VillaTalk Deadpool 2022

Xela

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We need to revive the jazz thread. Even if the above subgenre is a bit 'out there' for my tastes. * 

* Although oddly enough, I do quite like Eric Dolphy. 

Deeds, not words!

Bumped.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

90's rapper Coolio has gone to the gangsta's paradise in the sky, 59 y.o

I was just at a BBQ place in Fort Worth Texas about an hour ago and they were playing Gangsta's Paradise. I remember thinking I hadn't heard that song in years. Maybe the staff had heard about his passing and paid homage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I was just at a BBQ place in Fort Worth Texas about an hour ago and they were playing Gangsta's Paradise. I remember thinking I hadn't heard that song in years. Maybe the staff had heard about his passing and paid homage.

Certainly one of the sounds of the 90’s for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

90's rapper Coolio has gone to the gangsta's paradise in the sky, 59 y.o

I have a feeling everyone in my generation (born mid 70s) knows of him regardless of what music taste you have. That song was everywhere.

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I have a feeling everyone in my generation (born mid 70s) knows of him regardless of what music taste you have. That song was everywhere.

Yup, I mostly listened to hardcore and skate-punk at that time but I knew the lyrics by heart to that song. And so did everyone else too 

• Like 1

I only really know two Coolio tracks, and they are both heavily reliant on sampled (obviously Stevie wonder for Gangsta's Paradise and this one which goes really old school Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel, but I do bloody love both of them.  Definite a time and place thing, C U When U Get there reminds me of a girl I used to know, but damn. Always had  a soft spot for Coolio because of it.  RIP sir. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

I only really know two Coolio tracks, and they are both heavily reliant on sampled (obviously Stevie wonder for Gangsta's Paradise and this one which goes really old school Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel, but I do bloody love both of them.  Definite a time and place thing, C U When U Get there reminds me of a girl I used to know, but damn. Always had  a soft spot for Coolio because of it.  RIP sir. 

Off the two this is the one I like best. For same reasons as yours.

On 29/09/2022 at 08:04, Genie said:

Certainly one of the sounds of the 90’s for me.

I was 8 when it was released and it was my first proper favourite song. Got the single and everything. My parents must have hated it intensly, as it was all I would listen to for months. 

I'm a big fan of NJPW, and although it may be true that Inokiism nearly destroyed the company (shoot fighting rather than pro wrestling), his legacy is massive. 

The Ali fight, as ridiculous as it was, is essentially the precursor to MMA...his relationship with the North Koreans, his political career in the Japanese Diet, offering out a fight in the ring with the Taliban...and that's just the tip of the ice berg. 

• Like 1

On 30/09/2022 at 16:23, BOF said:

I'm a bit late with this one but I'm pretty sure you'll agree it was absolutely worth the wait. RIP Coolio.

Can not stop watching this, bonkers 🤣

• Haha 3