Formula One - 2022

BOF

I love the new covered hubcap look to all the new wheels. Really adds to the aesthetic of the car. I assume it'll be staying like that when they're on the track.

The full sided wheels are part of the new aerodynamic rules aren't they.

I hope the glow in the dark blue on the McLaren is an actual thing for night racing.

The size of the new wheels and tyres are going to take a bit of getting used to - if they're pretty robust, it'll be bumper cars into the opening corner of lap one.

4 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Are we thinking this rule revision is going to shake things up in terms of teams changing order in the constructors or mainly status quo but with more overtaking in the midfield during races?

Every rule change has the possibility of a shake-up, and a rule change of this scale even more so. I'd be amazed if there isn't some re-ordering. It's true that the better funded teams still have the better chance of coming out on top, and over the course of the season a development race probably means those teams will catch up any shortcoming they had, but early on yeah there could definitely be shocks. And also the rule change gives well funded teams like Ferrari who were struggling to catch the leaders the chance to bridge the gap and then they have the resources to possibly stay there.

And there'll also be closer racing.

I'm not a huge fan of the covered wheels, but if it helps the aerodynamics to allow closer racing then I'm all for it.

The size of the wheels, however, is one of the main reasons I think the new cars look so damn good

So some more rules have been tweaked.

There's now a sliding scale of race points depending on how much of the race has been completed. It used to be half points or full points.

Now there are no points if the lead car has not completed 2 laps without the aid of the safety car.

Anything from 2 laps to <25% is a points distribution for the top 5 of 6,4,3,2,1

From 25% to 50% is a points distribution for the top 9 of 13,10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1

From >50% to 75% is a points distribution for the top 10 of 19,14,12,9,8,6,5,3,2,1

>75% is full points.

Also, sprint races will now award the top 8 finishers with 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

And the 'pole position' award goes to the person who qualifed 1st in qualifying (on the Friday) to start the sprint race first, unlike last year where 'pole position' was deemed to have been won by the winner of the sprint race who started first on the Sunday. IOW qualifying determines the 'pole position' award.

The 3 sprint races are Imola, Austria & Brazil.

17 hours ago, BOF said:

So some more rules have been tweaked.

There's now a sliding scale of race points depending on how much of the race has been completed. It used to be half points or full points.

Now there are no points if the lead car has not completed 2 laps without the aid of the safety car.

Anything from 2 laps to <25% is a points distribution for the top 5 of 6,4,3,2,1

From 25% to 50% is a points distribution for the top 9 of 13,10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1

From >50% to 75% is a points distribution for the top 10 of 19,14,12,9,8,6,5,3,2,1

>75% is full points.

Also, sprint races will now award the top 8 finishers with 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

And the 'pole position' award goes to the person who qualifed 1st in qualifying (on the Friday) to start the sprint race first, unlike last year where 'pole position' was deemed to have been won by the winner of the sprint race who started first on the Sunday. IOW qualifying determines the 'pole position' award.

The 3 sprint races are Imola, Austria & Brazil.

This all seems quite sensible to be honest.

Well, except for the existence of the sprint races. But if they're insisting on havign those then the changes make sense

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This all seems quite sensible to be honest.

Well, except for the existence of the sprint races. But if they're insisting on havign those then the changes make sense

The sprint races can't be more pointless than FP3 and now with more points at stake and the new rules apparently allowing closer racing then it should make the weekend as a whole more interesting.

15 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The hubcaps are mindbendingly ugly. Those giant wheels need obnoxious spoked rims. Instead they look like they took the wheels off white van.

I agree. But in theory all these things help decrease the "dirty air" which will allow closer racing.

I'll take ugly wheels if it works

• Like 1