Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

10 hours ago, Spoony said:

The non-claret and blue specs part of me does wonder why the **** he chose Villa lol. I mean I’m thrilled he did but we’ve been a whole Bunch of nothing pretty much the whole time I’ve been supporting Villa 

If you believe the rumour mill - there was only ever 1 firm other offer on the table.

More the question for me why was no one else interested ? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

If you believe the rumour mill - there was only ever 1 firm other offer on the table.

One easy answer : the magnetic pull of Gerrard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I keep on coming back to this and then push it to the back of my mind as it is slightly troubling. But then i figure out that you have to build the creative side of a team around and through him. And not many top teams can accomodate this   plus the huge salary . 

9 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I keep on coming back to this and then push it to the back of my mind as it is slightly troubling. But then i figure out that you have to build the creative side of a team around and through him. And not many top teams can accomodate this   plus the huge salary . 

Forget the salary as a separate figure - just look at the expenditure/outlay ...in relative terms it's not a lot of money ...about £7m ??? To get one of the best players in the world on your books ?

It's a calculated gamble that he hits the form of around 4 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

“The chance to play with Matthew Targett only comes around once in a lifetime, of course the decision to take a pay cut was easy” - P. Coutinho 

"As soon as I seen the accommodation in Perry Barr - I thought this is the real deal"

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, hippo said:

His stock has dropped massively in the past couple of years. And I guess nobody thought that Coutinho would take a cut out of his massive wage.

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

"Me and my friends grew up in the slums of Rio watching grainy black and white videos of Gary Mac ruling the center of the park in his all white strip"

"The second I heard he was assistant coach at Villa, I did whatever it took to get the move..."

4 hours ago, hong0311 said:

Talked to my Brazilian colleague about how excited I am, and he’s like “Philippe who?”

Apparently it’s pronounced as Col-chee-new. Our entire nation has been pronouncing it wrongly.

how do they pronounce "Fred"?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

"When the offer from Villa came in, I just thought of the historic greats like Hogan, the nippy forward feeding off those intelligent through balls, Josh Onomah, who was so good Villa nearly accepted a direct swap for Grealish, Tonev, who liked a long shot like myself, McCormack, the man who could hurdle 3ft high gates in his spare time.........i said to my agent, get me in that club asap, if i could emulate even some of those legends it would be amazing"    - P.Coutinho

Edited by MaVilla
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Forget the salary as a separate figure - just look at the expenditure/outlay ...in relative terms it's not a lot of money ...about £7m ??? To get one of the best players in the world on your books ?

It's a calculated gamble that he hits the form of around 4 years ago. 

Really, he only has to hit his form from one/two years ago to be an improvement here. All he has to be is better than what we currently have, which he is even at 50% of his potential.

• Thanks 1

If Coutinho does not totally  light it up, still expecting a decent contribution from him - better than the 1 Goal 3 Assists Buendia has provided us so far. An out-of-form Bale scored 11 goals for Spurs last year showing that world class players still contribute good numbers when they are not at the top of their game.

15 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

There’s been plenty of concern about his age. But it’s not so much that he’s too old. I believe it’s more so about his value afterwords. If we were to sign him permanently it would £33 million for a 30 year old with a bad knee injury to his name. 

Is there a 30 year old left in world football who doesn't have a bad knee injury to his name? 

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

just complete madness.

You know what, im not someone who buys Villa shirts really, but i might buy a Coutinho one just to mark the moment that we made the most high profile transfer in the clubs history!

Do it. It's part of how we afford him. Big name so shirt sales go through the roof.  Those precious letters add to the kitty too. People say we only make £5 a shirt? Surely the lettering is all for us. 

• Like 1

Â