Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

He has to get fired for a contract pay-off, right? That's normally how it works? Or, alternatively, his lawyers could approach the club management for a negotiated exit? I'm wondering what kinds of long-term issues Gerrard's lawyers might be thinking through at the moment, so that he leaves in a decent situation.

Let's be honest. He'll go out kicking and screaming unless we pay out his contract. It's as simple as that.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I have no problem with people putting some blame on the players but obviously within that you will be blaming the 9 players Gerrard has signed in the two transfer windows he has been here. So we have a manager who has had 38 games in charge, two transfer windows where he has signed 9 players and substantially increased the wage bill, a full pre season and yet despite all that we have seen zero improvement, in fact I'd argue we have gone backwards. The answer to that you seem to be suggesting is give him more time? Give him more time to do what exactly? bring in even more of his own players? any chance of him after a year maybe improving some of the players he inherited as I have seen no improvement in any of them under him and his coaching staff.

The next game we will be 11 games into the season. Take less than a point from that game and we have a worse record than we had when Smith was sacked after 11 games last season. Sacked because we had stopped showing continuous improvement under a manager who had put a shed load of credit/goodwill in the bank in three years by getting us promoted, keeping us up and then taking us to our highest Prem points total since the days of O'Neill.

What criteria is Gerrard being judged on exactly because it isn't the continuous improvement Purslow spoke of in the press conference where we unveiled him. One year of at best stagnation and we look more clueless the longer he has been here more often than not serving up dour, negative, clueless crap.

Purslow now needs to again practice what he preached as we are seeing continuous decline under Gerrard never mind not seeing continuous improvement.

Much of that, I have no beef with, but being devils advocate, let me share a varying perspective.

• Firstly, he has bought 4 first team players, the others being cover as far as I can see.....His 2 marquee signings bought to enhance our team has been lost to injury, the club in its wisdom, failed to buy more, much to the surprise of much of the fan base.....I think that raised a few eyebrows and may have affected Morale.....certainly no one expected the first game result or performance and I think SG cocked up and it set the tone.
  • He has then lost his first team coach, to nothing but ambition, but quickly replaced him with another, albeit without a passport, to join the successful summer tour and settle in.
  • I accept your point of 11 games in, something needs to be done.....I have no argument with that, because right or wrong, this run of losses, cannot continue.
  • You could also argue mark some of the players in the Championship were better than what we have now.....With Jack, Terry and Tammy being prime thoughts.
  • I think to claim the better points total, since O'Neill is a questionable attempt to skip over the poor record over the last 10 years, where a succession of managers have failed to produce anything like a progressive illustration of a winning mentality, where consistency in all forms player and team have not manifested itself.
  • I don't want to keep harping on about Dean Smith and promotion it was a fantastic milestone for us, but we limped over the line through the play offs, and only for a once in a lifetime goal keeping display, we might not have made it....but the outcome was great....but lets not kid ourselves in to thinking it was a title win with a huge haul of points and wins......I accept Deans rescue job, was monumental in itself.
  • Bar for Deans stupendous run of 10 wins, we have failed to display any kind of consistency to wards winning since O'Neills days over 12 years ago and before that was a wilderness too....We have never had a manager with a 50% win percentage record in our history, so lets not get too carried away, with our expectation.
  • Dean was judged on his numbers during 2021 11 wins during that year.....SG has a record of 8 wins during 2022, with 7 games left, he needs 3 wins to equal Deans record, which lost him his job.....I empathise with the " good for the goose and for the gander"

I don't know, If Christian Purslow is a good CEO or not, I don't know if he busy's himself with football matters, like HDE did and is out of his depth....I don't know if Johan Lange is any good either.....but maybe he feels he made a mistake with Dean and doesn't want to do it again.

I am not saying everyone on here is wrong.....That I am not saying....but I do think this is more than just a rookie manager, out of his depth.

I hope, I am wrong, and it is just that.

Edited by TRO

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't disagree with everything @TRO is ssaying but at the same time my problem is you're listing reasons as to why he should get a stay of execution and in my head all I can see are benefits of doubt Purslow is willing to give Gerrard that he wasn't willing to give Deano

I'm now at the stage where I think we sacked deano for less despite him achieving a lot more which pisses me off even more

Lets just say, He was wrong to sack Deano.....does he sack SG on the same basis?

Surely if you do something wrong, you learn from it......I don't know if he does think like that....but for me there are too many unanswered questions.

If someone is saying Steve Gerrards record of 8 wins during, 2022 deserves the sack, I find it hard to defend it, even if there are some mitigating circumstances.

The criteria for sacking Gerrard should have nothing to do, with Dean Smith......They had different timescales to get it right.

I am as miffed with our results as the next fan....but I was one of those, who stopped to clap the team at the end of Sundays games, despite my intense frustration....FWIW

I am like most fans in as much my view, is affected, by the time passing of games......I think he will go after the Brentford game, because I can't see us getting the required points for him to save himself.

22 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Apologies if others have already said this, but could be arsed to read through the whole thread.

YES IT'S GERRARD'S ****ING FAULT, MCGINN SHOULDN'T BE ON THE PITCH

Thats subjective.....even if, I wouldn't have him in my first 11.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

Pub have confirmed it’s him. Mainstream media picking up on it now. Well, I say mainstream.. The Daily Mail. 

Not a great look - not because he’s not allowed a social life but because he does look absolutely hammered. 

Ah OK. I stand corrected!

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

How does this sound:

• Defeat to Fulham on Thursday
  • Sacked on Friday
  • Critchley in charge on Sunday
  • New manager announced Monday/Tuesday

This is what I find so draining about supporting Villa right now. We all know that this is going nowhere with Gerrard, but the only way we're put out of our misery is with further poor results which I can't really ever bring myself to hope for. The last few games have just been a bit numbing to watch, another to add to the list of terribly unenjoyable times to follow this club.

He was never going to get the sack before Fulham, not after he wasn't sacked on Sunday or yesterday morning, and especially not after Tommy Jordan, not just some random twitter user, but someone who works for the club and works alongside Gerrard said he hadn't been sacked and Jordan wouldn't say that if he was about to be sacked in the next day or two either.

And I know the reports say he might be sacked regardless of how well we do against Fulham and Brentford, but I'll believe that when I see it, we don't seem the type of club to sack a manager after a few positive results, easy to say it now, but if we were to get say four plus points from the next two, I doubt anyone would seriously be expecting us to then go and sack him.

Part of me is wondering if the whole Pochettino thing was leaked in an attemp to placate fans this week, and then hope it will be forgotten about if we get a decent haul of points from Fulham and Brentford, not saying there isn't interest in Pochettino, I'm sure there probably is, but as above I doubt the club will sack Gerrard if we do well in the next two, we just don't seem proactive and brave enough when it comes to these matters.

11 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Yeah, No way he wants Sacked on his CV for first Premiership job 

I mean, I think recruiters will have a good idea of what's happened here regardless of what the press release says! 

Â