Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Originally I thought I’d feel a bit sorry for Gerrard, but then I remembered that someone I know got made redundant after 10 years service and got £30k.

Gerrard gets sacked after a year and is probably getting the best part of £10m.

The only thing this has done is damage his chances of getting the Liverpool job, which I couldn’t give a flying **** about.

41 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

At the end of the day, Beale was an assistant. No matter how good you are of an assistant, the decisions come from the top.

Sad that at the end - all I really felt was pity for him. Was clearly in over his head and not served well by being appointed this job too early and allowed too much of a say on his transfers.

Number one on a manager's remit is to be able to use the players you have in your squad. Unless you're Pep and you have the greatest array of talents in front of you, you do not have infinite resources to pick from. Identifying what works and what doesn't is the number one job of a manager and Gerrard time and time again failed on that front and colossally failed understanding anything tactically.

He needs to go learn the trade in a league that's more challenging than the Scottish league.

SG failed on a number of fronts, but some were related.

Brentford, and Newcastle have clearly changed their fortunes around, mainly by shrewd, and purposeful signings and then blending them in to a balanced team.

its hard to blend an imbalanced team, its also hard to tactically set up an imbalanced team.....its hard to motivate such a team.

A new manager, needs to emulate, what Eddie and Thomas has done and get balance back in to our first 11, and then maybe, the rest will follow, with the managers touch.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

SG failed on a number of fronts, but some were related.

Brentford, and Newcastle have clearly changed their fortunes around, mainly by shrewd, and purposeful signings and then blending them in to a balanced team.

its hard to blend an imbalanced team, its also hard to tactically set up an imbalanced team.....its hard to motivate such a team.

A new manager, needs to emulate, what Eddie and Thomas has done and get balance back in to our first 11, and then maybe, the rest will follow, with the managers touch.

While recruitment was non-sensical, it's hard to deny his say in it (minimum Digne, Coutinho were 100% his choices while Kamara and Diego might have been more of a broad effort) as well as his stubbornness with a system that did not match the players.

He was not well served behind the scenes but you have to make the best with what you got - and this, along with his tactical ineptitude, was his downfall.

There a variety of formations and personnel combos that have been theorized around here but when you stick with the same midfield that is incapable of doing what you want them to do - does it really matter who the front 3 or back 4 are? The link was totally broken to move the ball, at pace, from back to front.

Edited by DJBOB

Gerrard tried to impose his vision on the club, shoehorn in the players he wanted and make it difficult to have positive relationships. His man management skills are abysmal. It’s very clear that he lost the players weeks ago (if not longer). It’s not surprise that we played well against Chelsea with more width but he just reverted back to his bland Gerrard ball. He became David Brent, bought into his own hype. Farcically bad with his game management. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sarr transfer had a bit of a bearing on it, the club were clearly saying 'Stevie, we really think you need a winger' and he said no, he's sticking with the same shitty system no matter what and it all turned out predictably shitty.

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

While recruitment was non-sensical, it's hard to deny his say in it (minimum Digne, Coutinho were 100% his choices while Kamara and Diego might have been more of a broad effort) as well as his stubbornness with a system that did not match the players.

He was not well served behind the scenes but you have to make the best with what you got - and this, along with his tactical ineptitude, was his downfall.

There a variety of formations and personnel combos that have been theorized around here but when you stick with the same midfield that is incapable of doing what you want them to do - does it really matter who the front 3 or back 4 are? The link was totally broken to move the ball, at pace, from back to front.

I don't disagree, with your comments.....but it does matter who the front 3 and back 4 are....its a team, and we have imbalance......We have jobs, that aren't being done...and this has been the case for some time now, that does not excuse SG, because thats what he was brought in for.

I am not going to speculate as to who is involved in the transfer business, it may be more than one person.....but I have mixed views on the success of it.

As you say, this midfield is constantly defaulted to, time and again, despite, bringing players in......so the lessons are not learned.

However, I have seen the forwards show ineptitude, poor decisions  and passive motivation in front of goal, so its not all on the midfield.....The whole team is buggers muddle, right now.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sarr transfer had a bit of a bearing on it, the club were clearly saying 'Stevie, we really think you need a winger' and he said no, he's sticking with the same shitty system no matter what and it all turned out predictably shitty.

It was his middle finger to Lange. What a joker. Also, he got into fights with local journalists when asked about selections. He just suffered from a constant foot in mouth syndrome. Untold arrogance to boot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah this was a sign of the club trying to interject ain't it?

Trust was obviously lost IMO.

Don't be surprised if they probably though " we've f*cked up here " earlier than we thought.

Good to hear Dan Bardell giving the correct interpretation of Gerrard reign at Villa on fivelive, after the preamble nonsense by Glenn Hoddle. He needed more time apparently. 

Phil 'YWNA' Mcinulty piece on the bbc website is also hilarious. Why do famous ex players get such an easy ride?

Played McGinn when totally out of form, didn’t replace Kamara when he could of used Marvelous. Continually played PC when EMI was consistently out performing him, and then there was last night, why not play Chambers at right back who hasn’t put a foot wrong if you are going to rest Cash. Konsa kept coming infield to his more natural position leaving acres of space for Fulham to exploit.

I don’t feel pity, he was a terrible appointment who was way out of his depth and should have gone a month ago at least.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Point made on Twitter about how when Deano left, there were lots of nice messages from players from players and others connected to the club.

Not one posted from anyone so far.

Telling.... Or partly due to quick turnaround?

It’s a fair point. Not even McGinn had put one out and he was given captaincy! Does make you think..

Â