Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

39 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just saw the presser. he won't survive, the enthusiasms gone. I'll be shocked if he's here after the Man City game.

My favourite body language expert. If thats what you are reading, he must be gone 

Edited by messi11

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Carragher saying Gerrard won’t have any complaints about being sacked if the four games after City don’t go well.

Four games after city hahaha, why is it always 5 more games. Some pundits would watch him relegate us for the “project”. It’s ridiculous 

Edited by IrishVilla10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Four games after city hahaha, why is it always 5 more games. Some pundits would watch him relegate us for the “project”. It’s ridiculous 

That would be Leicester, Southampton, Leeds and Forest. The one after that is Chelsea so I guess Carragher deliberately chose the four games between the fixtures against the top sides. Try and sound vaguely impartial in setting a sort of deadline but first make sure the opposition are (on paper) easier, give his mate as much of a chance as he can get away with.

50 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Carragher saying Gerrard won’t have any complaints about being sacked if the four games after City don’t go well.

I can understand Carragher backing one of his close mates.

What I don't understand is the stranglehold he seems to have over the rest of the media.

I've seen very few pundits criticise him whether they're ex Liverpool, Man United or any other club.

If this were anyone else there'd be far more pressure coming on him from outside the club.

Even the bookies don't have him as money on to be sacked next which I find crazy

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

A fantastic post on Reddit from u/Lukesomnia 

----

For those fans of rival clubs who think Villa fans wanting him out is an over reaction or too soon, I’ll break it down.

On the assumption we lose against Man City this weekend, a fair assumption, then Gerrard’s record over the last 17 league matches (since March) will be:

Won 3, Drawn 3, Lost 11 (12 points from 51).

Let’s have a look at Dean Smith’s last 17 league matches in charge:

Won 6, Drawn 2, Lost 9 (20 points from 51).

Gerrard’s wins came against Norwich, Burnley (both relegated), and Everton.

Smith’s wins came against Everton (x2), Newcastle, Chelsea, Spurs, and Man Utd.

Purslow said that the reason for sacking Smith was because he hadn’t showed the continued progression and improvement that Villa expected - and yet Gerrard’s current form over the season would leave us with 27 points… Relegated.

Now these are just the results, the performances are much worse - in fact I don’t think we’ve had an xG above 1xG so far this season, and we’ve had a few performances less than 0.5xG. Not everyone likes xG, but it’s difficult to describes just how lifeless and toothless and boring we are in the final 3rd. It’s incredible that a team with Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Watkins and Ings are just so boring and frustrating to watch.

Not only that, but Gerrard has a better squad than Smith did - and hasn’t been hamstrung by the same issues Smith faced at the start of last season (due to COVID we essentially had half a pre-season, and both assistant coaches left shortly before the season started, as well as Grealish).

That’s before you get into the dire tactics, inflexibility, lopsided squad building, ostracising key players, freezing out popular players, freezing out pretty much any player on a whim, and his general demeanour around the club.

He has turned what was a very positive fan base into one loathing every match day in 10 months. It’s just not fun to be a Villa fan at the moment, it’s boring and miserable. And a few plucky results won’t change that.

Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

It's hard to argue with anything here.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dubliner said:

I can understand Carragher backing one of his close mates.

What I don't understand is the stranglehold he seems to have over the rest of the media.

I've seen very few pundits criticise him whether they're ex Liverpool, Man United or any other club.

If this were anyone else there'd be far more pressure coming on him from outside the club.

Even the bookies don't have him as money on to be sacked next which I find crazy

They tip toed around how bad we were against Arsenal on MOTD, Murphy didn’t comment on us at all and Ashley Williams said that we were better than we were against West Ham (!) and Lineker just looked a bit awkward.

Edited by WallisFrizz
  • Like 1

Just now, sne said:

This has about as much weight as when Alex Bruce talked about his dad.

It's not the worst piece, he makes a lot of fair points. You'd never get that from Bruce JR.

He just falls down on the bit when he says Villa need to stick with Gerrard and benefit from an improved manager.

If we stick with Gerrard, we're down.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

----

For those fans of rival clubs who think Villa fans wanting him out is an over reaction or too soon, I’ll break it down.

On the assumption we lose against Man City this weekend, a fair assumption, then Gerrard’s record over the last 17 league matches (since March) will be:

Purslow said that the reason for sacking Smith was because he hadn’t showed the continued progression and improvement that Villa expected - and yet Gerrard’s current form over the season would leave us with 27 points… Relegated.

Now these are just the results, the performances are much worse - in fact I don’t think we’ve had an xG above 1xG so far this season, and we’ve had a few performances less than 0.5xG. Not everyone likes xG, but it’s difficult to describes just how lifeless and toothless and boring we are in the final 3rd. It’s incredible that a team with Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Watkins and Ings are just so boring and frustrating to watch.

Not only that, but Gerrard has a better squad than Smith did - and hasn’t been hamstrung by the same issues Smith faced at the start of last season (due to COVID we essentially had half a pre-season, and both assistant coaches left shortly before the season started, as well as Grealish).

That’s before you get into the dire tactics, inflexibility, lopsided squad building, ostracising key players, freezing out popular players, freezing out pretty much any player on a whim, and his general demeanour around the club.

He has turned what was a very positive fan base into one loathing every match day in 10 months. It’s just not fun to be a Villa fan at the moment, it’s boring and miserable. And a few plucky results won’t change that.

Spot on!

55 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

----

I make you right - there is now a feeling of apathy and doom around the club. Gerrard offers no connection to the club whatsoever imo, and us fans do pick up on this, as a consequence he is afforded very little slack.

if truth be told it was a ridiculous appointment and one doomed to failure, pretty much like Bruce really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47y1q3s23adjc9px5oaq

I would never hope against us winning, but if there’s some crazy fluke, and somehow we win against Manchester City, I fear 😧 the sacking will be delayed. We’re going to find ourselves in a relegation hole very soon.

• Like 2

Just now, Tomaszk said:

It's not the worst piece, he makes a lot of fair points. You'd never get that from Bruce JR.

He just falls down on the bit when he says Villa need to stick with Gerrard and benefit from an improved manager.

If we stick with Gerrard, we're down.

I've not read it, not really interested in what he has to say on this topic or anything else. But on the subject of his close friend Gerrard or on Liverpool he is a fan boy, try as much as he can to not have it shine through.

• Like 1

Â