VillaTalk Deadpool 2022

Xela

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

So close

I did think of you when I posted. 

You got your Key Glocks mixed up with your PnB Rocks! 

• Haha 1

How the **** has it fallen to me to report that Pharoah Sanders has died? I haven't the slightest idea who he is but seems the sort of fella VT would mourn and discuss his best albums/gigs.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How the **** has it fallen to me to report that Pharoah Sanders has died? I haven't the slightest idea who he is but seems the sort of fella VT would mourn and discuss his best albums/gigs.

Ornette Coleman once described him as the best tenor saxophonist in the world

A true great of his genre and he worked with a lot of the other greats, John (and Alice) Coltrane, Orneter Coleman, Sun Ra, Don Cherry, Jah Wobble (ok I'm slightly teasing here) and his colaboration with Floating Points and the London Symphony Orchestra was widely acknowledged as one of the albums of the year last year

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

A true great of his genre and he worked with a lot of the other greats, John (and Alice) Coltrane, Orneter Coleman, Sun Ra, Don Cherry, Jah Wobble (ok I'm slightly teasing here) and his colaboration with Floating Points and the London Symphony Orchestra was widely acknowledged as one of the albums of the year last year

OK, I've heard of the London Symphony Orchestra then you're losing me. 

Don Cherry might be the father of Neneh and Eagle Eye? 

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Don Cherry might be the father of Neneh and Eagle Eye? 

Father of Eagle-eye, step-father of Neneh and another of the jazz greats (trumpet, cornet, piano and lots of African instruments). Don also got caught up in Post-punk British music through Neneh, as both were member's of Rip, Rig and Panic which was slightly less out there for a Jazz legend than his collaboration with Steve Hillage (Gong / System 7 & Solo)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bickster said:

We need to revive the jazz thread. Even if the above subgenre is a bit 'out there' for my tastes. * 

* Although oddly enough, I do quite like Eric Dolphy. 

• Like 1