Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

25 minutes ago, tinker said:

The games just started , Barca will try and extract a bigger fee. We can see he would add value to our squad but let's not get to carried away yet, if we do it will play into Barca's hands. Let's use him off the bench until he signs. 

If he scores against Liverpool or city then Barca have a stronger hand 

Coincidental these talks starting after him being 'dropped to the bench!

Bet purslow is praying he has a poor game today!

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

I will be his agent, distract them and demand a £10m agents fee which we can split 50/50 👍

And I’ll spend the next month arguing on here about whether he’s going to take the team backwards 👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Coincidental these talks starting after him being 'dropped to the bench!

Bet purslow is praying he has a poor game today!

Always said Purslow was a Liverpool spy 😉

I guess it makes sense in terms of making the transfer happen - we give £13m to Barca and they take that and the removal of £24m from their wage bill next year - so £37m for them. We spend £13m on the player rather than the £33m it might have been, give him the additional £20m and then pay him about £150k a week for four years giving him an effective wage of about £250k a week which is most likely acceptable to him in terms of coming down from £480k a week at Barca and doesn't completely destroy our wage structure as his actual book wage will be about £150k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

This has to happen - but, it has to happen alongside a plan being made for Coutinho & Buendia in the same team. Emi is too good to be left out. 

I'm hoping we play two 10's in Buendia and Coutinho next season. 

In the current system, it's the only way of playing them both.

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess it makes sense in terms of making the transfer happen - we give £13m to Barca and they take that and the removal of £24m from their wage bill next year - so £37m for them. We spend £13m on the player rather than the £33m it might have been, give him the additional £20m and then pay him about £150k a week for four years giving him an effective wage of about £250k a week which is most likely acceptable to him in terms of coming down from £480k a week at Barca and doesn't completely destroy our wage structure as his actual book wage will be about £150k.

Something along those lines. If we pay him 150k per week he's losing out on about 15m in salary next year. So our lower fee to Barca say 15m means we can pay Coutinho that 15m, some up front and the rest in say 3 instalments over the 3 years of his contract potentially. This works much better for Barca's books as they don't have to settle any of his contract with him. He's gone from their books. We pay 30m in total for him and he stays on the 150k wages we are currently paying. We (Villa/Coutinho) have Barca over a barrel really. 

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep. 

This is why I think we will get a top-notch #6 and we'll see either McGinn move from First XI to the bench or sold altogether. He's not disciplined / good enough in a midfield three to support playing two #10's.

Just now, CVByrne said:

Something along those lines. If we pay him 150k per week he's losing out on about 15m in salary next year. So our lower fee to Barca say 15m means we can pay Coutinho that 15m, some up front and the rest in say 3 instalments over the 3 years of his contract potentially. This works much better for Barca's books as they don't have to settle any of his contract with him. He's gone from their books. We pay 30m in total for him and he stays on the 150k wages we are currently paying. We (Villa/Coutinho) have Barca over a barrel really. 

Unless another team comes in and offers Barca the money they want and Coutinho the wages he wants. 

Cough, cough, Newcastle, cough. 

Just now, Don_Simon said:

Unless another team comes in and offers Barca the money they want and Coutinho the wages he wants. 

Coutinho doesn't want to play for a different club and different manager for an extra 50k or whatever in a world cup year. He's probably going to make more off the deal than he would if another club met Barca asking price. As the lower transfer fee is specifically to pay Coutinho. What's best for Coutinho and Villa are aligned and Barca really don't want to be saying no to us. Coutinho return to Barcelona and we'll find another buyer. Couts might say no to whoever that is etc.. 

31 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We'll need rotation when we're in Europe 😏

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Bit of a concern now isn’t it. They could easily swoop on any player that we are interested in thanks to their resources. 

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Bit of a concern now isn’t it. They could easily swoop on any player that we are interested in thanks to their resources. 

We are generally tight lipped about our signing, like Ings and Chambers.  If we continue like that, hopefully we can make a few signings without Newcastle even knowing.

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I've had mixed feelings about the signing but at that price it's an absolute done deal. 

I think his lack of form was tied with our run of 5 games without a win where we scored a total of 1 goal from open play and we weren't very good all round. Had he started against Burnley he could easily have created more goals. He's a great player and he raises the profile of the club for sure

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Let's loudly say we are after some absolute cloggers

For me, regardless of cost, this would smack of failing to learn from the previous two windows.

We already have too many attacking players with no clear system of where they ought to fit in. I don't think the "dual 10s" works with Coutinho and Buendia both playing as they'd both be trying to find Watkins who, as good as he is at running behind, is only one man. That's before you worry about leaving Ings, Bailey, etc on the bench. 

Buendia and Ramsey are two very talented young players who are effectively competing for the Coutinho spot, I'd be happy to trust them going into next season and focus all our recruitment energies on a DM and CB. That said, he's obviously a class player, and the price quoted makes this a tough one.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tayls said:

For alot of players like Kamara maybe i would agree. But Coutinho. No chance. He wants to be at Villa from what it seems. An extra 50k a week when he has earned 80 million in the last 4 years is going to not matter one iota. 

Â