Formula One - 2022

BOF

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think LeClerc is a clear tier below Max and Lewis

I agree. Max and Lewis have ice in the veins. Charles is a wonderful driver and super fast, but can't quite match the mental fortitude IMO. Not to say Charles is weak, it's just the other two are sodding tough competitors, there is no shame in not quite being at that level. 

I'm not a fan of Max at all, but I have to admire how inevitable his wins are. Once he hits the front you can turn off the telly, the race is run. He won't beat himself, nor will Lewis.

10 hours ago, Crumpet said:

IMO Leclerc is just in the band below Lewis and Max, but above Russel, Norris currently. Be interesting to see what people driving lists would be mine currently would be

Max
Lewis
--------------
Leclerc
--------------
Norris
Alonso
Russell
--------------
Gasly
Ocon
Perez
Vettel
Riccardo
Bottas
------------
KMag
Yuki
Zhou
-----------
Mick
----------
Albon
------------
Latifi
------------
Stroll (would be further down if possible)

I'd move KMag and Mick up a level. Also Albon was competitive with LeClerc, Russell and Norris in the junior formulae albeit a little older than them so he has a lot more pedigree than Tsunoda or Zhou.

The rest is fair enough, LeClerc and Norris have the potential to be greats but not there yet, age will catch up on Lewis and Alonso.

2 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I'd move KMag and Mick up a level. Also Albon was competitive with LeClerc, Russell and Norris in the junior formulae albeit a little older than them so he has a lot more pedigree than Tsunoda or Zhou.

The rest is fair enough, LeClerc and Norris have the potential to be greats but not there yet, age will catch up on Lewis and Alonso.

Pedigree in junior formulae or not, Albon has shown he’s way behind those guys in F1. And you can’t say he hasn’t had a good car

Think I would go for this:

Max

Lewis

--------------

Leclerc

--------------

Norris

Russell

--------------

Alonso

Perez

Bottas

--------------

Gasly

Ocon

Vettel

------------

Ricciardo 

KMag

-----------

Albon

Yuki

Zhou

Mick

Stroll

-----------

Latifi

------------

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Straggler said:

I agree. Max and Lewis have ice in the veins. Charles is a wonderful driver and super fast, but can't quite match the mental fortitude IMO. Not to say Charles is weak, it's just the other two are sodding tough competitors, there is no shame in not quite being at that level. 

I'm not a fan of Max at all, but I have to admire how inevitable his wins are. Once he hits the front you can turn off the telly, the race is run. He won't beat himself, nor will Lewis.

Verstappen has more wins from Leclerc's poles than Leclerc does. Some of that is abhorrent Ferrari strategy but not all of it. Leclerc makes far more errors than Verstappen (and Hamilton) and if Verstappen is knocked out of the race its usually fighting for an overtake rather than Leclercs preferred method of smashing his car into the tyre barrier. 

With that being said Leclerc is clearly a very talented driver..... his lovely swoop around the outside of Russell in Hungary was superb and an indication of his talent. I do think he needs to grow a spine and not let Ferrari push him around so much with their idiot strategy. I don't see him leaving Ferrari any time soon sadly and their car is good.... just a complete clownshow in the garage

With regards to the open Alpine seat I've no idea who's getting it. I did think I could see Mick Schumacher getting given it. Then Gasly to Haas away from Red Bull..... some youth driver into the AT seat. Probably Latifi finally given the hook too freeing up another seat

2 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

With regards to the open Alpine seat I've no idea who's getting it. I did think I could see Mick Schumacher getting given it. Then Gasly to Haas away from Red Bull..... some youth driver into the AT seat. Probably Latifi finally given the hook too freeing up another seat

Piastri is Alpine's reserve driver, the reigning F2 champion and one of the few to win F3 and F2 back to back at the first attempt for each.

The others to do it IIRC are Hamilton, Leclerc and Russell so illustrious company. Its already a big shame he hasn't got a seat this year, if he doesn't get that seat someone will steal him.

10 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Piastri is Alpine's reserve driver, the reigning F2 champion and one of the few to win F3 and F2 back to back at the first attempt for each.

The others to do it IIRC are Hamilton, Leclerc and Russell so illustrious company. Its already a big shame he hasn't got a seat this year, if he doesn't get that seat someone will steal him.

Alpine being French, might go big for an all French lineup of Gasly and Ocon and still loan out Piastri.

15 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Alpine being French, might go big for an all French lineup of Gasly and Ocon and still loan out Piastri.

Maybe, depends on what contract Piastri has signed with them. Gasly is in a very weird position. Long term he'd definitely be best getting out of the RB stable but currently it's hard to find another seat and he's good enough to beat anyone they could put in as his teammate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Maybe, depends on what contract Piastri has signed with them. Gasly is in a very weird position. Long term he'd definitely be best getting out of the RB stable but currently it's hard to find another seat and he's good enough to beat anyone they could put in as his teammate.

I'd like to see Gasly be given a go back in the Red Bull, think he was promoted too early to them the first time. I personally think he'd be closer to verstappen than Perez is. I haven't seen too much in the Current F2 crop of Red Bull Junior Drivers to make me think they'll be challenging a Red Bull Seat in the next few years. 

• Like 2

Well either way it looks like he'll be on the grid which is great news, and at a decent team too. Hopefully McLaren as I have a bit more faith in their ability to progress.

4qfq0gp6j6f91.jpg

Really highlights how far in the bag Leclerc had that race if not for the extra pitstop onto hards.

Binnotto went from telling Crofty live on air that they weren't even worried about Verstappen's pace to pretending after the race that they never had any chance of winning it. :lol:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

4qfq0gp6j6f91.jpg

Really highlights how far in the bag Leclerc had that race if not for the extra pitstop onto hards.

Binnotto went from telling Crofty live on air that they weren't even worried about Verstappen's pace to pretending after the race that they never had any chance of winning it. :lol:

Maybe Ferrari know that they've got so much pace in the bag that they're just messing about before the summer break and then they will obliterate the field after the summer break?:D

Although this makes it sound a bit shady.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/alpines-piastri-2023-news-sparks-more-questions-than-answers/

Equally confusing is that Alpine’s position has now swung aggressively from being unable to confirm Piastri on Tuesday morning to announcing him – without any word from Piastri himself – Tuesday early evening, 6.5 hours later.

The language of the announcement, which did not contain a quote from Piastri despite him already being part of the team, gave a strong impression of a team claiming its right to a driver it has invested in. It referred to how during 2022 Piastri has “been undergoing, under the team’s guidance and its full financial support, an intensive and comprehensive training programme of private tests in the race-winning A521” and describing his move into a race seat as being “in line with the commitments made by the team to the young Australian”.

One can only surmise that Alpine has had this situation checked out legally and come to conclusion it is on rock solid ground, emboldening it to pull the pin and unilaterally confirm Piastri as its F1 driver in 2023.

• Shocked 1