Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Just now, MaVilla said:

he struggled to get in to the game because half of our team couldnt pass the ball 5 yards if their lives depended on it, its a recurring theme and has been for most of our time back in the PL.

No point in having a world class player if the rest of the team have jelly for feet.

Its an absolute waste having a player like Coutinho in the team if he doesn't inspire the others to step up and make the most of it. That said doesn't give Coutinho a free pass to be lazy either.

There's not many actual top "teams" that play football, most rely on a couple of key players. He's only here short term as it stands but if we have a player like this we need to set up to get the best out of him, it's a waste if we don't.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

he struggled to get in to the game because half of our team couldnt pass the ball 5 yards if their lives depended on it, its a recurring theme and has been for most of our time back in the PL.

No point in having a world class player if the rest of the team have jelly for feet.

Completely agree with this, and it's not where I'd spend the money in the summer unless we can also splash the cash on sorting out the middle of the pitch.

Coutinho in front of Luiz and McGinn is like putting racing tyres on a Honda Jazz.

Edited by Davkaus

Started well, gone off the boil rapidly. Gets starts and left on longer than he should because his name is Coutinho and he's best mates with the manager.

Is it possible to have a manager who selects players, and reacts in game, based on their performance rather than just their reputation?!

Buendia, in a ten minute cameo, did more today than Coutinho. Should have come on at least twenty minutes earlier.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Completely agree with this, and it's not where I'd spend the money in the summer unless we can also splash the cash on sorting out the middle of the pitch.

Coutinho in front of Luiz and McGinn is like putting racing tyres on a Honda Jazz.

lol......classic!, love it.

(and very true)

6 minutes ago, birdman said:

Its an absolute waste having a player like Coutinho in the team if he doesn't inspire the others to step up and make the most of it. That said doesn't give Coutinho a free pass to be lazy either.

agreed, but what i said is also true, if your team mates cant pass 5 yards without losing it, having 1 player who has world class passing and vision isnt going to save our bacon every time.

Its like Grealish, if you think back to all the times he did something amazing then looked on in disgust or threw his arms up because the moves broke down as our other players decided their feet are made of a 9 iron.

We need an overhaul in the summer if we seriously intend to kick on, and Coutinho can defo be one of those players, especially if you surround him with 3-4 players who can actually kick a ball in a straight line, or can hold up a ball without it bouncing off them like they are a plank....

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

agreed, but what i said is also true, if your team mates cant pass 5 yards without losing it, having 1 player who has world class passing and vision isnt going to save our bacon every time.

Its like Grealish, if you think back to all the times he did something amazing then looked on in disgust or threw his arms up because the moves broke down as our other players decided their feet are made of a 9 iron.

We need an overhaul in the summer if we seriously intend to kick on, and Coutinho can defo be one of those players, especially if you surround him with 3-4 players who can actually kick a ball in a straight line, or can hold up a ball without it bouncing off them like they are a plank....

True and generally our passing and first touch has been dodgy all season. Summer needed ASAP.

In his defence, when he was playing beach football as a child he probably played with kids with a better first touch than Watkins. 

Never in his career has he played with the types of cloggers his is currently playing with. 

Personally, I don’t think there’s that much difference between him and Buendia right now. I can’t say I’ve been absolutely blown away by him. He’s been a fine addition and scored a few nice goals, and that performance against Southampton was incredible. But he looks like a passenger a lot of the time and is prone to lapses in concentration in possession.

It’s still not a huge sample size though, and I think £33m is good value in the current market. I just don’t think we need to be in a massive hurry to sign him up without seeing how he does for the rest of the season first.

Edited by abdomlahor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Watching him try and link up with Watkins is both hilarious and painful.

1 hour ago, birdman said:

Clearly gifted but in different ways to Jack. Coutinho is more of goal threat but for me not necessarily a better player for us. I would take a Jack over Coutinho every time tbh.

Grealish could drag us to a result, take a game by the scruff of the neck. Not saying Coutinho can't do that but Jack did it consistently. Jack is also a better dribbler and could hold onto the ball as long as he needed to to take pressure off or to wait for an opening.

Coutinho is for sure more direct but I agree with you, would take Jack over him every time.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Started well, gone off the boil rapidly. Gets starts and left on longer than he should because his name is Coutinho and he's best mates with the manager.

Is it possible to have a manager who selects players, and reacts in game, based on their performance rather than just their reputation?!

Buendia, in a ten minute cameo, did more today than Coutinho. Should have come on at least twenty minutes earlier.

Buendia seems to be doing better recently in cameo appearances. I feel like he and Bailey should be our super subs. But agreed, I think Coutinho should’ve come off a bit earlier. I don’t think it’s his name though as Gerrard doesn’t like subbing until very late in the game. 

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Grealish could drag us to a result, take a game by the scruff of the neck. Not saying Coutinho can't do that but Jack did it consistently. Jack is also a better dribbler and could hold onto the ball as long as he needed to to take pressure off or to wait for an opening.

Coutinho is for sure more direct but I agree with you, would take Jack over him every time.

If you watch him, he is a quick little player. No one is ever ready for what he is going to do. I've watched games and he looks for the pass after a bit of skill and our bunch of cloggers are no where near. Watkin's should be his best pal and play together, but he is just has no idea.

Smith coached the team around Grealish, so players knew where to be.

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Not saying Coutinho can't do that but Jack did it consistently

No he didnt. People forget this now but Jack was generally shite at the back end of the 19-20 season.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If you watch him, he is a quick little player. No one is ever ready for what he is going to do. I've watched games and he looks for the pass after a bit of skill and our bunch of cloggers are no where near. Watkin's should be his best pal and play together, but he is just has no idea.

Oh he definitely is. I thought when he had the ball today he was actually pretty decent.

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

No he didnt. People forget this now but Jack was generally shite at the back end of the 19-20 season.

Are you saying Grealish wasn't consistent for us? He was not himself post lockdown, other than that, he was consistently excellent.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Are you saying Grealish wasn't consistent for us? He was not himself post lockdown, other than that, he was consistently excellent.

No, I'm saying he was anonymous when we needed him most after lockdown. His only goal/assist in the last 12 games was against West Ham in the final game. We stayed up that season, just, but it wasnt because of Jack.

I said people forget it because Villa fans forget this because of how good he was the next season. In the same way Dean Smith becomes Alex Ferguson everytime we lose a game.

He's been good most games and it's a myth that he's only good at Villa Park as well, played well away to Brighton and was the only player who looked like doing anything away to Newcastle. It seems people are falling into the trap of thinking just because he has a game where he doesn't score or assist then that means he hasn't played well, some probably have an agenda because of his close associations with Gerrard.

Â