Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Arsenal would be mad not to be buying Bissouma this summer. So I expect that one is is near to dead. They will likely bid for him (unless by some trickery we sell them Luiz if they let us sign Bissouma)

Gerrard has been touring DMs and the alleged list looks impressive and pretty much taken straight from the names discussed on here over the last year - difficult for VT to be against any of these!

According to Preece:

Kamara is why they were in Marseille

Kondogbia is why Gerrard was at Atleti v City

Sangare is why Gerrard was at Leicester v PSV.

All of those show we know exactly what we're looking for at DM. All of them would be impressive signings and they come at different fees and parts of their career, so whichever they prefer, if it doesn't work out we have clear options to fall back on that still improve us.

I think Kondogbia > Kamara > Sangare in terms of immediate impact. But cases for all three being the first choice of the lot. 

Kamara probably the best long term signing and if he hit the ground running in the Prem would be perfect.

Sangare whilst not as progressive as Kamara (but still good) would add some of the physicality offered by Kondogbia and be a more realistic option than the other two so stops us chasing a lost cause all summer.

Edited by HalfTimePost

So we have 2 major problems that need addressing in this window. And 3 lesser problems that could be looked at also.

The major problems for me are:

1. Lack of strength and aerial ability outside of the CB position.

2. Lack of control in central midfield.

These problems can be dealt with by simply buying two new 6 foot plus midfielders. Both defence oriented midfielders. So the ideal for me is Bissouma and Kamara.

The control we need in midfield comes in two areas. One; a player to dictate.tempo and distribute from deep. Luiz does this well, but lacks the presence to be effective in front of the back 4. Two; a player to protect the defence effectively and win and keep the ball consistently.

Bissouma offers both and Kamara offers the latter. This would give us the platform the team needs.

The 3 lesser problems are:

1. We lack a genuine top class centre back.

2. We need left back cover when Young leaves.

3. Neither of our current first choice strikers properly fit in with the way Gerrard wants to play.

If we play with Coutinho and Buendia wide we need a striker that offers goals, pace, creativity, and touch. If we play with Bailey in for Buendia or Coutinho, we need a striker that offers goals, creativity, touch and strength. 

None of the wide players we have offer 20 goals per season, so that has to come from a striker. Watkins lacks the creativity and touch, Ings lacks the creativity, and pace, and strength. For what it's worth I believe in the right set up both are capable of 20 goal seasons. Unfortunately that set probably isn't at Villa.

Now in Archer and possibly Davis we have young players that may offer those qualities (Davis probably not the goals). My choice would be sell Ings, promote Archer, send Davis on loan. Maybe look at a loan to buy option as a talented, but risky third choice.

For the second of the three lesser problems, a talented young player looking to make a step up is what I see as the best option. But someone with similar quality to Digne (only quicker) to push Digne would also be good provided we have the finds, but this is an area we should look to save money.

For the Centre back problem this is where I'd be prepared to pay big money. I'd look primarily at right sided cb's as the left sided offer far fewer options. Plus Mings is one of the few leaders we have. I like Gomez, but his fitness issues make him a last resort for me. Would prefer a British player but, quality is the priority.

Spending on the midfield can be done quite reasonably so long as we can persuade the two mentioned or Kondogbia to come (big ifs) As Bissouma can be done for under 30m. Kamara is on a free, but would probably need a 10m to 15m signing on fee. Kondogbia would be under 20m fee. So we are looking 40m to 50m. Can easily sell one of Luiz or Mcginn for 15m or 25m respectively too.

The left back should be a 10m to 12m outlay. The forward could be an experienced player like Suarez, or a young up and comer. The outlay here would be a reasonable loan fee or signing on fee and wages. Then I'd have 50m to spend on a centre back.

So overall business would ideally be:

In

6 foot tall DM with intelligence. 20m

6 foot tall defence oriented  box to box, that can dictate the play. 30m

Young left back. 10m

Top centre back. 50m

Promote Archer

Sub total 110m

Out

Davis loan

Mcginn sell 25m

Ings sell 20m minimum.

Sub total 45m

Net spend 75m

I'm liking the look of Kondogbia and Kamara a lot more than Bissouma and Phillips to be honest. Less expensive and just as good. Sangare would be a fantastic signing as well I think and probably would be the pick of the bunch.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gaz90 said:

With the talk of Suarez possibly signing and joining back up with his former teammate, I thought I'd take a look at who else is still playing that would have been on Liverpool's books while Gerrard was there. Not saying that I'd take all of these at Villa, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two joined in the summer.

I wouldn't mind a couple of them along with a few younger players, if the deals were right financially, but there's always a risk that we repeat the mistakes of summer 2015, as others have mentioned.

Does anyone think that we should/might try to bring any of these in?

Just because they played with Gerrard, you wouldn't be surprised if a couple joined?

No thanks, to all of them.

Ah, another JWP and ESR window.

