Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

The more I think about this signing, the more I like it. He can cover right back, centre half and defensive midfield. He's a lot better on the ball than a lot of people probably realise. To get him on a free really is fantastic business. Also possibly allows us to loan out Kessler + Irroegbunam if Gerrard is confident enough.

Great piece of business. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Well, it is the custom for backup players to not be as good as the starters. That's why they're not starting.
Having somebody who can do a competent job if called upon instead of a kid or nobody is progress.

Fair enough.

Personally I don't see him starting many games so the impact of this signing Will be nominal imo.

32 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I agree, having a player who has over 20+ Premier League games at DM, CB & RB for Arsenal. Has played for England and has had 8 games over 2 seasons in the Champions League. For Free. Excellent business I say. 

...and now he comes to villa - where he will hardly play at all.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

...and now he comes to villa - where he will hardly play at all.

that’s his problem and choice, but for us Villa fans we have an experienced and very capable back up if needed on a free transfer.

5 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

This is the sort of signing that, had West Ham or Brighton made for free, we'd be moaning that we don't find value in the transfer market.

Chambers is young, now has resale value, hasn't eaten into our budget, and will offer competition and squad rotation options to our CB's. What's not to like here?

Spot on.

....is Ayling and Dallas any better? or a few other players in the Prem.

West Ham signed Dawson, who we would have possibly baulked at.

I feel we need some functional signings and I think Calum is one.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

Personally I don't see him starting many games so the impact of this signing Will be nominal imo.

Thats a bit presumptuous, until we see him play for us.

It all depends what he produces for us, but the objective is for someone to breath down the necks of our current players, as well as provide cover.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Spot on.

....is Ayling and Dallas any better? or a few other players in the Prem.

West Ham signed Dawson, who we would have baulked at.

I feel we need some functional signings and I think Calum is one.

Why would we have baulked at us signing Dawson? He’s a very solid centre back

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why would we have baulked at us signing Dawson? He’s a very solid centre back

I think many would have..... not all....it's just my suspicion.

Edited by TRO

We needed cover, he can cover a few positions - if he makes the team it will be because he deserves to keep his spot when called upon to cover someone - so has to be a plus, decent age, hardly a fee and prob decent wage - god we are hard to please ;)

the way I see it, free’s up wages/fee for that midfield destroyer!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm kinda hoping he's more cover at RB rather than at CB but no idea how his knee is recovered after that injury so he might not be able to play there anymore.

I like centre backs to be between 6'2 & 6'4....I like to see some aerial dominance and physical presence.

but thats just me.

As a signing, I think this has much merit as a utility prospect.

I might be way off here....but I think this signing strengthens our hand in Negotiations over Bentancur.....We are not quite as desperate.

We could wait until the summer now, knowing we could deploy him at CDM in certain games until the summer.

I would prefer Bissouma anyway.

15 hours ago, VillaJay said:

He won player of the season playing in midfield for Fulham in the 18/19 season in the PL

Just turned 27

Can play RB, CB and DM

Has 3 England Caps (from 2014)

Is a free transfer

Decent squad option

Exactly this. 

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

I like centre backs to be between 6'2 & 6'4....I like to see some aerial dominance and physical presence.

but thats just me.

As a signing, I think this has much merit as a utility prospect.

Chambers is "only " 6ft 0 depending on where you look  (his wiki page says 6 ft 4 for some reason) so maybe on the short side. Then again there has been some fantastic CB's who's shorter than that.

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why though?

because unless they are ball players some seem to question their value.

I think in some quarters they are slow to appreciate good defensive play.

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why though?

Have you seen the comments on this site in the past?

As has been previously mentioned on this thread we could sign mbappe and people would complain

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

because unless they are ball players some seem to question their value.

I think in some quarters they are slow to appreciate good defensive play.

He’s not a clogger, he’s an excellent and underrated centre back. He’s not a big name but he is extremely effective and his enthusiasm is infectious and it rubs off on teammates 

Â