Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Perhaps Gerrard and Beale could have focused on getting our good expensive players to work well together instead of forcing a failing ‘identity’ on them and the club. Maybe the identity of any team is what’s greater than the sum of its parts and it’s the coaching staffs job to achieve that. What a **** colossal waste of money.

Best we can hope for under the current regime is signing an entire new 11 tailor made to fit one very specific way of playing and then hope that works against every team we face. Awful strategy.

Edited by a m ole

34 minutes ago, jim said:

Did I though? No.

I think our roles have just reversed, you badly wanted Smith out, now I want Gerrard out and we have swapped being the defender of the manager.  

I think we always view the other party as unreasonable in any argument on this forum when we have such opposing views but it’s kind of weird roles reversed especially how against Dean you regularly were and now I have become that with Gerrard.  Weirdly how against Dean you were but Gerrard doing the same you’re defending.

Smith is gone now and in hindsight it was a reasonable decision and I think if Gerrard was sacked now, in hindsight, you would think it’s reasonable in time despite how you feel now.  I hope more of us are on the same page with the next manager.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Posted in the Michael Beale thread.

He was on talksport and two most telling things he mentioned were that;

1.) He speaks to SG 3 times a week about ideas and tactics..

2.) Villa need a strong identity.

It is clear in the football world that Villa do not have a particular style or identity..

Purslow said it will take 15 years to build a philosophy (LOL)

I wonder how long we will continue to have a mixed, non cohesive way of playing post Gerrard.

Maybe Purslow appoints managers based on how well it makes the club look..

DS fitted the image of local boyhood fan & Gerrard is the football legend with the big name and image..

Not a good look that he’s chatting tactics and ideas 3 times a week with someone who we might play against next season. 

Blimey

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think our roles have just reversed, you badly wanted Smith out, now I want Gerrard out and we have swapped being the defender of the manager.  

I think we always view the other party as unreasonable in any argument on this forum when we have such opposing views but it’s kind of weird roles reversed especially how against Dean you regularly were and now I have become that with Gerrard.  Weirdly how against Dean you were but Gerrard doing the same you’re defending.

Smith is gone now and in hindsight it was a reasonable decision and I think if Gerrard was sacked now, in hindsight, you would think it’s reasonable in time despite how you feel now.  I hope more of us are on the same page with the next manager.

Listen 😉 If the board deem Gerrard surplus to requirements tomorrow, so be it. I won’t cry about it and will look forward to champagne football under his replacement 😊

• Like 1

Random insert.

I'm renting out a space to a Rangers fan and a Liverpool fan for World Cup time.

In chatting with them:

Rangers fan loves SG, he said " He was brilliant for us.. just give him some time and he'll come good... Took time with us as well "

Liverpool fan said " You must hate SG... your owners can't be happy... Not good enough at the moment for a club like Villa" 😂

Aside from the split in opinion, I reckon it's also insight into the expectation levels through different eyes.

Split like our own fanbase.

5 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Not a good look that he’s chatting tactics and ideas 3 times a week with someone who we might play against next season. 

Blimey

My first thought as well. I didn't hear it, so hopefully it's not as damning as I've interpreted it, but getting regular advice from someone in their first management job, the next tier down? I get they worked together for a while and are used to bouncing ideas around but it doesn't sound great does it? Imagine he was having 3 calls a week from Deano or Brucey for them to give him advice, we'd think he'd lost the plot.

Beale is right

suggesting that villa fans are impatient and by and large a pretty miserable bunch would be right too

but at the same have we even seen baby steps towards said identity under gerrard? does he know his best formation and starting 11? because the answer to both of those is no for me, if we were seeing glimpses or flashes of something then fair enough to me at the moment we're a kick and rush team

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Beale is right

suggesting that villa fans are impatient and by and large a pretty miserable bunch would be right too

but at the same have we even seen baby steps towards said identity under gerrard? does he know his best formation and starting 11? because the answer to both of those is no for me, if we were seeing glimpses or flashes of something then fair enough to me at the moment we're a kick and rush team

Agreed. VP is often one of the moodiest grounds in the league, but right now, I think it's justified.

