Lucas Digne

villan-scott

47 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Just on the subject of his wages, I know @Tomaszkgets tidbits now and again from the club. Can you confirm how much he’s on, mate?

Why does it matter, what difference will it make? Other than the fact you can insert an exact figure when complaining about the bloke.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d argue Digne is the best example of that tbh. 

£160k a week for a left back used in rotation is a lot of money for a club that can’t finish in the top 10…

We need to be much more sensible as a club moving forward. Maybe Gerrard pushed for it and we can blame him!

Is that just made up? 

He was on £120k this morning.

Whether it's 100k, 120k or 160k, it's too much for what he's offered so far. 100k would have been about right if we were getting the player we thought we were. He doesn't seem to be consistently offering even enough for 100k, and that is the issue.

He's a solid option, but his form needs a serious uptick if Emery is to keep him on. If we can't sell him due to his wages, Emery seems like a sensible enough man to use him when needed for our benefit, without it hindering the team (see the game vs Everton for a prime example).

Maybe he'll also re-find the form that saw him become a regular for France. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Just on the subject of his wages, I know @Tomaszk gets tidbits now and again from the club. Can you confirm how much he’s on, mate?

Thanks Delphinho123, I sure do.

He is 100%, without any shadow of a doubt on over £150k a week. maybe

What a contract for the lad.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Terrible terrible management of the club, Purslow and Lange clearly trying too hard to please the former manager. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

on a 4 and a half year contract also.

madness.

18 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I’ve never seen anything from him that suggests a lack of effort or commitment, certainly doesn’t deserve the dogs abuse he catches here 

No other player is subjected to this degree of a constant cost/benefit analysis

Who else got given their retirement contract by us, underperforms on the pitch and offers us no resale value due to age?

It's not his fault. Bravo to him and his agent. Just abysmal work by Aston Villa.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Who else got given their retirement contract by us, underperforms on the pitch and offers us no resale value due to age?

It's not his fault. Bravo to him and his agent. Just abysmal work by Aston Villa.

I disagree with your assessment of his performance, it hasn’t been great but it’s not poor to the same scale as the criticism he’s subjected to.

In light of your last point, if that’s what you believe then why complain in the Digne thread? 

The squad has earned varying degrees of “second chance” due to the fact that it was hard to thrive under the shambolic management of SG. For me, Digne is a good example of how that reasoning is applied selectively. 

36 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Can people PLEASE just lay off Shay Given? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I disagree with your assessment of his performance, it hasn’t been great but it’s not poor to the same scale as the criticism he’s subjected to.

Fair enough. I disagree.

He's our top earner and very experienced in the PL. He should be excelling.

In light of your last point, if that’s what you believe then why complain in the Digne thread? 

Don't think it's outrageous to say he "deserves" more criticism than...Ramsey...Bailey...Mings just plucking a few players who have struggled at times this season. He isn't justifying the wages we're paying him. His costs will restrict us from moving in the transfer market.

The squad has earned varying degrees of “second chance” due to the fact that it was hard to thrive under the shambolic management of SG. For me, Digne is a good example of how that reasoning is applied selectively. 

Agree Stevie helped absolutely no one.

The first thing our world class manager did in the transfer market was look to replace him.

On 27/02/2023 at 15:28, MrBlack said:

Whether it's 100k, 120k or 160k, it's too much for what he's offered so far. 100k would have been about right if we were getting the player we thought we were. He doesn't seem to be consistently offering even enough for 100k, and that is the issue.

He's a solid option, but his form needs a serious uptick if Emery is to keep him on. If we can't sell him due to his wages, Emery seems like a sensible enough man to use him when needed for our benefit, without it hindering the team (see the game vs Everton for a prime example).

Maybe he'll also re-find the form that saw him become a regular for France. 

Indeed, I doubt he will find the form after over a year here and we should sell him IF we can.

Â