We'll arse around trying to sign all the above, who won't come here, because nobody wants to actually play for Gerrard or a team who's ceiling under a manager is about 12th.

We will then sign Matic. Proper man. Proper character.

30 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Ah, another JWP and ESR window.

We'll arse around trying to sign all the above, who won't come here, because nobody wants to actually play for Gerrard or a team who's ceiling under a manager is about 12th.

We will then sign Matic. Proper man. Proper character.

Just coutinho and Digne 

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

So we have 2 major problems that need addressing in this window. And 3 lesser problems that could be looked at also.

The major problems for me are:

1. Lack of strength and aerial ability outside of the CB position.

2. Lack of control in central midfield.

These problems can be dealt with by simply buying two new 6 foot plus midfielders. Both defence oriented midfielders. So the ideal for me is Bissouma and Kamara.

The control we need in midfield comes in two areas. One; a player to dictate.tempo and distribute from deep. Luiz does this well, but lacks the presence to be effective in front of the back 4. Two; a player to protect the defence effectively and win and keep the ball consistently.

Bissouma offers both and Kamara offers the latter. This would give us the platform the team needs.

The 3 lesser problems are:

1. We lack a genuine top class centre back.

2. We need left back cover when Young leaves.

3. Neither of our current first choice strikers properly fit in with the way Gerrard wants to play.

If we play with Coutinho and Buendia wide we need a striker that offers goals, pace, creativity, and touch. If we play with Bailey in for Buendia or Coutinho, we need a striker that offers goals, creativity, touch and strength. 

None of the wide players we have offer 20 goals per season, so that has to come from a striker. Watkins lacks the creativity and touch, Ings lacks the creativity, and pace, and strength. For what it's worth I believe in the right set up both are capable of 20 goal seasons. Unfortunately that set probably isn't at Villa.

Now in Archer and possibly Davis we have young players that may offer those qualities (Davis probably not the goals). My choice would be sell Ings, promote Archer, send Davis on loan. Maybe look at a loan to buy option as a talented, but risky third choice.

For the second of the three lesser problems, a talented young player looking to make a step up is what I see as the best option. But someone with similar quality to Digne (only quicker) to push Digne would also be good provided we have the finds, but this is an area we should look to save money.

For the Centre back problem this is where I'd be prepared to pay big money. I'd look primarily at right sided cb's as the left sided offer far fewer options. Plus Mings is one of the few leaders we have. I like Gomez, but his fitness issues make him a last resort for me. Would prefer a British player but, quality is the priority.

Spending on the midfield can be done quite reasonably so long as we can persuade the two mentioned or Kondogbia to come (big ifs) As Bissouma can be done for under 30m. Kamara is on a free, but would probably need a 10m to 15m signing on fee. Kondogbia would be under 20m fee. So we are looking 40m to 50m. Can easily sell one of Luiz or Mcginn for 15m or 25m respectively too.

The left back should be a 10m to 12m outlay. The forward could be an experienced player like Suarez, or a young up and comer. The outlay here would be a reasonable loan fee or signing on fee and wages. Then I'd have 50m to spend on a centre back.

So overall business would ideally be:

In

6 foot tall DM with intelligence. 20m

6 foot tall defence oriented  box to box, that can dictate the play. 30m

Young left back. 10m

Top centre back. 50m

Promote Archer

Sub total 110m

Out

Davis loan

Mcginn sell 25m

Ings sell 20m minimum.

Sub total 45m

Net spend 75m

Do you also send your kids to the chippy to get fish and chips for everyone, and give them 50p?

6 foot tall DM with intelligence. 20m - where the hell are we going to find a smart DM that has the correct physicality that isn't already on the books of some other big club?, those attributes won't cost anything less than 50m.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just read that Newcastle are willing to pay what Barca and Coutinho want without negotiation.

They are going to be a real pain in the ass for all clubs this summer ffs.

hence why people are angry we gifted them a player and let them overtake us in the table from a comfortable position

4 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Do you also send your kids to the chippy to get fish and chips for everyone, and give them 50p?

6 foot tall DM with intelligence. 20m - where the hell are we going to find a smart DM that has the correct physicality that isn't already on the books of some other big club?, those attributes won't cost anything less than 50m.

The main issue imo will be attracting players, those valued at 50m are unlikely to come to Villa even if we have the money. Not many DMs are valued that high btw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I read it as the £20m will be basing it on his Kondogbia valuation or even less if it’s Kamara on a free with a big sign on bonus

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

hence why people are angry we gifted them a player and let them overtake us in the table from a comfortable position

Yeah, because Matthew Targett will definitely be the reason Newcastle start throwing around silly money in the summer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Whether we can pull off a signing like Kamara, who knows but I’d rather see us try than not at all.

The fact that our CEO and Sporting Director are with Gerrard scouting players is a sign that we’re serious in competing with the top clubs for the top players. It’s a good sign.

***please just sort that midfield out***

100% this