What's happened to the team from the Southampton and Leeds games towards the end of last season? I don't expect us to sweep sides aside 3 or 4 nil every week, but for a brief flash, we were actually fun to watch. It's been painful and tedious for much of the time since then, of course we're fed up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

No I genuinely think we have not seen anything like a football philosophy being implemented. We've seen him dismantle a team identity, spirit etc. but we haven't seen him build one up.

Maybe he will but as others have said, look at Howe and Newcastle, you'd think if he was going to we'd be seeing it by now.

To be fair.

In our earliest games, I definitely saw a philosophy.

As I've noted before, at the time, I expressed concern about our wings being exposed, but we were certainly compact. ( I assumed perfecting said system would come with time and signings )

We also did play some very good football at times.

I'm not sure when/where the wheels fell off but here we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

1.) He speaks to SG 3 times a week about ideas and tactics..

I'd imagine only one of them is talking while the other is desperately taking notes and trying to understand what he's on about.

25 minutes ago, romavillan said:

No I genuinely think we have not seen anything like a football philosophy being implemented. We've seen him dismantle a team identity, spirit etc. but we haven't seen him build one up.

Maybe he will but as others have said, look at Howe and Newcastle, you'd think if he was going to we'd be seeing it by now.

Said it before, our style is like if someone skimmed the Liverpool under Klopp wiki page but thought it was too much text and settled for: Liverpool play with attacking full backs 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Blimey

It's almost as if Beale was really the number 1 when he was here and now the understudy has found out he's massively out of his depth and needs advice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

Said it before, our style is like if someone skimmed the Liverpool under Klopp wiki page but thought it was too much text and settled for: Liverpool play with attacking full backs 

It's the Gareth Southgate approach to coaching. 'I've seen so and so coach do this so I'll try and imitate it without really knowing how or why it works'. Though I think with Gerrard it's even more basic than that because he himself has said he just has the vision and it's his coaches that are tasked with implementing it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

All this talk of tactics,formation,football philosophy etc etc etc.My question is very simple.After the number of games he has had.after the amount of money he has spent,after all his talk,and most importantly.With the owners ambition of a top 6 finish..... Why is he still here ????? 

On 09/10/2022 at 13:31, Pinebro said:

Difference is Brighton were always topping xG stats. It was always likely they would eventually click. You could see what was brewing. 

Whereas umder Gerrard you can't see anything other than him taking us backwards. 

I disagree.

Lets take a look at Reality, as opposed to prediction.

Brighton

2019- goals scored 39

2020 - 40

2021- 42

Aston Villa

2019 goals scored 41

2020 - 55

2021- 52

So I just don't know where you get that deduction from....we I do, XG.....I prefer reality.

This 8 games has been poor, on the whole, but I don't see it being representative of the season, completed.....do I see a massive improvement?, No.....marginal Yes.

I don't see how we can improve the way, we want to, with 2 strikers, showing no or little sign of any aggression/ composure/ Nous in front of goal.....These 2 strikers, with decent reputations, need to find some form, before we can have any notion of marked improvement.

The money they cost, the wages they draw, are in no way commensurate with their output......Tonight hopefully ram them words down my throat.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

You're completely ignoring the point he was making though, the prediction has become reality.

So how do you account for the past, which is reality?

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I disagree.

Lets take a look at Reality, as opposed to prediction.

Brighton

2019- goals scored 39

2020 - 40

2021- 42

Aston Villa

2019 goals scored 41

2020 - 55

2021- 52

So I just don't know where you get that deduction from....we I do, XG.....I prefer reality.

This 8 games has been poor, on the whole, but I don't see it being representative of the season, completed.....do I see a massive improvement?, No.....marginal Yes.

I don't see how we can improve the way, we want to, with 2 strikers, showing no or little sign of any aggression/ composure/ Nous in front of goal.....These 2 strikers, with decent reputations, need to find some form, before we can have any notion of marked improvement.

The money they cost, the wages they draw, are in no way commensurate with their output......Tonight hopefully ram them words down my throat.

What to you indicates that Gerrard is gonna turn it around? 

He has already openly admitted he doesn't coach players he is more of a man manager. So how is he gonna turn the crap football around? 

Potter as a contrast is an excellent coach who knows how to play attacking football and knows exactly how to implement it. 

Brighton were always gonna eventually turn it around based on their xG. Numbers don't lie. 

• Like 1

Â