Lucas Digne

villan-scott

49 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The only figure I’ve seen anywhere near that is a claim from a Sky Sports Germany journalist. This obsession with his alleged salary is frankly bizarre. 

Maybe because we are paying a poor player one of the highest salaries at the club

I still stand by my modern day Habib Beye comparison

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not sure what that emjois about saying we should try sell him but we might be stuck with him because of his high wages?

No it’s about saying we’ll be stuck with him then saying we’ll sell him in the summer.

Didn’t Emery say that he spoke to a few players about leaving the club when asked about Ings? What if Digne was one of the players he was on about? Maybe we sign Moreno now and try to shift Digne but keep Augustinsson till the summer. After we could maybe go for a younger LB to takeover from Moreno into the new season. 

He's not going anywhere given we gave him his retirement contract. He's on the kind of money that means his children's children wont ever have to work. 
This is what happens when you get it wrong in the transfer market. Ings, Digne and Coutinho have all been signings that have broken the mould over the last 4/5 years - High wages to players with no resale value and who get replaced relatively quickly due to age. At least with the likes of Buendia and Bailey, who haven't been great, they're on lower wages and have age on their side. 

Digne is a decent player. One I'd be more than happy to have in the squad, but FFP exists. Having players like Digne on £160k a week means we can't strengthen and improve elsewhere. 

Daft. 

• Like 1

We will have nee bother finding him a new club, French internaitonla with good pedigree, if we sign Moreno I suspect, Digne will leave this window or in the summer, we're not going to have to left-backs at the club in their thirties on permanent deals, Moreno wouldn't come here to be back-up at his age, and Digne wouldn't stay here to be back-up at his age; in fact if Moreno does sign I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a deal in place for Digne to leave.

I don't want to keep banging the drum, but it really is an absurd signing when you consider the wages he's on. He's not even a bad player, he's just no where near worth the money.

I really think this is a case of a player once being really good in the past, but had been slowly regressing in quality and was a shadow of his former self by the time we got him. But we still seemed to think he was at his peak of his powers and once we knew he was available, we threw all the money we had at him. 4 year contract? No, problem buddy. Gerrard and Lange must've thought we were getting a world class level left back to have done that.

It makes me really question our scouting and its far from the first player to make me do that. Thankfully, Gerrard is gone but Lange still being around worries me.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

No it’s about saying we’ll be stuck with him then saying we’ll sell him in the summer.

You quote two posts the 1st from a lot of pagss back which says we will prob be stuck with him because of his wages 

The next after the moreno info comes out i say we should try cash in if possible.  Not sure how your reading anything else?

37 minutes ago, useless said:

We will have nee bother finding him a new club, French internaitonla with good pedigree, if we sign Moreno I suspect, Digne will leave this window or in the summer, we're not going to have to left-backs at the club in their thirties on permanent deals, Moreno wouldn't come here to be back-up at his age, and Digne wouldn't stay here to be back-up at his age; in fact if Moreno does sign I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a deal in place for Digne to leave.

He earns 120k a week. Who would take him? 

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

You’re free to dislike or not rate him, equally such a ludicrous comment is so off the mark. 

Not really Habib Beye was one of Newcastle best players in a poor team like Digne was one of Everton better players in recent seasons

Both were full backs given big retirement contracts by charlatans and didn't perform at Villa

FWIW I dont hate Digne he seems a decent guy but he is so poor

On 05/01/2023 at 06:13, Delphinho123 said:

We need fullbacks with a bit of pace and the ability to take a man on. Digne is very tidy on the ball and technically very astute but so often he gets into a good position and because he knows he doesn’t have the pace to beat a man, he just stops and crosses the ball. It’s very easy to defend against. 

He’s not a bad player, he’s just not worth £160k a week in wages. That’s a scandalous amount for us to be paying him.

He’s fine for the time being (I suppose), but I have a sneaky suspicion Emery wants much more from the fullbacks and he may see both positions as a priority to improve upon. 

The thing is, Digne isn't tidy on the ball. There has been a few games where his short passing has been atrocious, his touch is often poor, and he panicks, as rodders said. The back heel to no-one against Wolves highlighted perfectly how panicky he is when pressed.

28 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Has certainly regressed. perhaps down to lack of confidence. Seems much more hesitant to attack with the ball now, which I thought was the reason we bought him.

He needs competition for sure. Moreno will bring that and if he doesn’t step up, hopefully we can shift him. 

Â