Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, handsworthvilla said:

I don't understand your point. Of course he didn't make the final decision to sign them, there isn't a single football manager that makes that decision, that is for the CEO / Chairman etc. 

But if your main point is that managers should not be judged (positively or negatively) on signings because they don't have much sway over them these days, I'm afraid I disagree. 

Like him or loathe him, Gerrard walked through the door and within 6 months 4 players with big reputations sign for us. If we're saying that is a coincidence and had nothing to do with Gerrard then I think the blinkers are on. 

I repeat my point, I think he's a crap manager but the profile of player brought in has been good, and I think he should receive credit for that, just as he would receive stick if they'd all turned out to be crap. 

Coutinho was a special case as he and Gerrard knew each other. But the other three could possibly have been signed under another manager, as long as they were offered 120k per week or more.

Look at Lingard choosing Forest. When asked, he’d say he went there because it was such an exciting project and Steve Cooper such a good manager. In reality, the fact he was offered 200k per week probably played a big part.

Same with Digne, Carlos and Kamara, they chose a club that paid well.

2 hours ago, jim said:

My sister spotted him and the coaches at Bake 180 at Middleton Hall earlier. She said they were all in good spirits.

B37CEF1C-8A8E-4226-9A9F-F1A2B34AD1A9.thumb.jpeg.b161aead2ee7d737c72cb15ba2b77780.jpeg

Hopefully its a leaving event for the staff

If not welcome to the Championship 2023

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Apparently spoke to Purslow the other night as part of the FCG. Who knows if true, maybe VT reps know any more?

Don’t worry, there is no chance we are a few points off 10th by the World Cup, we will be bottom 3.

On 12/10/2022 at 13:32, Villa_Vids said:

It is my belief that this is "standard practice" for a rudderless club with no identity. A club that has a plan that lasts only as long as the manager and invests millions into that person is unsustainable by every principle imaginable. Do you even remember the Lerner & Xia years? You won't get to the source of the problem if you keep moving the goal posts and hopelessly waiting for a messiah to come in. You can't simply chuck cash at the problem too & you can't be that carefree with the future of the club. I don't want to have an approach that "leaves it into the laps of the gods"

That is how I am viewing our predicament atm. Ridiculous thinking on here lately - from wanting the opposition to beat us by heavy margins and encouraging toxic support just to shift the manager. What am I reading? Crazy. This makes the club less attractive to potential good managers, and puts the club in a precarious situation. It is unhealthy and illogical thinking. Those thinking like this are potentially sabotaging the club's future too. But I am the guy who wants to damage the club because I believe a young manager can still turn it around and I have some hope in an individual coming good. Ludicrous. 

Lastly, I am not advocating the board shouldn't be vested and consider making a change. I am not opposed to moving Gerrard out for a well reasoned appointment and plan, but not just so we make an angry and irrational mob feel better about themselves for a tiny amount of time - no way. And for the same reason Gerrard shouldn't be kept on if purely for Purslow's vanity and reputation. The true question is what do Aston Villa want to be?

An angry and irrational mob storms the White House. We are just a bunch of pissed off supporters.

There's a difference.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

An angry and irrational mob storms the White House. We are just a bunch of pissed off supporters.

There's a difference.

There's definitely been mob mentality here and social media.

There was post in match thread someone would take a Forest winner just to be rid of Gerrard

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomC said:

In short...the positioning and off the ball movement stink.

Aye. Our lack of natural width means a reliance on short passes, intelligent movement off the ball and the ball moving quickly.

We don't do the "quick" or "move" bit - which means our narrow shape is naturally easy to defend as you tend to compress your shape in defense anyway.

Or, simply put, if you want to beat us: Give us the ball.

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's not just started happening though.

There's such an empty chasm where evidence should be, it's been total codswallop for a long time.

A venn diagram of anti-Dean Smith and pro-Gerrard fans would be very close to a perfect circle.

They must be annoyed how very very wrong they've been for about 4 years.

You are right, but for the most part it has just been pretty normal dialogue between two parties with different opinions. 

Then today somehow the lunatics that stormed the Capitol building somehow became a metric to measure those who want Gerrard out, and how we have acted...

Lost. The. Plot.

And just another he needs sacking because we become ever more divided under this chancer

Â