Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The thing is while they are paid well for their opinions they probably don't watch most of our games, just the ones on Sky, so even if they did put their feelings about their mate to one side, they don't actually have a clue about what we have had to sit through.

100% 

Its why the stats matter,  dont expect them to watch every game, we have however been on TV for 5 games in a row and mates who usually wouldnt watch us are commenting just how crap we are.

These well paid pundits may not watch but atleast look at our stats, our league performance aside, goals scored, chances create, average shape of the team. All appalling. 

One problem the club currently have is this is holding everything else up. 

Take the crests for example. I read they need to be picked by end of this month to allow time for branding for next season. I’m sure they wanted to release the two picks for a vote by now, but they face the problem of ‘rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic’. 

Every time we ‘give him the next game’, we have to ask why? I won’t believe we operate on a game to game basis. What does delaying his departure for the next week achieve aside from delaying other projects at the club. What do you need to see against Fulham or Brentford to make the last year OK?

I don’t think there is anything. I can only believe that the club knows they’re sacking him, they just don’t know when. They’re not waiting to see if he’ll turn it around, they are waiting for something else. Maybe that successor. But they can’t keep kicking this can down the road - there’s a club to run. 

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, thejoker said:

I think apathy has set in. 

Me too

Talk of poch etc which obviously would be exciting but putting a realistic hat on things will get better with a new manager but what exactly is better? The feel good factor has gone, does anyone seriously believe the next guy will get us top 7?

52 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Surprised there wasn't more booing at full time. If VP rang out the owners and CP would have to address the situation. 

Everything doesn't need a reaction, Sometimes silence is where your power lies. 

A circa 60% empty stadium with 10/15 minutes left spoke a lot louder than the booing.

We could carry out  a clean dismissal today and immediately look to bring in a more experienced manager, or let Gerrard gasp around like a dying fish outside of the water for a few more games. It is going to happen, just the question of the timing and how proactive they are. Not very given how much Purslow has invested in this failed project I would guess.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Every time we ‘give him the next game’, we have to ask why? I won’t believe we operate on a game to game basis. What does delaying his departure for the next week achieve aside from delaying other projects at the club. What do you need to see against Fulham or Brentford to make the last year OK?

I don’t think there is anything. I can only believe that the club knows they’re sacking him, they just don’t know when. They’re not waiting to see if he’ll turn it around, they are waiting for something else. Maybe that successor. But they can’t keep kicking this can down the road - there’s a club to run. 

Yes, i also think they've already made the decision to sack him. They are just working behind the scenes to secure a new manager first.

Once they have the new manager lined up with backroom staff as well, then we'll see a full clear out of Gerrard and all the other 'coaching' staff.

41 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The thing is while they are paid well for their opinions they probably don't watch most of our games, just the ones on Sky, so even if they did put their feelings about their mate to one side, they don't actually have a clue about what we have had to sit through.

Yeah I take with a pinch of salt failed managers and dumb biased ex footballers for opinions on my club

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Frankly that is reason enough to sever ties

I mean in the sense that he can avoid relegation from mostly the same position with the same squad, but this time around he has unused reserves in the form of returning new recruits that the board judge to be definite improvements.

9 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

The supporters are just going to get angrier and angrier. The writing is on the wall and has been for weeks. Rip the band-aid off and move on. 

They are banking on him turning it around, winning back the fans is my best. 

I doubt they are going game to game. He is staying I think.

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

We were talking at the start of the season that the minimum this season should be a top 10 finish.

Yeah, as an absolute minimum.

We were also talking about whether we could achieve top 7 and a European spot like the club was aiming for. 

To be honest, if we played like we did for the first half yesterday, I'd be more than happy for Stevie G to stick around.

There's a certain irony in having our worst recent result from comfortably our best recent performance.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Get that on a Banner for Brentford on Sunday for the Sky cameras, Full length of Witton Lane!

Mercifully for the neutral this one isn't on Sky.  Being played on Sunday as we're playing on Thursday.

32 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Doesn't look like it.  Looks like he'll get the Fulham, possibly even the Brentford game.

He'll keep going. We'll grind out results and Purslow will completely ignore the continous improvement and top half minimum comments. 

Â