Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Sorry for being an old fart.....I understand what a no.1, 9 and 10 are but what is a no.8 ??

God be with the days of such terminology like centre half, winger, full back, etc...

When I was a youth (8/9 years old) my school teacher asked me if I could play 'inside center', I replied 'yes' as I didn't want to sound stupid, but to this day I have no idea what position that is... 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Watkins scored 6 in 2022 and Ings 4. That's pretty dismal.

Happily upgrade on either of them.

It certainly suggests we should improve the position by at least one. What's the point of having all this money just to stand still or worse?  Why spend so lavishly on getting the ball to the striker only to spurn chances?

Watkins is not good enough to expect no competition for his place. Ings is slightly different in that he can play deeper. Also, Gerrard signed neither. He'll want his own striker, I'm sure.

39 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

If we go into next season with Ings/Watkins we won't be finishing top 8 imo.

Much better required.

Same applies for Midfield.

I can’t think of anyone who we can realistically sign who’s a genuine upgrade on the two. Strikers cost an absolute fortune too. I think the thought process will be sorting the defence and midfield and giving Ollie and Ings another season 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Sorry for being an old fart.....I understand what a no.1, 9 and 10 are but what is a no.8 ??

A 6 plays in front of the central defenders, a defensively minded midfielder like Nakamba. An 8 plays a bit further up the pitch, more traditional central midfield with a tendency to attack, like McGinn or even Gerrard.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Enda said:

A 6 plays in front of the central defenders, a defensively minded midfielder like Nakamba. An 8 plays a bit further up the pitch, more traditional central midfield with a tendency to attack, like McGinn or even Gerrard.

But not as far forward as a no.10 ?

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

But not as far forward as a no.10 ?

Yes. They all start to blur inevitably as the game progresses and people shift to regain possession and so on, but a 10 is off the shoulder of the 9 and so slightly ahead of the 8 who is a few metres ahead of the 6.

At that level of detail I’ve always thought people were splitting hairs. The effect of Football Manager on fans’ views, I suspect.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'd be happy to go into next season with Ings, Watkins and Archer. Other areas of the squad need improving more so than our strikers imo. 

My feelings are that our CBs are now most in need of upgrade. 

16 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I can’t think of anyone who we can realistically sign who’s a genuine upgrade on the two. Strikers cost an absolute fortune too. I think the thought process will be sorting the defence and midfield and giving Ollie and Ings another season 

This is it for me.  Get those sorted and the rest will click.  If by January we aren't scoring then can look at a striker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't see, 11 players, I see 25.

Its all about options and players fighting for shirts.

There are no guaranteed places anymore, unless the player is pulling up trees.

Well surely ings wouldn’t be happy on the bench but I understand your idea

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'd be happy to go into next season with Ings, Watkins and Archer. Other areas of the squad need improving more so than our strikers imo. 

Were you not annoyed by the amount of chances we spurned? Bearing in mind we've signed a highly rated midfielder and defender (although arguably need a couple more) isn't forward the next priority?

Archer is very exciting and will probably get preseason to show if he can be part of the first team, but we shouldn't expect to rely on him for goals in the top level yet.

21 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

They are out there you just dont know about them 😉 … but all we need really is a CM, Fullback and a striker such as Andre Silva (RB Leipzig) an example of a realistic striker we could sign that improves us in that area or of a similar ilk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Were you not annoyed by the amount of chances we spurned? Bearing in mind we've signed a highly rated midfielder and defender (although arguably need a couple more) isn't forward the next priority?

Archer is very exciting and will probably get preseason to show if he can be part of the first team, but we shouldn't expect to rely on him for goals in the top level yet.

Thank you , cant see how anyone is comfortable going forward with the exact same and expect us to move forward it’s insanity 

46 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

When I was a youth (8/9 years old) my school teacher asked me if I could play 'inside center', I replied 'yes' as I didn't want to sound stupid, but to this day I have no idea what position that is... 

Interesting one this. In my schooldays I played “inside centre” but that was in Rugby Union Football not Association Football.😉

13 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Yes

But at the same time I think there is a strong case for the strikers having issues with confidence and the messing about with systems rather than simply writing Watkins and Ings off as not being good enough for a team 8th to 12th which is where we currently are and should be towards the higher end of that group this year

A front 3 of Watkins, Ings and Archer should be good enough, it's Gerrards job to get them firing

28 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

My feelings are that our CBs are now most in need of upgrade. 

We have just brought Carlos in. Also Mings, Chambers and Konsa are good enough for a europa league/conference team. West Ham and Leicester don't have significantly better CBs and both have finished in European places in recent seasons. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sne said:

Watkins scored 6 in 2022 and Ings 4. That's pretty dismal.

Happily upgrade on either of them.

What happens if the replacement(s) only score the same amount leading to the January window - do we look to replace players each summer after one indifferent season ?

• Like 2