Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

As much as I like Smith let's not forget the run we were on, five or six straight defeats.

Smith was losing games against the likes of Southampton, Leeds and would have been murdered by City.

Villa are three unbeaten, no way Gerrard will be sacked.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

As much as I like Smith let's not forget the run we were on, five or six straight defeats.

Smith was losing games against the likes of Southampton, Leeds and would have been murdered by City.

Spurs beat Villa 4-0 last season under Gerrard. Villa at home. 

Spurs beat Villa 2-1 last under Smith. Spurs at home. 

Comparisons or speculation on potential results can go both way. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He lost to Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Southampton and Wolves

3 of the top 7 last season which was never taken into account

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You are probably right, he will keep his job until his brand of anti-football becomes too much to stomach for a significant section of fans and the bottom line starts to be affected. I think only then will our owners act.

16 minutes ago, jim said:

Yep, they are soaking wet.

If 17 points in the last 19 games is grounds for being called bed wetting, then let me go drink some water because it’s flooding tonight!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Spurs beat Villa 4-0 last season under Gerrard. Villa at home. 

Spurs beat Villa 2-1 last under Smith. Spurs at home. 

Comparisons or speculation on potential results can go both way. 

All well and good yet I remember many thinking how we lost 4-0 was a total freak result, if anything Villa could've won that match. We played well for the most part.

We were rudderless under Smith's final six to eight games, perhaps longer. Meanwhile Gerrard is currently picking up points.

Not really much of a comparison at all.

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He lost to Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Southampton and Wolves

3 of the top 7 last season which was never taken into account

And yet Gerrard hasn't matched Smith's run of consecutive defeats, that's what cost Smith. Nothing to do with Gerrard.

18 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Gerrard needing sacked doesn't now mean Smith should have been retained.

That's a false equivalence if ever I've heard one.

Correct. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Coming from Ireland, I think NWSE should be more than a little concerned about Gerrards friendship with one of the most notorious gangsters and drug dealers in the world. Not a good luck especially when his daughter is dating his son.

You would hope they are. No way I would want my investment exposed to that sort of risk to be honest. 

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

All well and good yet I remember many thinking how we lost 4-0 was a total freak result, if anything Villa could've won that match. We played well for the most part.

We were rudderless under Smith's final six to eight games, perhaps longer. Meanwhile Gerrard is currently picking up points.

Not really much of a comparison at all.

And yet Gerrard hasn't matched Smith's run of consecutive defeats, that's what cost Smith. Nothing to do with Gerrard.

But it’s not about defeat runs in keeping his job it’s about points accumulation and 8 points in 8 games, 17 points in the last 19 games is incredibly poor. 3 recent games doesn’t change that, a draw against a ten man team and a win against such a poor team when both teams performances were awful.  The only positive recently was the draw against City.  

Between our poor run rate this season and back into last season, and the poor regular performances is enough for Gerrard to be fired.  

Yesterday’s result surely isn’t seen as a positive given everything that happened.  It certainly isn’t being portrayed across the board outside this forum as one.

Edited by nick76

Yes we should have won yesterday but he is learning and developing as a manager. We've only conceded one goal in three games and that was against Man City, okay we're having problems at the other end and a tweak might be needed there, but now is not the time to sack him. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes we should have won yesterday but he is learning and developing as a manager. We've only conceded one goal in three games and that was against Man City, okay we're having problems at the other end and a tweak might be needed there, but now is not the time to sack him. 

He is learning brilliant. The most pathetic excuse people give him

This is not some training course. Would you let an unqualified pilot fly you to the USA?

A big risk that just isn't paying off. Surely as a club we haven't gone from thinking we're too big a project for the likes of DS (who bought us the only joy a generation can even remember) to thinking we're okay to pootle around the bottom while the manager learns his trade?

• Like 3

The best way I can describe things is an overwhelming MEH.

I'm just not excited at all. ( Mind, right before match kick off it kind of comes back by default ) but i'm not inspired.

I'm not particularly passionate about him staying or going, as i have no control over that anyway.

But i don't like the MEH.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is learning brilliant. The most pathetic excuse people give him

This is not some training course. Would you let an unqualified pilot fly you to the USA?

I accept the majority of posters on here want him gone.. My opinion is that he had lost his two marquee summer signings to iinjury. Yesterday we we were also without our two first choice fullbacks and then the backup left back went off. These are excuses but we  have adapted our game since the Arsenal defeat and become much harder to beat. Man City are stuffing every team yet we get a draw against them. Yes the football isnt good to watch but we picking up points so it doesnt seem like the right time to sack him. 

Â