Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’d imagine whatever we’re paying Coutinho has already smashed the wage structure. I can’t see him being on much less than 250k per week at least.

He took a 70% wage cut I’m sure, so I think he’s on a lot less 

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Wasn't Jesus more or less exclusively played as a striker basically until this season when Pep starting playing him on the right and folk then started talking about City not having a proper #9? Have found it strange as up until then he seemed quite an old fashioned poacher type.

He was signed as a winger iirc. I think Pep has always had this grand plan for him, similar to Foden, where he seems to have decided where he will end up playing from when he first ever met them but anyone in that team who isn't the GK or CB needs to have the qualities to play anywhere in the middle, out wide or up top.

I have a few mates who are city fans who were talking about an interview he'd done a while ago where he'd said something along the lines of him regretting asking for the #9 shirt. He just took it as it was available and was handed to him to show his importance to the club but because of how Europeans still veiw shirt numbers, people thought of him as a striker when he prefers to play on the right wing. His number he prefers is 33, I think he's tattooed himself with it too? But he wears 9 for Brazil. 

Speaking to City magazine, Jesus said: "I feel comfortable out wide and can help my teammates and my team. I can make runs in behind, control the ball, make passes, make crosses, help in defending. As I say, I feel comfortable there.

"I didn't start to play as a winger just this season. I have played with the national team there for two years. I started to play in the first team of Palmeiras as a winger as well and I played sometimes when I arrived here as a winger as well. So I think I'm okay there.

"I can make runs in behind, control the ball, make passes, make crosses, help defend so it's all good and suits my game."

I do think he has his best games out wide. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’d imagine whatever we’re paying Coutinho has already smashed the wage structure. I can’t see him being on much less than 250k per week at least.

He is on half of that...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, paul514 said:

We already have a team that COULD push for 6th.

It’s hard to disagree, I don’t think we’ve a worse squad than West Ham for example. I do think we’re a CM away from it being more realistic, 7th has to be the aim 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, skarroki said:

He was signed as a winger iirc. I think Pep has always had this grand plan for him, similar to Foden, where he seems to have decided where he will end up playing from when he first ever met them but anyone in that team who isn't the GK or CB needs to have the qualities to play anywhere in the middle, out wide or up top.

I have a few mates who are city fans who were talking about an interview he'd done a while ago where he'd said something along the lines of him regretting asking for the #9 shirt. He just took it as it was available and was handed to him to show his importance to the club but because of how Europeans still veiw shirt numbers, people thought of him as a striker when he prefers to play on the right wing. His number he prefers is 33, I think he's tattooed himself with it too? But he wears 9 for Brazil. 

I do think he has his best games out wide. 

Interesting one, will definitely bow to the more well-informed knowledge of others as I'm working mostly off memory and obviously don't follow City to know better. I just seemed to remember when he signed he was a striker and at the time part of the talk around him was that he was perhaps looking a bit too limited as an all-rounder to work for Pep (similarly to the stuff that used to get labelled at Aguero for a while). Transfermarkt etc have him playing mostly as a striker for Palmeiras too but those numbers can lack context sometimes and as the quote says he might have gradually moved out wide.

In any case I think he's versatile enough to play through the middle anyway, particularly in a top(ish) side where you have the leeway to shift players due to having more control of games. Even outside of City, Liverpool have played all of Mane, Jota, Diaz and Firmino as "strikers" and so forth.

Not that any of this is particularly relevant as he's not going to be signing for Villa. 😂 Could do with a credible link right now to get this thread back on track.

41 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s just that we’re not going to play it under Gerrard.

You're most likely right but I just want to air my opinion that any manager would be foolish to overlook a formation just because it's not what they've done previously. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

You're most likely right but I just want to air my opinion that any manager would be foolish to overlook a formation just because it's not what they've done previously. 

I totally agree tbh. I much prefer a 4-2-3-1. I miss seeing wingers square up the fullbacks. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It’s hard to disagree, I don’t think we’ve a worse squad than West Ham for example. I do think we’re a CM away from it being more realistic, 7th has to be the aim 

West ham have better strikers than us. Ings was mainly poor last year and watkins was poor in comparison to his 1st season. I dont think neither can take us to next level. One has to be sold and a top class forward needs to come in. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

On paper I think we are still short of them but on the pitch I think we are even more short of them.  They have the physicality and mentally more aggressive.  Even in their decline towards the end of the season you could see it.  We have some talented players but we have a weak underbelly and I’m not sure that is coachable, that’s a part of who you are. I hope the signings of Carlos and Kamara help but I don’t think we are as strong as West Ham.  The fine margins in the PL mean that slight differences are the difference between 7th and lower half of the league.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

West ham have better strikers than us. Ings was mainly poor last year and watkins was poor in comparison to his 1st season. I dont think neither can take us to next level. One has to be sold and a top class forward needs to come in. 

They have one striker and he scored less league goals than Ollie 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Villa87 said:

Tenuous links to Sangare. Never seen him play. Bit of a risk to integrate him along with Kamara?

I’m of the opinion that Gerrard was at that PSV game on a scouting opinion. I don’t buy he was there for any other reason. God knows if it was for Sangare or Madueke or anyone else for that matter, but I think we were looking at somebody. 

Type Sangare into Google and apparently all the top clubs are after him. Obviously might not be true but if it is, I can’t imagine he’d come here.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yarmolenko and Michail Antonio are not better than Watkins and Ings. I'd concede that Antonio suits their style of play more than our strikers fit ours though. 

Antonio scored 10 goals in each of the last 3 seasons (in 36, 26 and 24 games).

Yarmolenko scored 1 goal last season in 19 games (no points for guessing who against).

Bowen and Benrahma don't play as strikers so leaving those out of it, thoughi like both players

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1