chile surrounded by better players so think he could score in premier league. Sevilla were linked the other day but think he'd rather have a prem move.

Edited by VillaChris

51 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I thought he looked good years ago for Arsenal centrally but he left them in 2017.

What stand out games has he had for Liverpool in recent times? Wasn't making the bench in the run in despite being fit and can't remember the last time England called him up.

Probably different in terms of attitude but I'd say it would be similar to bringing Dele Ali in, guy who was last good 3-4 years ago and simply not played enough football to suddenly throw him in for 30-40 starts a season.

Would be massively disappointed in Gerrard if he's a serious target for us.