Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

6 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Brighton have just paid £9 million for an 18 year old Paraguan Striker called Julio Cesar Enciso. The exact kind of football manager business I want us to do. 

And when he doesn’t score in pre season we will call him over rated, get on his back in his first home game and sell him for a fiver in January?

21 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Brighton have just paid £9 million for an 18 year old Paraguan Striker called Julio Cesar Enciso. The exact kind of football manager business I want us to do. 

It seems good when it comes off but it’s actually the kind of transfer approach we did in Lerners later years. Great until we see them play.

28 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Still a risky transfer if he doesn’t fulfil his potential. The fee isn’t huge these days but you can’t stack your bench with ‘what ifs’ in a team which is allergic to scoring goals. They have an excellent scouting system and yet I’m equally excited by signing Rory from Rangers and that we’ve got 3 lads in the England U19s and great youngsters like Swinkels and others who could breakout too. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I'll see you in a couple of weeks, folks. This forum has become unbearable over the last few days. 

That’s what boredom does.

I think we are now competing in and waiting on the whole leagues chain to fall into place. Most players we are in for will be looking for Champions League, we will wait for the system to decide who gets their move or are looking at their options if that doesn’t come off. We are in a good place to pick up those missing out. We clearly need to off load a few too..

• Like 1

It’s the first season in a while where the club captain, who ‘loves the club’ dearly, isn’t flirting with other clubs, so it’s bound to feel a little quiet. 

Edited by Dodgyknees
  • Like 2

I’m loving how things aren’t so hectic this summer. Yes we lost Beale, but quickly replaced him, when last summer our backroom team was decimated. Then we lost our best player fairly late in the day. We had no real consistency, and it filtered through the majority of the season.

Gerrard will get exactly what he wants in this window. There is no way he would come here to put up with close enough is good enough.

I can see us doing a few more deals yet. We just prioritised the fantastic value deals for Coutinho, Carlos and Kamara first of all. Net spend of something like £30m so far. Still plenty left to go at.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Nicho said:

For every one of Brighton's transfer successes (Bissouma, Mwepu, Lamptey etc.) there are many more failures (Jahanbakash, Propper, Bernardo, Karbownik etc etc etc.). They buy a massive amount of players in the £5-10m bracket and hope they come good. 

I have a lot of time for the way they operate, but its likely that they will forever (at best) be a mid table premier league side because they are built on finding the odd gem and selling on for a monstrous profit. 

As @Delphinho123 said, we are sitting at a different table now with our owners, and our "football manager" signings are younger players who we can develop with our world class academy. This allows us to still make money on young talent that costs us peanuts (look at Finn Azaz who will likely go for good money one day but cost us nothing) like Brighton, but still buy ready made proven talent to get us into Europe - somewhere Brighton will never be with their model. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

And when he doesn’t score in pre season we will call him over rated, get on his back in his first home game and sell him for a fiver in January?

That’s about right. World class in June/July, a bit disappointing in August, distinctly average in September, the worst player on the planet by October. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Why? 18 year old £9 million prospects won’t help us break into the top 8 let alone top 6.

Good for Brighton it’s the sort of clever business that’ll keep them a mid table team.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'll see you in a couple of weeks, folks. This forum has become unbearable over the last few days. 

Your detox could need more than a couple of weeks to do any good. You’re forgetting the Louis Suarez signing and of course the Great Gareth Bale debate hasn’t really got started yet. 

• Haha 1

Just now, zab6359 said:

Why? 18 year old £9 million prospects won’t help us break into the top 8 let alone top 6.

Good for Brighton it’s the sort of clever business that’ll keep them a mid table team.

This. If they are to push on they need something they have lacked for a fair few years. A goalscorer.

Ings would be perfect for them.

We are signing prospects, but our main business will be first team players to improve on what’s already here.

Going to get exciting next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

If only we’d signed Rori De Wilsosa. Now you’re talking 

• Like 3

So quiet at the moment, no wonder people are restless because we still need 2 maybe 3 first team players and there are no links except to Bale which I am expecting and hoping to be complete bull. I see Manure fans planned to stage a protest at the CEO's house yesterday due to lack of transfer activity, they're similar to Everton fans.

I think we still need four new signings, with 2 or 3 to go into the first team:

CB (sell Hause and maybe even Mings although I know many won't like that)

LB

CM

FW

My picks would be any of the following:

CB (left footed) - Ake, Botman, Lisandro Martinez (the last 2 linked heavily with Newcastle and Arsenal)

LB - Merlin, Gomez or Hickey

CM - Gallagher, Auoar, Koopmeiners, Sangare, Majer 

ST - David, Guedes

If the club think we can go into next season with what we currently have, we'll do well to finish top 10 IMO. Those are the type of signings that can push us on to top 7 which is where we need to be next season. 

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

So quiet at the moment, no wonder people are restless because we still need 2 maybe 3 first team players and there are no links except to Bale which I am expecting and hoping to be complete bull. I see Manure fans planned to stage a protest at the CEO's house yesterday due to lack of transfer activity, they're similar to Everton fans.

I think we still need four new signings, with 2 or 3 to go into the first team:

CB (sell Hause and maybe even Mings although I know many won't like that)

LB

CM

FW

My picks would be any of the following:

CB (left footed) - Ake, Botman, Lisandro Martinez (the last 2 linked heavily with Newcastle and Arsenal)

LB - Merlin, Gomez or Hickey

CM - Gallagher, Auoar, Koopmeiners, Sangare, Majer 

ST - David, Guedes

If the club think we can go into next season with what we currently have, we'll do well to finish top 10 IMO. Those are the type of signings that can push us on to top 7 which is where we need to be next season. 

I don’t think we need a CB, unless it’s someone like Bassey who can play LB or CB. Four CBs should be enough. Mings, Carlos, Konsa, Chambers. Presumably Hause will leave.

13 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Hojberg would be immense for us if its true that spurs want shot of him after the bissouma deal. A much better version of Nakamba that can passand who chips in with the odd goal!

He'd be perfect along side Kamara if we were to ever play 4-2-3-1 however I just don't see SG ever playing that formation unfortunately, he seems intent on making a 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 work.

• Like 1