Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Pleased with the result. 

Like others though, still unconvinced. I’ve had a look at one or two other forums of our rivals who are very much “Good, glad they won, means they’ll stick with him.”

Now, their thoughts might be irrelevant to some, fair enough. But if those opposition supporters were expressing dread at the thought of playing us, I’m sure their opinion wouldn’t be considered quite as irrelevant. 

However, to reiterate, it’s pleasing to have the three points and us away from the deep end of the table.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its just Bruceball with more money and higher wages that some people like because he was a big name player once.

Its absolutely disgusting, watching with other fans nobody celebrated it as was terrible

Again the weird thing is Bruce had a bigger winning mentality than Gerrard. He won the double as a player too in amongst 3 titles. 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its just Bruceball with more money and higher wages that some people like because he was a big name player once.

Its absolutely disgusting, watching with other fans nobody celebrated it as was terrible

Serious question, on a scale of 1 to a 100 how upset are you that he hasn’t been sacked yet?

9 hours ago, Zero7 said:

BLAME THE COACHES!!!!!!!!!

Yep, once again it’s the Gerrard blame game. How he has the bloody nerve to blame our new coach for wanting to move/change things on too quickly!! FFS, Steven YOU are the manager….that coach works for and is managed by you. Utter and complete absence of responsibility as expected…..but it’s ok as you then told your coach to go back to basics a bit more. **** off you self centred, arrogant prick of a Manager. YOU may want to give it the big celebration after watching that shite but WE deserve better. Please, just go. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I’ve deliberately stayed away from this thread for the last few weeks but I have to laugh looking at some of the comments.

Before City apparently Gerrard was terrible because he was too attacking and not pragmatic enough to adjust his tactics and couldn’t coach a piss up in a brewery etc.

And apparently now, despite 4 points out of 6 (including versus probably the best team in the world) and doing exactly what many were demanding of him, he’s too pragmatic and too boring. Hilarious stuff. 

I'm not sure he was ever labelled too attacking...we have the second worst expected goals in the league and our attacking play is laboured and lifeless. The problem people complain about is his weird tactics leave us exposed at the back and in midfield while simultaneously offering nothing at all, not even a whiff, in attack—how it seems as if we actually have no idea how to attack in a way that can hurt a team. 

Watching us is dire. Luckily yesterday the youngest team in the league were also dire. We play football with the same cluelessness as we did under Bruce. I haven't felt as hopeless and unengaged about Villa since Bruce's disastrous last months. 

Please note that three of the teams that beat us, Palace, West Ham and Bournemouth, all have, I think, 4 wins between them in a combined 18 games. The teams they beat are second bottom, newly promoted Forest, and Villa, Villa, Villa. We are going nowhere, and Gerrard has no excuses. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3

It seems that A lot of people will always find a reason to find fault in the manager. Yes we are anaemic going forward but surely everyone can agree that we have tightened up at the back considerably in the last 2 games?

That has obviously been the focus. Hopefully with a stronger defensive foundation we’ll see more fluidity going forward… pretty much exactly what the devil (sorry, our manager) said in the post game interviews.  

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

It seems that A lot of people will always find a reason to find fault in the manager. Yes we are anaemic going forward but surely everyone can agree that we have tightened up at the back considerably in the last 2 games?

That has obviously been the focus. Hopefully with a stronger defensive foundation we’ll see more fluidity going forward… pretty much exactly what the devil (sorry, our manager) said in the post game interviews.  

I thought it was quite a professional performance yesterday. Currently struggling so got the job done. Now 2 games unbeaten. As you said it’s a platform to build upon and hopefully player confidence will increase. I was encouraged by the fact Emi didn’t have to make a save all game. 

Am I convinced by Gerrard? hell no. Have Villa ruined my weekend? Also no. Always happy with a win.

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

You say that like we were leaking goals. Most of our games are decided by a single goal either way. Our problems are elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Think I'm going to break my decade+ long streak of not missing a single Villa game and give Villa a miss for a while. This shit is soul destroying. The only silver lining is that I didn't have to wake up early this time.

This is like the Steve Bruce era on steroids. I've never seen a Villa team, even under Lambert or McLeish, where there's not even a 5 minute period of sustained pressure in a game. Just 11 strangers having a kickabout and bouncing the ball off each other's backsides for 90 mins. This isn't football. I'm not interested in watching Steven Gerrard claw himself back into a job on a rolling basis, at the expense of everything that makes football enjoyable to watch. Anybody who pays to watch Villa at VP, I salute you. Absolute troopers.

This really reminds of that Bruce era. I stopped going to games for awhile. Then me and my brother decided to go to Wigan at home. Villa fans had been moaning about how we played but we'd won a few games and we were saying to each other that winning is all that matters. 

We won that game 1-0 thanks to a last minute wonder goal by Grealish. But the game was utter **** dogshit. We both walked away happy to have won but with no interest in coming back. 

For me it feels a lot like that at the moment. There's no enjoyment from watching us play and picking up the odd points here and there give me no belief that we will actually achieve our goals this year. 

And that's all down to the manager. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 4

Â