Lucas Digne

villan-scott

13 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

He's a French international left back. Yet he looks no better than Targett for double the money and probably double the wages. So that begs the question is he just half assing it on big money, or is this.godawful "system" whatever it's supposed to be, the cause of a player with supposed calibre looking so poor?

Prior to Everton, he's really only played in teams that were competing at the top of their leagues and mostly playing high possession football. If you're PSG or Barca or France, it's better to have a fullback with the skillset to help break down stubborn defenses than the traditional defence first skillset. Unfortunately, we don't have the rest of the side in place (high pressing forwards, ball winners/recoverers in the opposition half, capable passers under pressure, etc) to make use of players like that, so it results in him having to defend much more, and, importantly, defend on the backfoot much more frequently than the game he's been developed for. Heck, we don't even have a striker with any aerial threat to make use of the one thing he was really known for at Everton, his crossing. He consistently crosses to the back post and Ollie is just standing between two defenders somewhere counting the grass.

• Like 2

An own goal and conceded a penalty from 3 games so far.  Unlucky I guess but still.  Targett was a better defender, more solid, and linked up well with Grealish when going forward.  Might have been able to do likewise if given a fair chance.  I don't see much improvement going forward with Digne.  Crossing maybe, but he can't shoot to save his life. 

2 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

An own goal and conceded a penalty from 3 games so far.  Unlucky I guess but still.  Targett was a better defender, more solid, and linked up well with Grealish when going forward.  Might have been able to do likewise if given a fair chance.  I don't see much improvement going forward with Digne.  Crossing maybe, but he can't shoot to save his life. 

Digne isn't the problem here as far I'm concerned he's better than Targett. Our midfield is out of whack and that's the issue and messing with everything else. We don't have a player who is keeping possession and linking up play as you alluded to with Jack. It's all fast and Furious hot potato football as far as i can see. Headless chickens lacking a bit of intelligence. Doesn't help when the captain isn't leading by example! We have capable players but for some reason they are struggling on the pitch.

11 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Digne still got more assists last season. He was fouled for the OG and it wasn’t a penalty in my eyes. So it will balance out. 

Horribly out of form but god almighty people have short memories. 

Parts of March and April he was excellent. 

He's been one of the main victims of our side just being dogshit. 

As others have said, might be a good time to give Augustinsson a start should he impress vs. Bolton tomorrow. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Digne still got more assists last season. He was fouled for the OG and it wasn’t a penalty in my eyes. So it will balance out. 

he definitely wasnt fouled for the OG was poor positioning. what about the penalty he got away with vs Everton, off the pitch so Ramsey played left back to concede the corner for which Bournemouth scored 

Guy has been dreadful first 3 games of the season. Young or Augustinsson should be starting at the weekend 

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he definitely wasnt fouled for the OG was poor positioning. what about the penalty he got away with vs Everton, off the pitch so Ramsey played left back to concede the corner for which Bournemouth scored 

Guy has been dreadful first 3 games of the season. Young or Augustinsson should be starting at the weekend 

Simpsons Dear God GIF - Simpsons Dear God No - Discover & Share GIFs

38 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Horribly out of form but god almighty people have short memories. 

Parts of March and April he was excellent. 

He's been one of the main victims of our side just being dogshit. 

As others have said, might be a good time to give Augustinsson a start should he impress vs. Bolton tomorrow. 

Selective memories help nobody. Feels like the critics wouldn’t focus so sharply if Gerrard hadn’t signed him. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hate to admit this (especially because @Zatman called it ;) )but he looks shocking defensively. Hope it’s just poor form.

Not a bit wonder he's bad defensively when he's asked to be higher up the pitch than the 10s.  If he played as a regular full-back he'd be alright.

Also the own goal and penalty was bad luck, not much you can do about those.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Not a bit wonder he's bad defensively when he's asked to be higher up the pitch than the 10s.  If he played as a regular full-back he'd be alright.

Also the own goal and penalty was bad luck, not much you can do about those.

Fair but he looks very shaky off set pieces too. But to be fair they all do. 

Â